Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #21
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craignum View Post
I only collect cards of Toronto Blue Jays players (with Jays as the card "team") Managed to do okay, but decided half way through last season to really handicap myself and basically just play with their current live roster and therefor only use "Live" cards. I feel its going to be a painful season. Feel, even in bronze, my team will sink or swim on the back of Vladdy Jr.. I do think a few Jays players are greatly under-rated, named Gaviglio & Biagini whose numbers dont reflect the quality of their pitching this year.

My biggest boost will be I played Gurriel Jr. & Drury in the outfield for most of last season so both are actually somewhat capable now which will help out a tonne.
Who or what is tonne? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 AM   #22
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
Who or what is tonne? Pardon my ignorance.
That's how some Canadians spell 'ton'--the unit of mass/weight. He's saying it'll help out a lot.

You know how Brits use an 's' in words where Americans use a 'z' ?? This is that kind of thing.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 AM   #23
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Also the extra 'u' -- favour vs favor.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:38 AM   #24
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

P421 might be the strongest league the Frogs have played in so far. Or it might not be? There are elite teams that have already won Perfect titles (Tully Trout, Dyersville Ghosts, Brooklyn Dodgers, Ann Arbor Space Cadets). There are also some really good teams that have been knocking at the door. And there are some...less good teams that have been getting beat up. My team doesn't really fit any of those categories, but this will be an interesting week to see if the Frogs continue to hover around .500 ball.

The Frogs finished today with a 13-12 record, but a -22 run differential. That's because my team was the Rodney King to the Brooklyn Dodgers' LAPD. That team ran over my Frogs in a 3-game sweep (25-4, 12-2, 17-4). Never received a beating quite like that before. Not a fun team to play.

The Frogs' starting pitching continues to need a makeover. Gerrit Cole's HR-giving up ways have made him unplayable as a starter so I sold him. And then bought another one and sold that one also. Brandon Webb is working better in long relief. Steve Busby is still around to suck just a little bit less than most gold starting pitchers. Stephen Strasburg went into the season as my "ace." Not good. 91 Don Newcombe was purchased yesterday and is the #2. Hell, I even tossed 72 Matt Boyd into the rotation because he couldn't be any worse than some of my other guys with double digit ERAs (Trevor Bauer, Sonny Gray).

I was able to add 92 Orel Hershiser as the new staff ace (82 stuff/70 movement/72 control) and this is probably the first starter I have that seems like he won't regularly get beat up in Perfect. 14K PP was a little more than I wanted to pay for him, but it's the 7-day average and I'd seen the card disappear quickly a few other times. And much to my delight this Hershiser was in "mint condition" and hadn't been used before.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #25
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

It was a rough start for the Bombers.... 6-6 when I logged on after work, it wasn't that I wasn't hitting, but the games I was losing were very high scoring game, my SP was a disaster with everyone just over 7 ERA...

I was trying something new, 5 relievers to go with my SP and I think that was the culprit, even though my SP has great stamina (and ratings) it probably affected them somehow in a weird game mechanic way? Not sure, but I quickly swapped for an additional reliever for a total of 6 and I went on a 12-2 run....

Anyone ever had success with a 5 reliever pen in the regular season? Was it just a bad spell?

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #26
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

The Collector's first month in Silver was less than spectacular. Small sample, but disappointing none-the-less. Freeman is batting .415 with 24 RBIs and is on a 17 game hitting streak. Kelly has 17 SBs and a 1.7 WAR. Scherzer has 44 Ks and that's about it for headlines.

Let's hope May will prove to be better.
Attached Images

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post
It was a rough start for the Bombers.... 6-6 when I logged on after work, it wasn't that I wasn't hitting, but the games I was losing were very high scoring game, my SP was a disaster with everyone just over 7 ERA...

I was trying something new, 5 relievers to go with my SP and I think that was the culprit, even though my SP has great stamina (and ratings) it probably affected them somehow in a weird game mechanic way? Not sure, but I quickly swapped for an additional reliever for a total of 6 and I went on a 12-2 run....

