Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #121
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
My Raccoons have been in weak leagues before and we've still never managed to win more than 124 games. No matter how weak the league, that record is an amazing accomplishment. I hope your team can keep it up and go all the way. Good luck!
Thanks. If you believe in tempting fate, immediately after posting--not kidding, the very next sim--the dolphins dropped 4 in a row, and 5 of 6. Now back on a 5 game winning streak, but have fallen off the 144 win pace to a mere 138/139 win pace. Heads are going to roll!

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #122
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
I know it is very hard to platoon or either bench a legend, but the game engine doesn't look at names but only numbers.

Moreover, I now think that contact and eye are way more important than power, especially in perfect leagues where most pitchers suppress home runs easily. This is why you see guys like SE Appling or Charleston play so well and put up very good numbers.

Like you, I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of offense for superior defence, but that goes down to personal taste.

This is how Charleston has performed for me, considering also that I play him at RF that's not his ideal position.

You and Orcin have me looking for Charleston now!
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #123
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I can't understand how the last 7 got that low.
That was partially my fault.
On Monday, I was scrambling to get the last 3 Indians cards I needed for the Boudreau, so I posted the Ripken I had stashed away with a low price so he'd sell quick. I'm sure the market will fix itself over the next week or so.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #124
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
That was partially my fault.
On Monday, I was scrambling to get the last 3 Indians cards I needed for the Boudreau, so I posted the Ripken I had stashed away with a low price so he'd sell quick. I'm sure the market will fix itself over the next week or so.
I would trade Ripken for Boudreau too.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #125
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

It was a roller coaster day for the Colonels. We took 2 of 3 from the division leading 49ers to draw into a virtual tie for the lead. Then a four-game winning streak was capped off by a no-hitter from perfect Pedro. As the day draws to a close, we lead the 49ers by one-half game, with 3 games remaining against them late tomorrow.

However, tragedy struck the team earlier this evening. The manager returned home from dinner (yes, wine was involved) and decided to poke around the team roster page. A few errant mouse clicks later and new starting left fielder Oscar Charleston ended up on the reserve roster with a 14-day suspension. It is not clear what Oscar did to deserve this penalty, but there is nothing for the team to do but forge ahead without him until late morning tomorrow. No hard feelings Oscar, ok?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #126
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
It was a roller coaster day for the Colonels. We took 2 of 3 from the division leading 49ers to draw into a virtual tie for the lead. Then a four-game winning streak was capped off by a no-hitter from perfect Pedro. As the day draws to a close, we lead the 49ers by one-half game, with 3 games remaining against them late tomorrow.

However, tragedy struck the team earlier this evening. The manager returned home from dinner (yes, wine was involved) and decided to poke around the team roster page. A few errant mouse clicks later and new starting left fielder Oscar Charleston ended up on the reserve roster with a 14-day suspension. It is not clear what Oscar did to deserve this penalty, but there is nothing for the team to do but forge ahead without him until late morning tomorrow. No hard feelings Oscar, ok?
BREAKING: Oscar Charleston demands trade to gold frontrunners Steelport Saints. Saints say no because they not only can't afford him, but they don't think he'd look good in Third Street Saint purple. It'd be too...excessive

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #127
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P408: Red Raiders Had Themselves a Month, and Yet...

After an uncharacteristically mediocre July (13-10, including losing 2 out of 3 right before and 4 straight right after the All-Star break), the Huntley Red Raiders went and had themselves a fun August.

"What do you mean?" interjects fellow AC West inhabitant Bronx Rejects. "We held our own against Huntley in August, beating them 4 times in 10 head-to-head matchups."

"Yes," counters Huntley, "we were only 6-4 against you in August, but in the other 19 games, we went...19-0!"

And after winning the first 2 games in September, Huntley is on a cool 27-4 run over the last 5 weeks. Suffice it to say, everything's turning up Red Raiders right now...

...and yet, thanks in large part to an amazing 24-3 July, the Excelsior Dodgers are still 3 games up on Huntley for the #1 AC seed. Thanks to some impressive offensive showings of late, Huntley now has a slight edge in run differential over the Dodgers, +327 to +317, but the Red Raiders are 4 games off their Pythagorean record, while Excelsior is right on target.

