Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

What a Wonderful Game!

OOTPB is really something... I have only been playing OOTP19 for a few months and I made a wonderful discovery tonight while recapping my Islandian Pro Alliance dynasty report.

On the Standings screen... on the upper right hand side... I noticed something new I have never seen before (been playing it since OOTP3).

See "Date of Standings".

You can review the league standings on any given day of the season.

This is a great help in my recapping each month of the season.

It really saves me a lot a time.

This is a wonderful feature.

Many Thanks to Markus and the Whole Crew..
Attached Images

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-02-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

Yeah, small things like that sometimes make a huge difference for someone. Right now I'm really enjoying an OOTP20 test league, so much so that I could see going back and writing about it and that feature would definitely come in handy.

Thanks, Matt & Markus. No matter how small something might be, if you think you have a good idea, by all means please put it in. Someone might really get a kick out of it (like I currently am with openers & followers).
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
No matter how small something might be, if you think you have a good idea, by all means please put it in. Someone might really get a kick out of it (like I currently am with openers & followers).
Like Eugene, about six years ago I ran a dynasty and found it frustrating, when writing season recaps, that I had to go back and manually calculate standings for various points during the season. As a result of that experience, I asked for that improvement back in 2012.

Quote:
6. I'd like to be able to see the standings on any given day during the season. So, for instance, if I want to see what the standings were on July 20, right now I have to calculate every single team's won-lost record to recreate the standings. Instead, on the game schedule screen, there should be a button that says "See Standings" or something like that, so that I can see what the standings were on that date.
So I guess you could say that was my idea. Yeah, that's the ticket, it was my idea!

Seriously, though, it does show how remarkably receptive the OOTP development team is to incorporating suggestions from users. How many other game companies can say that?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Like Eugene, about six years ago I ran a dynasty and found it frustrating, when writing season recaps, that I had to go back and manually calculate standings for various points during the season. As a result of that experience, I asked for that improvement back in 2012.

So I guess you could say that was my idea. Yeah, that's the ticket, it was my idea!

Seriously, though, it does show how remarkably receptive the OOTP development team is to incorporating suggestions from users. How many other game companies can say that?
Many, many thanks for this little jewel of a feature.

Thank you for suggesting it... and thanks for your great schedules, too.

I would think this feature is a big boom to the Dynasty writers.

Why don't you suggest that OOTP News covers something other than shutouts, milestones, cycles, 5 and 6-hit games.

It would be nice if they could include monthly recaps during the season... who's on top of the standings?... which teams are slumping?... who's on the rise?... cover the stretch drive...give a season wrapup covering all the teams in a division... cover the playoff series.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-03-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Eugene, perhaps you could compile a few examples of your written recaps. Given you've engaged in this practice for so long, it may prove helpful to see your models for consideration of their elements.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Eugene, perhaps you could compile a few examples of your written recaps. Given you've engaged in this practice for so long, it may prove helpful to see your models for consideration of their elements.
Exactly - don't wait for someone else to suggest it, do it yourself. If you have examples, include them please. I know some of the news stories are dry, I wrote a bunch of them back around 16/17 when I was still doing Beta.

We could use a lot more and would very much like to see some of yours. No doubt they would be a fine addition to the game.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
OOTPB is really something... I have only been playing OOTP19 for a few months and I made a wonderful discovery tonight while recapping my Islandian Pro Alliance dynasty report.

On the Standings screen... on the upper right hand side... I noticed something new I have never seen before (been playing it since OOTP3).

See "Date of Standings".

I guess this has been around since v17 or v18 ...

But I agree, every now and then you find a tiny detail you haven't noticed before ... this game offers so much!
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Exactly - don't wait for someone else to suggest it, do it yourself. If you have examples, include them please. I know some of the news stories are dry, I wrote a bunch of them back around 16/17 when I was still doing Beta.

We could use a lot more and would very much like to see some of yours. No doubt they would be a fine addition to the game.
From the very first year we had recaps, I have posted that the recaps really needed some work... I even offered to write them.

I volunteered to write them... was invited by one person, don't remember who... was told to contact another person... and that person said they had plenty of help.

I'm sure the problem with the recaps is the way Markus set them up... I was on the Beta Team for quite a few years... writing news stories and PBP... the guys on the News and PBP greatly expanded the number of items in each category.

Most of the time the problem was poor construction and a lack of variety... I joined the Beta Team because of no variety in the News... there were only 5 different news stories for a Shutout... it was ridiculous... my first year on the Beta Team I wrote 100 different Shutout news stories... there were over 200 variations when I left the Beta Team.

All News categories were lacking variety... Markus would do five for each category and that was it... over the next 3-4 years all of the News categories were greatly expanded... I don't know if they are still using them or not... I don't pay a lot of attention to the News Stories any longer because I write my own news and recaps on the Dynasty Forum.

But I don't see the recaps for the regular season in my dynasty league... I only write the recaps for the playoffs and post them on the dynasty forum.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

endgame, I will post a few of my recaps... but understand, I am not restricted in what I can say like the Game Recaps writers are... they can only use items that Markus codes into them... you can't cover something if there are no tokens for it in the code.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Game Recaps for endgame.
Attached Images
Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Game recaps for endgame.
Attached Images
Old 03-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Game Recaps for endgame.
Attached Images
Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

game recap for endgame.
Attached Images
Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #14
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:

See "Date of Standings".

May I ask why you only just started playing version 19?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Game recap for endgame.

Sorry, don't know why it's so small.

Click on it to enlarge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-02-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
May I ask why you only just started playing version 19?
I wait until the final update before using the new version... that way all the kinks and flaws have been fixed as well as they will be fixed.

I have done this for many years and it has worked out well.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-02-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #17
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
I wait until the final update before using the new version... that way all the kinks and flaws have been fixed as well as they will be fixed.

So you won't be playing version 20 until 2020? seems a shame to be a year behind the upgrade curve...
Old 03-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #18
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I fully can understand that approach ... but you might re-consider since recent releases have been extremely stable and almost free of major bugs.

I usually wait 2-3 weeks until the early patches are through and then import my precious fictional leagues and I haven't had the slightest problem.

Of course, I regularly create zip-files of my league files.
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The only sound and sane approach to operating a long-running league!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
I guess this has been around since v17 or v18 ...

But I agree, every now and then you find a tiny detail you haven't noticed before ... this game offers so much!
Nah, it's older. I have it in 16.

Yes, I am still on 16.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
So you won't be playing version 20 until 2020? seems a shame to be a year behind the upgrade curve...
I'm kind of quirky... my experience is to wait a while before you update any kind of software... I learned this in the 80s when accounting was computerized... I would always wait a month before I would use the update... they always fixed any problems that popped up in that month.

I don't mind playing OOTP19 until July, 2019 when Markus will probably do the final update for OOTP20... I'm fine with OOTP19 for a few more months.