Anyone ever had success with a 5 reliever pen in the regular season? Was it just a bad spell?
This may or may not have anything to do with your issue, but I am convinced fatigue plays a pretty key role. When your RPs are in the red or even yellow, I feel like bad things tend to happen. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 7 guys in the bullpen but I also tend not to have a bunch of converted starters there so YMMV.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #28
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post

I think SP stamina takes a hit in PT just as fatigue does for position players. Since my team is "historical" all my SP have very high stamina. When I play solo I use a 5 man bullpen but to me it seems you have to have a 6 man pen to prevent burnout. I tried slow hook but it didnt really make a dent in the issue so I switched back to six.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #29
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

That makes sense, I guess to mimic real life results, something's gotta give

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

After my first 2 years in Perfect was at least flirting with a playoff spot, last week avoided relegation due to a tiebreaker. This year not much better, though...

Although I have made a bunch of updates to my lineup since last year. Finally got the Gary Maddox, so will run an Erstad-Maddox-Trout OF which should be some nice D. I'm a little worried though my power is going to suffer this year - Trout, Bellinger, and Tatis are my only legit power hitters as I now have a very contact-heavy lineup (Boggs at 3B and Rose at DH).

My biggest flaw now is that I really do need to upgrade my pitching, but to get a SP who can hold their own tend to be 15k+, and I only seem to get up to 7-10k before finding a hitter on the auction house that I like better than someone in my lineup. Hard to have patience to actually hold off on upgrades...
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #31
Craignum
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
That's how some Canadians spell 'ton'--the unit of mass/weight. He's saying it'll help out a lot.

You know how Brits use an 's' in words where Americans use a 'z' ?? This is that kind of thing.
I had no idea that as a Canadian (UK English?) thing until now.

Craignum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Either the Raccoons are just in an extended slump, or this is a tougher league than in the previous 3 seasons in perfect. We're 29-15 .659 which is our lowest WPct in 5 seasons. Just taking a quick look at the rosters of the teams we played, I'd say it's probably both a better league and several guys are having off-years.

Both our pitching and hitting aren't looking so great. 4 of the regulars are hitting under .250 including Nap Lajoie (97 contact) who's hit perfect pitching just fine in previous seasons. He's currently hitting .215 with only 4 HRs. Tom Seaver has a 5.40 ERA and everyone of my SPs are doing worse than normal.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #33
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
After my first 2 years in Perfect was at least flirting with a playoff spot, last week avoided relegation due to a tiebreaker. This year not much better, though...

Although I have made a bunch of updates to my lineup since last year. Finally got the Gary Maddox, so will run an Erstad-Maddox-Trout OF which should be some nice D. I'm a little worried though my power is going to suffer this year - Trout, Bellinger, and Tatis are my only legit power hitters as I now have a very contact-heavy lineup (Boggs at 3B and Rose at DH).

My biggest flaw now is that I really do need to upgrade my pitching, but to get a SP who can hold their own tend to be 15k+, and I only seem to get up to 7-10k before finding a hitter on the auction house that I like better than someone in my lineup. Hard to have patience to actually hold off on upgrades...
Congrats on getting that Maddox. I am currently training mine for the corner OF spots with Erstad training up in CF (for some reason Erstad comes only partially trained in CF).

Our teams sound pretty similar. Contact-heavy, mostly relegation proof, but lacking good starting pitching and at the mercy of what division you get put in. I don't worry too much about power because I do everything in my power to squash it with ballpark factors.

Like you, I'm starting to prioritize my starting pitching now that I'm pretty happy with how my lineup is doing. It is tough to hold off on buying certain cards if the price is right though. I just have to keep telling myself that a 20-30K pitcher will be more useful to me than two or three 10K pitchers in the long run.

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 06-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #34
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Either the Raccoons are just in an extended slump, or this is a tougher league than in the previous 3 seasons in perfect. We're 29-15 .659 which is our lowest WPct in 5 seasons. Just taking a quick look at the rosters of the teams we played, I'd say it's probably both a better league and several guys are having off-years.

