Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #101
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, there was no such post. We are currently preparing for closed beta, and once that is complete we will start an open beta. Once we do, we'll post about it on all channels
You indicated you were hopeful it would be September is where people got the idea of a September Beta.

On my phone, so sorry for the big screenshot.
Attached Images

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #102
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I agree OOTPD should avoid target dates, as they seem to be hard to meet.

But I have to assume that they are working on tournaments as hard as they can, even if you take a cynical point of view (i.e., money as priority). I suspect tournaments would bring in a healthy amount of revenue, as there will be big competition for the Open Tournaments especially.

So I doubt they're keeping tournaments from us just for spite, as having them in the game is in their best interest anyway.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #103
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
. I suspect tournaments would bring in a healthy amount of revenue, as there will be big competition for the Open Tournaments especially.
How would tournaments add money? Would teams need points to participate?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #104
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
How would tournaments add money? Would teams need points to participate?
Competition to be the best and win tournaments encourages spending real money on PP to upgrade teams.

I'm not saying everyone will do it, but some people will do it.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #105
allenciox
All Star Reserve

I completely agree that their goal is to get tournaments out as soon as possible. I don't think anyone disputes it.

I just think it was misleading advertising to say, when the game was released in March, that tournaments would be ready in April (just a month away). Particularly when just a month ago, they commented that the code at that point was not even ready for testing. I am in software development, and know what is involved with software testing. They had to know that something that was not yet developed and certainly had not started testing could not possibly be ready in a single month. It is just not in the realm of possibility. So to promote that at software launch was simply false advertising.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #106
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I completely agree that their goal is to get tournaments out as soon as possible. I don't think anyone disputes it.

I just think it was misleading advertising to say, when the game was released in March, that tournaments would be ready in April (just a month away). Particularly when just a month ago, they commented that the code at that point was not even ready for testing. I am in software development, and know what is involved with software testing. They had to know that something that was not yet developed and certainly had not started testing could not possibly be ready in a single month. It is just not in the realm of possibility. So to promote that at software launch was simply false advertising.
Could not agree more.
MarkGracesSlumpBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #107
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGracesSlumpBuster View Post
And don’t say that tournaments weren’t a high selling point of this version of the game - you literally used it as the advertisement on the opening page of the base game!
It was an ETA, nothing more, nothing less. Again, we learned our lesson and won't make ETAs public again. We tried to be transparent, and it backfired. And we are sorry about that, but we cannot turn back the time...

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 10-10-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #108
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post

We thought it would be easier to implement (when we made the initial announcement in February), simple as that. And while developing it we also increased the scope and possibilities of the feature, which resulted in a longer development time...

And by the way, false advertisement requires malicious intent. There never was malicious intent on our side, of course. We simply wanted to share our plan for future features with an ETA. But, I repeat myself here

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 10-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #109
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Competition to be the best and win tournaments encourages spending real money on PP to upgrade teams.

I'm not saying everyone will do it, but some people will do it.
I think it's a stretch to assume people would spend money to improve their team only because of the tournament feature, when at that point it wasn't even clear what the feature would look like, in my opinion. We never calculated with X more revenue because of tournaments, we have no idea how much impact it will have...
Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #110
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If you didn’t assume people would spend money with a feature like that, why would you go through all this trouble to add it to the game?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #111
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Are we still going to get tournaments in OOTP 20? I'm unclear at this point.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #112
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you didn’t assume people would spend money with a feature like that, why would you go through all this trouble to add it to the game?
Because they want to make the most entertaining baseball simulation product possible so that people keep playing year after year?
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #113
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think it's a stretch to assume people would spend money to improve their team only because of the tournament feature, when at that point it wasn't even clear what the feature would look like, in my opinion. We never calculated with X more revenue because of tournaments, we have no idea how much impact it will have...
That being said, I did spend the first 2-3 months of this game training many different bronze cards at new positions in preparation for tournaments. True, this isn't money, but this massive expenditure of time looks really foolish in hindsight...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #114
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm glad you guys are more baseball/programmer types rather than a cynical finance MBA/CFA type like me!

I'd love to have a look at the finances from PT, just from an objective and analytical viewpoint. Curious how much of an impact Collections had on revenue -- heck, even Ed Walsh alone.

Like Collections, I expect Tournaments to be a hit both for the rewards and the added layer of competition.

Anyway I'm not a disgruntled customer like some.. just watching and waiting and looking forward to updates to the game.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #115
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Markus, outside of BETA testing, will we see tournaments in this version of the game?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #116
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Markus, outside of BETA testing, will we see tournaments in this version of the game?
Unless something tragically happens (for example a meteor striking our office), the answer is yes.

We are a small team, but we are working as hard as possible, as I have said several times. Public beta, once live, should only take a couple of weeks, and after that the mode will be official.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 10-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #117
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Because we want to play it. It's a great idea and will be a great feature, no matter if you're a whale or if you are someone who does not spend a dime in PT.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #118
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Although I, too, have been critical of certain features in this game, I have to defend the OOTP team in this case. I spent half of my career programming and one simply can't understand the frustration that occurs when you head down one road and find out that won't work unless you totally rewrite something you already spent a month on. Add to that ideas you get along the way and your team, over coffee, saying things like "what if..." and that 3 month project suddenly turns into 6 months.

To the Dev team, I'll say "most" of us are appreciative of your effort. Even when I disagree with design, I understand that "I'm" not the one showing up every morning living with all the frustrations. Good Luck.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #119
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
To the Dev team, I'll say "most" of us are appreciative of your effort. Even when I disagree with design, I understand that "I'm" not the one showing up every morning living with all the frustrations. Good Luck.

It's been hard to wait for the Tournaments, but I also have to step back and put things into perspective. The PT mode may still be young and has room to grow, but the sims happen every half-hour like clockwork, I don't think there has ever been a significant outage of the PT server and I can't remember the last time my game crashed. Also, when Missions were added to the game it seems things went well and in fact I'm not aware of any real bug regarding the missions. If it takes longer to get the Tournament mode but we hit the same quality marks as we're used to, then really it was okay to wait.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles

Last edited by neugey; 10-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #120
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Although I, too, have been critical of certain features in this game, I have to defend the OOTP team in this case. I spent half of my career programming and one simply can't understand the frustration that occurs when you head down one road and find out that won't work unless you totally rewrite something you already spent a month on. Add to that ideas you get along the way and your team, over coffee, saying things like "what if..." and that 3 month project suddenly turns into 6 months.

Thank you very much for the kind words