Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'm never 100% sure that the AI evaluation parameters we set in the game set up actually apply to lineup choices.
It doesn't. Those parameters only affect roster decisions. AFAIK, lineup/depth chart decisions are entirely based on ratings.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
It doesn't. Those parameters only affect roster decisions. AFAIK, lineup/depth chart decisions are entirely based on ratings.
Are you sure?

The manual is not clear.

However if you are right it explains the disconnect I see. It also seems crazy that the AI would use (if set) non ratings to sign FA but ratings only to determine lineups which in turn may exclude a recently signed FA.

Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
SteveP

Well, when the AI buys a player it's looking at past performance as well as future potential. When the AI creates a lineup, it's looking at who will win games now. If you think about it, ratings are a pretty good way decide that, subject to the FOW on ratings. But the AI perceives ratings differently over time based on how the player develops and performs.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Well, when the AI buys a player it's looking at past performance as well as future potential. When the AI creates a lineup, it's looking at who will win games now. If you think about it, ratings are a pretty good way decide that, subject to the FOW on ratings. But the AI perceives ratings differently over time based on how the player develops and performs.
But you must surely agree that no team IRL would sign a significant FA and then say that player is not the right player to be in the lineup now? Over reliance on ratings for daily lineups suggests just that and is not realistic.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
But you must surely agree that no team IRL would sign a significant FA and then say that player is not the right player to be in the lineup now? Over reliance on ratings for daily lineups suggests just that and is not realistic.
well maybe not a "free agent" per se, but look at adam lind the decision to sign him to his option, the jays have clearly said (and i hope they don't change their mind after he hits 2 soft lefties in May) that he is only playing against righties. not extreme yet but i think we will be getting there, once mind frame changes... (now let's kill the Proven Closer in the 9th with a lead.... actually i am glad OOTP does not, and will play my best reliever in the 9th with a tie game... now if it could do it in the 8th also),....
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
SteveP

Quote:
To a human GM/manager, what you say is true. The reason being that we would not want to question our decision to spend a lot of money on a particular FA. He was expensive, therefore he must be good.

The AI can't think like a human. It learns to put together a good team entirely thru a trial-and-error process in which there are no emotions attached to any of its decisions. If you had scouting turned off, ratings would be the most perfect indicator of how a player would perform. With scouting on, there is some FOW for both you and the AI. The AI "learns" how to better rate (ratings, not overall evaluation) a player based on how he performs. Then the AI adjusts lineups accordingly. The GM portion of the AI may also make roster changes based on an overall evaluation that includes stats and ratings per your settings.

If the FA that shows up on an AI team roster looks like a good player relative to the other players, he will get some playing time, at least eventually, perhaps thru the subbing behavior that was the subject of the OP. Otherwise, the AI may decide that buying him was an "error" and simply move on.