Both our pitching and hitting aren't looking so great. 4 of the regulars are hitting under .250 including Nap Lajoie (97 contact) who's hit perfect pitching just fine in previous seasons. He's currently hitting .215 with only 4 HRs. Tom Seaver has a 5.40 ERA and everyone of my SPs are doing worse than normal.
Still only a quarter of the season has been played. You might be ready for a hot streak soon! There's some random chance in how players perform from year to year so I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. For example, my 87 Tim Raines (probably my favorite card) batted .287/.367/.435 two weeks ago compared with just .237/.329/.357 last week and a very nice .305/.340/.571 so far this week.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #35
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Congrats on getting that Maddox. I am currently training mine for the corner OF spots with Erstad training up in CF (for some reason Erstad comes only partially trained in CF).

Our teams sound pretty similar. Contact-heavy, mostly relegation proof, but lacking good starting pitching and at the mercy of what division you get put in. I don't worry too much about power because I do everything in my power to squash it with ballpark factors.

Like you, I'm starting to prioritize my starting pitching now that I'm pretty happy with how my lineup is doing. It is tough to hold off on buying certain cards if the price is right though. I just have to keep telling myself that a 20-30K pitcher will be more useful to me than two or three 10K pitchers in the long run.
Not sure I'd call myself relegation-proof. If the season ended today I'd be relegated, but hopefully still time for a little bit of a run. Of course, 45 games into the season, I'm already 25 games out of first place. Ouch...
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #36
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
honestly the only live perfect I would hold week to week is trout or yelich. everyone else is too risky

Lindor is safe for now. Trout seems to be the best. Yelich is good against righties. Waiting on a Bellinger perfect update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #37
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The Colonels hit the 50-game mark in first place at 39-11, leading a weaker division by 13 1/2 games. The league has 5-6 really good teams and several weaker ones, so the better teams will naturally have glossy records.

My run differential has finally reached the level of the better teams at +3 per game. However, there are three teams in this league at +4 or better so there is still room for improvement.

The turning point in this season came early when I sent a struggling Jim Gilliam down to the reserve roster. I moved Jackie Robinson to his natural second base position and brought Anthony Rendon back to play third. Robinson has played exceptionally well so far and should be an all-star. Rendon has a slash line of .352/.436/.545 in 23 games and has really picked up the team. The MVPs of the team are Curt Schilling again (10-0, 2.00) and Willie Mays (.323, 15 HR, 53 RBI).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #38
joehart
All Star Starter

Season 11 (2029) General Discussion

Wow. Your Schilling is really doing terrific. Keep it up!!!

Is that Perfect Mays or 99 Mays?. I enjoyed watching 99 Willie collect awards each year in right field but I may need to send him to CF and finally find another option for RF.

Last edited by joehart; 06-05-2019 at 12:35 AM.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 AM   #39
lightningbolts35
Minors (Single A)

After making it to the Perfect League Championship Series last week, the Jonestown Athletics are off to their worst start in team history this season. The Athletics are in last place in their division with a 22-31 record. There are some really strange things happening this season. The starting pitching, which is usually middle of the pack in ERA with a high strike out total, has the second worst ERA in the league along with a low strike out total. The only bright spot is my closer (100 Rob Dibble has 11 saves with a 0.00 ERA) But what has really been a mystery has been the offense. The Athletics have always been in the top 5 in home runs and top 10 in runs scored (batting average is usually mid pack) over the past 8 seasons. This season, no one on the team is hitting home runs and it has put the runs scored to mid pack. Although the team batting average is far better than usual, it has not transpired into more runs. The Athletics are typically slow starters but tend to turn it around in the hot summer months. If there is any hope for a wild card spot this season (there are many fabulous teams in the conference), the Athletics need to get better pitching and start hitting home runs at the rate of previous seasons. But what can you say, that's baseball!!!

lightningbolts35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #40
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Strange. My stepdad is Canadian and I can't recall him ever doing that. Like you said...some.