Elsewhere in the AC, the Charity Island Walleye have opened up a comfortable 6.5-game lead in the AC East, and the New Image Blaze and California Alliance have seemingly solidified their spots in the Wild Card game.

Meanwhile, in the NC, the Singapore Sluggers have increased their lead in the NC Central over the Collingwood Magpies to 7.5 games. Collingwood still has the better run differential, +437 to +429, but is an astounding 10 games off their Pythagorean record. The Austin Fellwalkers look poised to win the NC East comfortably, leaving the Barut Patriots and Phoenix Firebirds to battle it out for the NC West crown, with the loser almost certain to claim the second Wild Card spot.

Current standings...
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 AM   #128
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs ended the day at 100-32 and have already clinched the division. The team has scored 697 runs, which is just serviceable, but has allowed only 373 runs. Not in league with the top whale teams, perhaps, but on pace for 458 runs allowed over 162 games, which would shatter the previous franchise-best 547 runs allowed. I'm not sure if it's a full season of Ed Walsh, or a readjustment of some global strategy, or an airtight defense, or a pretty weak conference, but it's been fun to watch my team keep giving up almost no runs.

On the negative side of the ledger, I was hoping to complete a couple more high profile missions this week, but the cards I need have been slow to show up. I finally did get diamond Francisco Cordero a couple of days ago for a reasonable price (much, much lower than the 40-50K people had been holding out for), but all of the other Texas Rangers diamonds suddenly became scarce.

Been doing more "pack work" in trying to avoid the AH for everything aside from missions. Trying to learn from my mistakes and hang onto historical cards this time for the next batches of missions (Yankees, Tigers, Cardinals etc have to come out at some point) and get a nice payday down the road.

The best pulls lately have been 96 Kimbrel, 93 Bench, and I think it's my 4th or 5th 100 LIVE Scherzer--which of course I have no use for because I have All-Star Scherzer plugged into the bullpen already. The only card that has made the team since 100 Tom Seaver serendipitously came out of a challenge mode pack (~400 packs ago) has been 88 Frankie Frisch. But, the Fordham Flash is more of a stopgap than a card I see playing a bunch of seasons on the team.

My PP count has gotten back above 50K after the last run of packs so I think another run of 50 packs is in order. Wish me luck...

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:15 AM   #129
Magus978
All Star Starter

In their bid for a promotion back to perfect at the second time of asking, the Blitzkrieg Boppers have enlisted the services, via pack opening, of peak Curt Schilling. Adding Schilling to a front-end of the rotation led by Bob Feller & Hal Newhouser gives Blitzkrieg an excellent top 3 that should pose a real threat in non whale-heavy perfect leagues.

Now the hard part...actually getting back.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #130
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons (+315) are still up there with the much better Westvleteren XII (+339). We even have a 1/2 game lead, but are in 2nd due to WPct. After going 2-8 vs them in the early season, we're now 4-1 (but all 4 were very close) and have a 4 game final set (at our home, thank goodness) coming up 1st thing in the morning. Their park factors favor RHB and are minimized for LHB which works well for them since all of their hitters are RHB. So I was pleased when we took 2 of 3 from them at their home.

I've been micro-managing the team more than in any previous season except for in the beginning (pre-perfect) and have had a lot more fun doing this. I'm still not sure if it helps, but we're playing .741 ball so it must not be hurting too much.

We're leading the league in base running which we often do (or are close at least), but I don't understand this one at all. Does anyone here know what influences this stat? It can't be due to our base running ratings since they're mostly mediocre or poor. Maybe it's due to strategy settings?
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 09-21-2019 at 05:39 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #131
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Playoff push update:

Forest City Tribe (G333 77-56, 2nd place, 2 GB, 99.7% chance): A healthy six-game lead in the wild card all but secures the Tribe's chances of post season play in the first Cleveland-mission season. Now to get the division title and not have to go through the Wild Card. We've been neck-and-neck with VCU Rams all season. Bob Lemon continues to impress with a 17-5 record and 2.16 ERA, while Jim Thome and Rocky Colavito are now both hitting above .250 and are the top two in homers, with 24 and 20 respectively.

Reno Silver Sox (S327 69-64, 3rd place, 10 GB, 17.6% chance): The song remains the same for the Silver Sox, who started out quickly in April and May only to fade down the stretch. Van Lingle Mungo has once again been the best pitcher for the Sox, he is quickly becoming one of the greatest pack pulls in my PT career. 69 OVR Rod Carew continues to do 69 Rod Carew things, leading the team in hitting with a .325 average. At this point, with Carew, Gwynn, Parker, LaValliere and Madlock, the Silver Sox can't wait for tournaments to start.

Thetford Mines Mineurs (B267 83-51, 2nd place, 1/2 GB, 100% chance): Much like the Tribe, the Mineurs focus is on winning the division to make promotion that much easier. Everyone's favorite Senior, Vladdy Daddy, leads the hitters, while Joe Hesketh could very well win 23 games in his first full season as a Mineur. A three-game series at division leaders Burlington on Sept. 19-21 could prove pivotal.

South Side Lumber Company (G306 65-69, 3rd place, 9 1/2 GB, 2.1% chance): Last season's surprise package have the slimmest of hopes of a double promotion, as they find themselves four teams and 5 1/2 games behind the second wild card spot. Diamond may prove to be a bridge too far, especially without the services of Ed Walsh and 99 Luke Appling, so I'd be happy for another season in Gold and the chance to earn those last few thousand points to get Shoeless Joe or Ted Lyons.

Nashville Game Theories (B213 70-63, 2nd place, 12 GB, 48.7% chance): For a team optimized to score points instead of win games, to have a coin-flip chance of making the playoffs in September is about the best that the Game Theories could hope for. Amazingly, the team is actually playing three games under its pythag expectation. The key is the pitchers playing over their heads - four starters have above .500 records and three have sub 5.00 ERAs. Playing in a park that is maxed out hitting factors, that's astounding. Miguel Sano is on pace for a 40 HR season and Kirk Gibson has a 20/20 season already sown up, he's going for a 30/30 season now.

Baltimore Orioles (G305 62-71, 3rd place, 15 GB, 2.0% chance): After spending most of the season in the Wild Card position, the Orioles suffered a disastrous 8-20 August which saw their playoff chances crater to a mere 2 percent. A mediocre season will soon come to an end, and with 32,000 PP in the bank, time to spend wisely.

Sydney Unicorns (G341 72-60, 1st place, +1 1/2, 94.8% chance): The Unicorns have their first Gold League playoff position all but wrapped up in their second season. The 'Corns only made one offseason move, picking up Aussie native Liam Hendriks to strengthen the bullpen, but the benching of Gleyber Torres and putting Josh Bell into something close to a full-time DH role has made a big difference, too.

Everett Aquasox (B268 90-43, 1st place, +5 1/2, 100% chance): Barring a catastrophe, the Froggies will be in the playoffs for the sixth straight season. The .677 percentage puts them on pace for a 110-win season, which would be a franchise record; although, the 109-win season ended in a humiliating 3-1 division series loss. King Felix is 15-6, J.J. Putz has 40 saves, and Ichiro is locked in a tight battle with another Ichiro as he goes for his fifth straight batting title.

The Charlotte Monarchs, Cincinnati Redlegs and Rottnest Island Quokkas are all fighting relegation, rather than a playoff spot. The Redlegs are propping up OL Perfect .420 and relegation is all but assured.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb

Last edited by BigRed75; 09-21-2019 at 08:43 AM.
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #132
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Bad News Bulldogs have managed to drag themselves above .500 and at 68-66 are 5 games back, 2 games from the wildcard. Despite being no1 in the league in uns scored they have a -12 run differential, and no player with more than Heinie Groh's 67 Rbi, SE Jim Thome has been awful at 1b, only batting vs righties and still struggling. Hank Aaron had a .730 OPS at the start of August, and now has a .780 OPS he's been the hot bat alongside the fairly recent acquisition of Hugh Duffy at DH.

