Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Minor League Contract

How can I bring up a minor leaguer and have him still remain under. Minor League contract?
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
How can I bring up a minor leaguer and have him still remain under. Minor League contract?

You can't. Once a player becomes a major leaguer he automatically gets a minimum-salary major league contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Bummer. I thought September call up didn't count.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
IAmC
Major Leagues

I once inadvertently went from having over $300K available for extensions to a negative figure simply by doing September callups without knowledge of this fact. I was unhappy :-(.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
I once inadvertently went from having over $300K available for extensions to a negative figure simply by doing September callups without knowledge of this fact. I was unhappy :-(.
At least you will know for next year.
fromtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post

I don't think that is true. Look. I brought this guy up a few times and at the start of the following year he was given a minor league contract.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
I don't think that is true. Look. I brought this guy up a few times and at the start of the following year he was given a minor league contract.
I think that what happens is that promoting them changes their contract from a minor league contract to a major league minimum for the year but not after that. It would be consistent with both of our experiences.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Agreed. They definitely get paid the minimum when moved to ML team but appears to revert back. Not sure what the parameters are to keep the salary. Maybe time on team? Maybe September call up does not count?

Anyone else?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Walkoffman
Minors (Single A)

Minor League Contract

Until a player has enough service time to receive a major league contract award through arbitration (usually 3 years accumulated time) you can keep him on a minor league contract by only using the player on the 40-man roster in September and the 40-man roster in the preseason. If you call up during the regular season but keep the player off the 25-man roster when postseason arrives, pre-arbitration eligible players will revert to minor league contracts.
Walkoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Wait, what? You are telling us that if we activate a player before September and send him back to the minors before September 1, he goes back to his minor league contract? Surely you jest.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Walkoffman
Minors (Single A)

The player will be on a major league contract for the rest of the year but if he's pre-arbitration and you don't call him up the next season he only gets a minor league contract.
Walkoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Good to know

So I can try out a new rookie during the season, bus him back to the minors before the end of the season, and his meter isn't running next year? Useful info.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoffman View Post
The player will be on a major league contract for the rest of the year but if he's pre-arbitration and you don't call him up the next season he only gets a minor league contract.
Yep, this is correct. Players get their contracts renewed either at the arbitration or the free agency date (I forget). If you send a player back to the minors prior to the contract renewal (and he is pre-arby eligible as noted above), he will start the next season with a minor league contract. If you accidentally leave guys on your 25-man roster through the offseason, then decide to send guys down in the spring, you end up paying them major league minimum regardless of their usage. Everything is tied to that contract renewal date and once they have a major league contract, they keep it for the rest of the year.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Yep, this is correct. Players get their contracts renewed either at the arbitration or the free agency date (I forget). If you send a player back to the minors prior to the contract renewal (and he is pre-arby eligible as noted above), he will start the next season with a minor league contract. If you accidentally leave guys on your 25-man roster through the offseason, then decide to send guys down in the spring, you end up paying them major league minimum regardless of their usage. Everything is tied to that contract renewal date and once they have a major league contract, they keep it for the rest of the year.
I believe he has to be in the minors for a certain amount of time for this to happen, i.e. x consecutive days. But yes, he will revert to a minor league contract until he reaches a certain amount of service time.

What's dangerous is letting him reach arbitration. Once he does that his salary never goes away and never goes down. You have to trade him or keep him in the majors till he reaches FA or you will be paying him to do nothing till he retires.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote