Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

subbing madness

Is it me, or do the AI managers sub for starters waayyy too much. It seems to me when you have players at the same position that may be close in ability, the AI will just sub all the time, and switch positions around, along with the batting order. I realize this happens sometimes, but the frequency OOTP does it seems a bit over the top to me.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

It can be changed in Strategy...
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It can? Without interfering with AI managers?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Change the AI manager thresholds.

This was a confusing response. Please ignore

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 12-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm...is this something I'm not aware of? What exactly is this?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Do you mean how often the computer subs for players e.g....every 3rd game or whatever? If so, the only problem with that is the AI controlled teams do the same. (I am letting my manager control depth charts, while I control the batting lineup. So I will in a way determine the starters by inserting them into the lineup...and then generate a depth chart)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I believe they are referring to this screen which controls just your team:

Attachment 316129

You also have league-wide control here:

Attachment 316130

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 12-16-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I should have been more clear. When I say "subbing" I mean depth chart and lineup changes.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I see what you mean...

I guess those setting that I pointed only control in-game. You are tlaking about pregame line-ups.

I'm not sure I have seen any settings to control that. For sure this is a weakness, albiet minor, of the game.

Kinda major though especially when you see a slow running low OBP C leading off.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Oh...

Like most of us I guess you are using "sabermetrics" as the preference when selecting line-ups. Have you tried Traditional with any degree of improved performance?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Actually I am not..I just have a lot of players who are similar in talent level.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I doubt it would make much difference anyway.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

That's what I figured.

I am just going to fill out all depth and lineup charts myself...I guess I should be anyway.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 12-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

This is why I stopped simming more than 1 game at a time a long time ago.

I click play game then set the line-ups in-game and then I click sim game. It's a one day at a time process for me until AI depth chart management is improved.

In any event, I have found out that I really prefer to sim one at a time anyway. More immersive for me that way.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I do the same HP...and I do it in 5x real time. I watch the games from the game cast screen...that's why I'm really hoping that's improved for v15 also. The only problem is the AI teams are subject to the same horrible depth chart management.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
SteveP

This behavior is definitely built into the AI programming. Whether it is a feature or a problem is a matter of taste. I assume that the intention is to ensure that good players get a reasonable number of ABs during the season. Among other things, this improves the AI's ability to judge the value of players, which it can't do very well without good stat levels (unless you are playing with the AI to evaluate on ratings only).

Since the players involved tend to be close in ability, I doubt that this behavior has a significant adverse impact on how well AI teams do during a season. But it would be difficult to test that, I think.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
This behavior is definitely built into the AI programming. Whether it is a feature or a problem is a matter of taste. I assume that the intention is to ensure that good players get a reasonable number of ABs during the season. Among other things, this improves the AI's ability to judge the value of players, which it can't do very well without good stat levels (unless you are playing with the AI to evaluate on ratings only).

Since the players involved tend to be close in ability, I doubt that this behavior has a significant adverse impact on how well AI teams do during a season. But it would be difficult to test that, I think.
related: is the behaviour also built at the minors level? something i feel the AI just moves guys between A+ and A teams (technically almost same level in OOTP), just to optimize line-ups on a daily basis. so they make sure tehy have subs there available.

Last edited by le receveur; 12-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
related: is the behaviour also built at the minors level? something i feel the AI just moves guys between A+ and A teams (technically almost same level in OOTP), just to optimize line-ups on a daily basis. so they make sure tehy have subs there available.
I think it's similar only to the extent that the players involved are often very close in ability. The AI has no memory. It doesn't know it's bouncing the same guys between two teams. What happens (AFAIK) is that the AI makes roster decisions at certain intervals, and simply makes a different decision than it did the last time. It's possible that this results from a change to it's evaluation of each player. Or it could be a sort of random thing.

I think some of this stuff, altho irritating to look at, may be helping the AI to learn about the players in its own peculiar way. Or, at least, that's what I tell myself.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I think it's similar only to the extent that the players involved are often very close in ability. The AI has no memory. It doesn't know it's bouncing the same guys between two teams. What happens (AFAIK) is that the AI makes roster decisions at certain intervals, and simply makes a different decision than it did the last time. It's possible that this results from a change to it's evaluation of each player. Or it could be a sort of random thing.

I think some of this stuff, altho irritating to look at, may be helping the AI to learn about the players in its own peculiar way. Or, at least, that's what I tell myself.
i did notice the one year i let the AI do it, each of my affiliates ran away with the championships (whereas i was mainly contending the year before when i managed), so yes it probably optimized the results. (of course the releasing of prospects was an issue)....
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I should have been more clear. When I say "subbing" I mean depth chart and lineup changes.
I'm never 100% sure that the AI evaluation parameters we set in the game set up actually apply to lineup choices. I also suspect that the AI sensitivity to whatever it is using to choose lineups is way too high. I see starting 2B replaced by another IF after the latter gets an in season ratings boost. Even when stats make up the majority of the evaluation. OTOH you will see a very good ratings player batting 0.180 stay in the 3rd slot for all of a season unless you intervene.

AI trades can be a disaster to lineup stability. A certain team will trade for a great hitter/poor fielder and the result can be a cascade of 3-5 position changes in order to fit them into the lineup.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote