Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
TBirdEvans
Bat Boy

Best Prospects?

I'm trying to create the best team that will be deadly later on by trading great players to get prospects that will be amazing in a few years.
So who are the best prospects to get?
TBirdEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdEvans View Post
I'm trying to create the best team that will be deadly later on by trading great players to get prospects that will be amazing in a few years.
So who are the best prospects to get?
To be honest, your best shot at this is creating a league with an inaugural draft. Draft the youngest, highest potential players. The AI undervalues them a lot, so they should be easy to draft too.

Also if you already created a league. Go to "active player list" and sort by batting potential.
KingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

Funny, anyone with a HIGH poential, yet still low overall rating, the Computer Oponnent still values it extremely high, and I can't seem to pry them away.
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
TBirdEvans
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Brian View Post
Funny, anyone with a HIGH poential, yet still low overall rating, the Computer Oponnent still values it extremely high, and I can't seem to pry them away.
and then when the computer tries to trade for someone you have with high potential they offer you jack squat
TBirdEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
WACo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Brian View Post
So true. Using the 20-80 scale, I offer a 66/68 for a 23/78 minor leaguer plys toss in another prospect (34/68) and the AI wants my 80/80 or 78/78 all stars. I've even tried to trade identically rated prospects at the same position, and the AI still demands 60+/70+ starter in addition to the identical prospect, despite the fact that the starter ahead of the prospect is basically an all star level, and it has a well rated player at the additional player's position. Basically when trading a well rated prospect, even one the don't need, they demand another starter, often one at a position they don't even need The AI is messed up for this
WACo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACo View Post
So true. Using the 20-80 scale, I offer a 66/68 for a 23/78 minor leaguer plys toss in another prospect (34/68) and the AI wants my 80/80 or 78/78 all stars.
Yes. I've seen this too. Very frustrating.
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
McGuiser
Major Leagues

That is why I have stopped my iOOTP13 season and started a new one using iOOTP12, and why I might do the once unthinkable -- not buy the next version.

If the designers believe the iOOTP13 trading dynamics please some gamers, OK, but I hope that they allow us a choice of trading difficulty levels, with the iOOTP12 version available.

Is the current level close to MLB? Maybe, but giving us an option won't damage the game for players who want that. They can have rainouts, too.

Any game appealing to dynasty-builders has to make trading one of the central pleasures. Ignoring that, I think, cripples Basketball Dynasty Manager 13 as much as its other flaws (One of which flaws, as an aside, is giving drafted players last names like Wasupbitch and Earsnosethroat -- what was the designer thinking?).
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Star Chamber
Minors (Double A)

But according to Sebastian, the game is perfectly playable...bull****.
Star Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Chamber View Post
Do you ever do anything apart from moan .....

Disco Dog 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Star Chamber
Minors (Double A)

I'll stop moaning when they fix some--just SOME--of the issues with this game. Until then, I'm as much a paying customer as you are. If you don't like the moaning, don't read it...otherwise...TS.
Star Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Perfectly playable

I do not see anything that makes iOOTP unplayable, although I prefer the previous iteration for those trading issues I mentioned.

If you want to see an unplayable game, sample Basketball Dynasty Manager 13. In that game, there is no way to tell if a trade will be acceptable to the other team (beyond a vague, uncalibrated bar), and if you are turned down for a trade that other team decreases its willingness to make a deal with you later.

My only complaint about the iOOTP developers is that they spent time on a hockey (hockey!) game rather than a basketball game. Sure iOOTP updates are sometimes delayed, and some bugs persist, but the game is still excellent, in my opinion.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Chamber View Post
The game is very playable. The trades in 13 are actually more realistic -- though this makes the game less fun IMHO.....
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdEvans View Post
I'm trying to create the best team that will be deadly later on by trading great players to get prospects that will be amazing in a few years. So who are the best prospects to get?
The hardest players to get are ace starters, followed by top of the order guys, followed by middle of the lineup guys. So your first priority is an ace. Look for high Stuff+Movement and better than average control, stamina, and durability.

Your middle of the lineup guys are more valuable but also more prevalent. Look for high contact + power, with bonus points for eye.

Top of the lineup guys are hard to find in my experience. Good hitters usually want to be middle of the order even if they have no power! Look for good contact + eye and good baserunning with bonus points for gap power and stealing.

It's OK if you can't find an ideal top of the order hitter, but you can't have a consistent winner without good middle of the order hitters, especially at 3 and 4.

All that aside, I'm not sure I agree with your philosophy. Top prospects don't always develop into top players. You could easily trade a star for a prospect and wind up with nothing to show for it.

You'll probably get better results trading for proven players if your budget supports it, or a blended approach if it does not. The only times I will trade a proven starter are:

1. he is in the last year of his contract and I won't be able to re-sign him;

2. he is over 30 and I judge him to be in decline;

3. he is coming off an injury and seems to no longer be worth the salary;

4. he's a starter but not an important one and I need to shed salary to sign a better player to an extension.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote