Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Who own's the rights to the WHA(logos,videos,etc)?

We have NHL Network in the USA and they hardly ever show a thing about the WHA.

Some stuff in the past could be found on YouTube.

Someone posted audio from a Balt Blades game vs Toronto (Global TV broadcast) a few years ago and don't know if its still on YouTube.

I did buy the book that published all the WHA League Media Guides from 72-73 through 78-79.

I was just wondering since it is a defunct league and not sure of ownership of what remains.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
rain94
Minors (Single A)

You'll have to go through each trademark and check if it's still active. Some trademarks are extended well past the date that the team became defunct. This is due to the value that some old teams still have in the memorabilia market.

Here's one for the Michigan Stags that were moved to Baltimore and became the Blades. This trademark was renewed until 2007 when it was finally cancelled. So at this point, it is public domain.
Attached Images

Last edited by rain94; 10-14-2019 at 04:54 PM.
rain94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Does that mean that FHM can use the Michigan Stags logo?

I don't think they ever recognized the Baltimore Blades(since they didn't start a season and only finished the 1974-75 season).
Old 10-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
rain94
Minors (Single A)

I'm not an attorney on trademarks so I can't say. I just know that it is public domain at this point. Amazingly, the Birmingham Bulls trademarks are still live (Active). I didn't find anything in the database for the Baltimore Blades. As for the YT video that you mentioned of the game between Blades and Toronto Toros.. the video is still there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzf51HlV3Y
Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

What about the first Minnesota Fighting Saints team since they folded and then another team(Cleveland Crusaders) moved to Minnesota (using the same Fighting Saints name)) who used a similar logo(but different colors)?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't the Bulls logo the same as the Toronto Toros?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
rain94
Minors (Single A)

Minnesota Fighting Saints trademarks are still active and currently owned by a company called Old Time Logos LLC.

Cleveland Crusaders trademarks were cancelled in 1980 and now part of public domain.

As for the Birmingham Bulls Logo, it's the same design for the bull but the actual logos are different.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Found video of a WHA game on YouTube.

Search-WHA Dec 17/1972 Chicago Cougars-Minnesota Fighting Saints. Mostly third period action with Cougars announcers.

Caliber of play wasn't bad for a league that was just 2 months old.

Off subject--Also found an NHL game(video) 12-30-67 St. Louis-Toronto. Can't remember ever seeing a past Blues game from that time period except when I watched them during the season on CBC or CBS on Ch. 50 Detroit when they played Red Wings.

I will watch Blues/Leafs while I play FHM6(historical 67-68 NHL season).

Last edited by Orioles1966; 10-15-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
johnnybourbon
Major Leagues

Imma just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_nomlJ0_Y
On the corpse. My question is...
No, my question. I get to go first. Why in pluperfect hell would you pee on corpse?
Quote:
Cause there's a 50-50 chance a malnourished monkey is gonna pop up out of a toilet, shoot you in the face with a speargun.
johnnybourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain94 View Post
You'll have to go through each trademark and check if it's still active. Some trademarks are extended well past the date that the team became defunct. This is due to the value that some old teams still have in the memorabilia market.

Here's one for the Michigan Stags that were moved to Baltimore and became the Blades. This trademark was renewed until 2007 when it was finally cancelled. So at this point, it is public domain.
If US law is the same as UK law then the logo (but not the name) may still be protected by copyright.