Neuman Furshlugginers started out the season slowly due to pitching and defence underperforming but its starting to come together with no roster changes and they have move to a 69-64 record but are closer to a WC spot (4 games) than the second place in the division (5 1/2) either way a playoff spot doesn't look likely. However Gregg Jefferies (back to back MVP in my last 2 silver seasons) is currently having his best season ever, 4th in hitting (.321) 1st in slugging (.560) OPS (.917) RBI (120) WAR (5.4) EBH (74) TB (296), what an investment he's turned out to be, he's been earning 1500+ PP a season on his own, and is currently at 1250 for this season, unfortunately he wasn't a clean card, so has a ton of previous awards and stats, in total he's won 7 platinum sticks and 3 MVPs

Paragon City Heroes have been disappointing at 61-72. so much so that i am planning a rebuild of the team if things sell on the AH

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #133
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Phil Rizzuto: 120G, 109 OPS+, 3.8 WAR
Luke Appling: 123G, 100 OPS+, 2.4 WAR

Appling's WAR is depressed because he spent the first half of the season training at 2B, and he plays 2B instead of SS. But there is no denying that Rizzuto is having a better season at the plate and a great season in the field (+7.2 ZR and 1.05 EFF). He sure has made selling Wagner look like a good move, especially since the proceeds from Wagner brought in perfect Pedro (17GS, 9-3, 2.85 ERA, 3.01 FIP, 3.6 WAR, and a no-hitter).
Old 09-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #134
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're leading the league in base running which we often do (or are close at least), but I don't understand this one at all. Does anyone here know what influences this stat? It can't be due to our base running ratings since they're mostly mediocre or poor. Maybe it's due to strategy settings?
I think the strategy settings have a lot to do with it, yes. I have a very slow team with only 45 stolen bases. I have my players' individual sliders set, and most of them are far to the left (i.e. very conservative base running and steals). My team BSR is +31.4, second in the conference. I think it is because I don't get thrown out on the bases, because I am obviously not taking the extra base often.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #135
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post

Meanwhile, in the NC, the Singapore Sluggers have increased their lead in the NC Central over the Collingwood Magpies to 7.5 games. Collingwood still has the better run differential, +437 to +429, but is an astounding 10 games off their Pythagorean record.

Current standings...
That's because of Mariano RIvera (100). I'd been using him as setup for closer Lee Smith for the last several weeks. This week he has been worse than usual--in 4 save opportunities, he blew them all. In 6 other games he entered the game with the score tied: he lost them all. That adds up to 10.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #136
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I think the strategy settings have a lot to do with it, yes. I have a very slow team with only 45 stolen bases. I have my players' individual sliders set, and most of them are far to the left (i.e. very conservative base running and steals). My team BSR is +31.4, second in the conference. I think it is because I don't get thrown out on the bases, because I am obviously not taking the extra base often.
I agree with Orcin in that I feel the game penalizes aggressive base running for the most part. Unless you have a guy that's 100/100/100 on the basepaths, having the strategy sliders in the "blue" tends to result in sub-optimal stealing percentages and base running scores.

Now, whether a good base running stat actually helps your team in the sims is another matter. I don't really have a good feel for that.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #137
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Now sitting at 122-22, which is really just regressing to my pthag. Had been running at +10 at one point and am now down to +3. Still on pace for ~137 wins, which would be my highest total ever.

Also, yesterday got my first ever >4000PP achievement--a 22 game win streak for Walter Johnson brought in 7k pp. I had started to just assume that 4000 was the max.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #138
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
That's because of Mariano RIvera (100). I'd been using him as setup for closer Lee Smith for the last several weeks. This week he has been worse than usual--in 4 save opportunities, he blew them all. In 6 other games he entered the game with the score tied: he lost them all. That adds up to 10.
That is just...wow. My blood's boiling just reading this, and it's not even my team!

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #139
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Well, I've got SE Ernie Banks up to 104 defense at second so I guess mission accomplished more or less on having him replace Johnny Pesky as my defensive utility man.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #140
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons are still right behind Westvleteren, just 1/2 GB (109-39 to their 109-38). But it's thanks to others helping out. We lost 3 of 4 to them at our park so we finished just 7-12 vs them. We're done playing each other and we both have easy schedules so this might go down right to the end. Regardless of the outcome, it's been fun!