Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
mrbloop
Bat Boy

Card Hoarding

Does anyone else think collection card hoarding has become a major problem in the game? As PT20 has progressed, the amount of hoarding has increased drastically--there are fifty pages of non-live DET cards in the AH right now, while there were two or three pages yesterday.

The game already has an extreme scarcity of some key cards given its size, and that's been exacerbated by a couple of AH "whales" who hoard 5+ copies of perfect/diamond cards to resell.

I don't mind certain people playing this as a "market game," but I think it would be better for the community as a whole if there were some limit (e.g. 2 or 3) to the number of copies of a card that one could hold.

Last edited by mrbloop; 10-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.
mrbloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

People aren't hoarding perfect or high quality diamond cards since no one uses those just to finish missions. It's not like any of these cards are relevant to play the game, so if you don't want to participate in the market collections industrial complex you don't have to.

Or you can just buy a copy early yourself...

Last edited by dkgo; 10-22-2019 at 02:32 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
bailey
Hall Of Famer

It's been going on for some time, but is a temporary phase because PT is still not a finished product. Pack prizes from tournaments, I think, will cause most prices to come back down, but until then save your PP or buy iron and bronze cards to win packs in iron and bronze tournaments.

When you unpack that rare classic diamond, you will appreciate the whale to sell it to.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
When you unpack that rare classic diamond, you will appreciate the whale to sell it to.
This. It is good to have a market for that card that will fund your entire f2p roster.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
ButtersFTW
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbloop View Post
Does anyone else think collection card hoarding has become a major problem in the game? As PT20 has progressed, the amount of hoarding has increased drastically--there are fifty pages of non-live DET cards in the AH right now, while there were two or three pages yesterday.

The game already has an extreme scarcity of some key cards given its size, and that's been exacerbated by a couple of AH "whales" who hoard 5+ copies of perfect/diamond cards to resell.

I don't mind certain people playing this as a "market game," but I think it would be better for the community as a whole if there were some limit (e.g. 2 or 3) to the number of copies of a card that one could hold.
The market model they've chosen would be just fine, if the game had the numbers of players needed for it to work, which it has nowhere close to that number.

The solution is initially make getting any card you want "easy" so to attract the most players your going to get and then make it more difficult. Youll lose some in the change, but youll net better in the end.
ButtersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtersFTW View Post
The market model they've chosen would be just fine, if the game had the numbers of players needed for it to work, which it has nowhere close to that number.

The solution is initially make getting any card you want "easy" so to attract the most players your going to get and then make it more difficult. Youll lose some in the change, but youll net better in the end.
The market model we have chosen works just fine. It's a free market, people are able to manage their cards as they see fit. We are always watching and analyzing the way people are using their cards/AH and evaluating what changes, if any, we want to make in the future.

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jardine View Post
The market model we have chosen works just fine. It's a free market, people are able to manage their cards as they see fit. We are always watching and analyzing the way people are using their cards/AH and evaluating what changes, if any, we want to make in the future.
I think I agree with this, but more participants make for a better market. I note that there only a few hundred more teams in PT20 than in PT19, so no growth in the number of participants from one year to the next.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I think I agree with this, but more participants make for a better market. I note that there only a few hundred more teams in PT20 than in PT19, so no growth in the number of participants from one year to the next.
Not necessarily true.

There is more to do with the AH now than in 19 (with collections). Once tournaments gets added, that adds another wrinkle to AH activity. Adding teams doesnt alleviate the AH grind, its giving people more and more options on what to do with their cards/acquiring new cards

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jardine View Post
Once tournaments gets added, that adds another wrinkle to AH activity.
This is the crucial part here. The game is still incomplete. Right now, 80% of cards in the game are no use for anything once you are at least in Gold League or so, or they happen to be part of the team missions you're after.

But something like Silver Tournaments, Bronze Tournaments, or even whacky things like 1930s-to-1950s All Stars Tournaments could *really* shake up things dramatically in the game.

So, when are we getting tournaments? Any..? No..?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
MrBungle
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Fully agree, even though I do like that they added missions

Solution I believe would work is being able to sell locked cards, albeit with a high house cut percentage. This way we can get rid of cards we do not want, but not mess much with ootp's revenue model. Maybe we could only sell a certain number of locked cards a day/week/month so the AH doesn't get totally over flooded.

Last edited by MrBungle; 10-28-2019 at 10:13 PM.
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

that "solution" would destroy the economy as has been discussed many times
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

I have to agree that the main problem with the market in this game is the lack of participants. It's far too easy for a single individual to disrupt the market.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Or fix the way collections work so that bottlenecking a single card isn't effective. People are doing missions now because it's a Skinner box game and they feel committed based on the investment they've put into it so far, but they are really really not fun. Refreshing the auction house a zillion times day after day just hoping for one specific card to show up at a decent price isn't enjoyable and doesn't require strategy. Good gameplay features let players make decisions. The only decision with collections the way they are now is "do I play or not"

Last edited by dkgo; 10-29-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
I have to agree that the main problem with the market in this game is the lack of participants. It's far too easy for a single individual to disrupt the market.
I think lack of participants and also lack of new cards influx. Given that pretty much nothing rewards you with packs or even random individual cards (daily login reward would be a cool addition) there isn't a huge amount of new cards being generated. (at least that's what it looks like)
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The hope is that tournaments will at some point be here and reward enough PACKS (not crappy special editions like so many collections) to inject life into the market.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Or fix the way collections work so that bottlenecking a single card isn't effective.
ElementalKnight is playing his own game with the rest of us, and single-handedly ruining this feature. He must also enjoy pulling the wings off flies.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #17
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

There are a lot more people than him. It was pretty clear from the on-set how to manipulate such a primitive market, especially once the first collections dropped and everyone saw that they would require specific cards
Old 10-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
There are a lot more people than him. It was pretty clear from the on-set how to manipulate such a primitive market, especially once the first collections dropped and everyone saw that they would require specific cards

I saw a Silver 70 card yesterday listed for like 3k and you'd never want to play it. The reward for the collection? 2 standard packs or 2k to straight up buy them.

Boy, that's fun! You can keep your card.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #19
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are a lot more people than him.
It's mostly him. I am sure there are some copycats, and some devotees who watch his podcast and read his newsletter.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
I saw a Silver 70 card yesterday listed for like 3k and you'd never want to play it. The reward for the collection? 2 standard packs or 2k to straight up buy them.

Boy, that's fun! You can keep your card.
That silver card is either part of a live mission or a team mission, so you can't determine its value based on a "pack" mission.
The pack missions are bonuses to the team missions.