Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
RummyPirate
Bat Boy

Offseason tactics / Contracts

Hey,

After toying around a bit and starting over a few times, I finally finished my first season and I'm hooked!

And why wouldn't I be? Turning the Pirates in a superforce ready to clinch the title in the first months, only to have them become an injury plagued team barely clinching the last play-off ticket in the last 6 weeks. And then losing the wild card game.

The big problem I had is that I traded away nearly all decent prospects/back-ups at the start to get me 4 good new pitchers and a new catcher, so I virtually had no squad depth to deal with injuries. So in the offseason i'm looking to building some squad depth while trying to keep my stars. So now the questions:

1) Any pointers on how to approach arbitration/free agency etc? I plan on withdrawing arbitration offers on a few older guys in decline, for which I think I can find better free agents. Good idea, or better to give them a contract and try and trade them?

2) Is it necessary to keep the arbitration offers as high as they start off, or can I cut these back a bit?

3) Am I better of signing the guys I wanna keep for a while to long-term deals?

4) Any other tips on this?
RummyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

1. Withdraw. If you don't want them, why would another team?
2. Poor performers may go for 10% less, most will get the estimate or perhaps more.
3. Absolutely, especially if they will accept a deal that escalates slowly.
4. Don't be afraid to take risks.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

Orcin is right on the money IMO.

I would stress that you need to take a few risks sometimes.

Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a trade....most guys can be replaced.

I would have a long term goal in mind when acquiring players. It's like chess always be 5 move ahead.

I.E. Even if you have a guy signed long term, but see a player in another teams system that's a possible replacement try to get him. You never know if he will come in handy later.
Another thing, I usually try to get throw ins on a trade. I'll find a utility player or a decent pitcher and ask for them. Sometimes I'll flip them, sometimes I'll keep them...either way they can prove to be handy.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
frank_olaf
Minors (Double A)

For question 2 about arbitration offers, instead of changing the amount there and waiting until the arbitration date (and hoping you win), just negotiate a one year contract extension with the player. They usually except a little bit less than what is suggested (around 100,000 less).
frank_olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_olaf View Post
For question 2 about arbitration offers, instead of changing the amount there and waiting until the arbitration date (and hoping you win), just negotiate a one year contract extension with the player. They usually except a little bit less than what is suggested (around 100,000 less).
That's good info too.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Orcin is pretty much spot on, but I don't agree fully on answer 1. To answer number 1, I would still try the "shop player" option for those you don't want to give arbitration to. I often let guys walk who may have value to other teams. It doesn't hurt to explore if another team is willing to give you a player that fits your team better.

You don't need to sign arbitration eligible players before you trade them. They are already under contract for trade purposes. I typically do this right after the world the series.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RummyPirate View Post
Hey,

After toying around a bit and starting over a few times, I finally finished my first season and I'm hooked!

And why wouldn't I be? Turning the Pirates in a superforce ready to clinch the title in the first months, only to have them become an injury plagued team barely clinching the last play-off ticket in the last 6 weeks. And then losing the wild card game.

The big problem I had is that I traded away nearly all decent prospects/back-ups at the start to get me 4 good new pitchers and a new catcher, so I virtually had no squad depth to deal with injuries. So in the offseason i'm looking to building some squad depth while trying to keep my stars. So now the questions:

1) Any pointers on how to approach arbitration/free agency etc? I plan on withdrawing arbitration offers on a few older guys in decline, for which I think I can find better free agents. Good idea, or better to give them a contract and try and trade them?

2) Is it necessary to keep the arbitration offers as high as they start off, or can I cut these back a bit?

3) Am I better of signing the guys I wanna keep for a while to long-term deals?

4) Any other tips on this?

#3 is a key point and remember OOTP leagues have inflation ie., contracts typically only get higher as the league unfolds so signing long term deals at today's money is always your best bet for young, great players. Some players won't accept long term deals and I have found those that don't are usually the ones you want to keep. Also keep in mind you have your teams financial report which will give you a pretty good indication of what the player will accept (usually the figure is in italics). I have found you can knock down about 20% and be somewhat successful on those figures but, sometimes due to a players greed he will be set on that number or even higher. The best way to learn in this game is to play and with that experience you will notice patterns.
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

USF is pretty much right on the point too.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
frank_olaf
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF View Post
#3 is a key point and remember OOTP leagues have inflation ie., contracts typically only get higher as the league unfolds so signing long term deals at today's money is always your best bet for young, great players. Some players won't accept long term deals and I have found those that don't are usually the ones you want to keep. Also keep in mind you have your teams financial report which will give you a pretty good indication of what the player will accept (usually the figure is in italics). I have found you can knock down about 20% and be somewhat successful on those figures but, sometimes due to a players greed he will be set on that number or even higher. The best way to learn in this game is to play and with that experience you will notice patterns.
I thought if you did a standard MLB league there was no inflation?
frank_olaf is offline   Reply With Quote