Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
WACo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is the injury code broken for fictional leagues?

It seems broken to me, based on several fictional leagues I have made and managed for 6+ seasons each. Its ridiculous that I have 5 of my original starting position players on IR at the same time within 5 weeks of starting the season (all 3 weeks or more), as well as my pitching ace going down for 5 months just now, and my replacement 1B just went out for 11 months in the same game for a grand total of 7 on the DL, none for less than 4 weeks. And every season I have typically had at least 3 (and as many as 5)starters spend a month or more on DL at the same time, and I rarely go through a season without losing at least 1player for the year before the allstar game. I've even had a DH go out for 11 months (how does a DH severely tear a labrum?)

This is with fictional leagues. I'm a fan of the Colorado Rockies, so I know all about 1-2 star players on the DL (Tulo, Cargo), but 7, and multiple trips for several players? These guys are not rated as "fragile" either, but "normal".

The rate seems inordinately high, as does the severity. I like the challenge of managing past injuries, but this seems like battle casualty rates, not baseball.

On off isn't good enough with the ridiculous rates/severity I have seen.

Perhaps options to set the rate to Normal, Low (reduce probabilities by half), Off, and a setting for severity to Normal or Low (reduced permanent consequences, injury lengths in half), or off (no permanent consequences, injury length in half and limited to 30 days max).
WACo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Star Chamber
Minors (Double A)

God knows 2013 has issues, but I've never seen anything like that. Think you've just been spectacularly unlucky.
Star Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Maybe try this?

I have had the same problem. This became intolerable when in quick succession I lost my RF for months, then I lost his replacement RF for months, and then I lost his replacement RF for several months.

I have also had my top three SPs out for extended periods, and you know what that means.

So my new house rule:

When a player goes on the DL for more than a week, I turn off injuries. When that player returns, I turn injuries back on.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

I've had the problem too. I lost 3 SPs and a few position players. But it is no differnet than the Yankees in 2013. They were decimated.

In iOOTP I accepted it, and the following year I had just 1 or 2 injuries to bench players. It is fate. So I lived with it, and won the WOrd Series in both.
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
McGuiser
Major Leagues

I do not believe in fate, but I have a healthy respect for chance.

For me, life is too short to invest time in building a team only to lose a season to multiple crippling injuries. When I want annoyance, I have world and national news.

The 1993 Yankees should be my evidence, not yours -- if professional sports could eliminate in juries, they would.

iOOTP's designers wisely keep the game free of out rain-outs, and I keep my teams free of multiple injuries. One injury at a time is an amusing enough challenge for me.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

I've also been decimated by injuries, so much so that I don't really trust the "Durable" tag some players get. It's so variable from year to year, though, that I doubt it's a bug. It's just that the game decides in advance (I believe) whether to set the "Snakebit" setting for your team from off to on.

Here is one of my worst seasons for injuries, from iOOTP 12. Most of those were lengthy, but only two were season ending. As I recall, we won the title that year once we got two of our aces back.
Attached Images
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
whipple.ck
Bat Boy

I get the feeling when the team you build is too good the game has a mechanism to balance things out -- especially just before the playoffs. For that reason I wasn't surprised when my 24-year-old future HOFer got a career ender in September. Usually some key player goes down for months.