Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Can't Restore Backup Saves

Hi, sorry for making a second thread in as many days. So I'm in my first season in OotP, and still learning how everything actually works. So I've been making occasional backup saves in case I severely screw something up and want to rewind. I've made backups at the end of April, May, and after making a big extension to one of my star players. I finally got to June 6 and wanted to make a backup before the draft as I have no idea how it'll actually work until I go through with it.

So I made my backup as usual, then decided to move all my saves and backups into a folder on my external HD for safekeeping. Then I deleted everything in my Saves and Backup Saves folders but the current ones (for June 6). And now all of a sudden I can't load any saves. When I try to load game it says I have no save files (even though I do) and when I try to restore from backup, even though it says it's successful, when I go to load there is no save to be found. If I check the save folder after trying a restore, I find a save file folder exactly as I've named it, but it's completely empty. I've tried this for all my old saves and backups and getting the same response.

Can anyone see if I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just a bug?
BuenoWaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

So do you have any backups in the backups folder? i havent had to use a backup since OOTP 13 but if i remember correctly it will only work from the backup[s folder. I have over 25 backups on my X drive but I believe i had to move them back to the backups folder for them to work correctly. i can try to research this more tomorrow if no one else solves this.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Yes, I made copies so they're in the backup folder and on my extra harddrive for a double backup. OOTP finds the backups just fine when I try and use the restore feature; they're all there and I can select any of them to restore. The problem is after that it doesn't create a save game in the regular saves folder to load.

Thanks for the offer to help. It's really awesome that everyone is so quick to offer help in this forum so far.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoWaino View Post
Hi, sorry for making a second thread in as many days. So I'm in my first season in OotP, and still learning how everything actually works. So I've been making occasional backup saves in case I severely screw something up and want to rewind. I've made backups at the end of April, May, and after making a big extension to one of my star players. I finally got to June 6 and wanted to make a backup before the draft as I have no idea how it'll actually work until I go through with it.

So I made my backup as usual, then decided to move all my saves and backups into a folder on my external HD for safekeeping. Then I deleted everything in my Saves and Backup Saves folders but the current ones (for June 6). And now all of a sudden I can't load any saves. When I try to load game it says I have no save files (even though I do) and when I try to restore from backup, even though it says it's successful, when I go to load there is no save to be found. If I check the save folder after trying a restore, I find a save file folder exactly as I've named it, but it's completely empty. I've tried this for all my old saves and backups and getting the same response.

Can anyone see if I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just a bug?
Your saved game path may be borked. I don't have time this minute to explain but if you can give me a couple of hours I'll post what I think is the issue.

I may need screenshots from you. Do you know how to do this?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

When you get to this screen, check the data path (red underline) to make sure it's pointing to the correct folder.

_
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Okay I've just tried once again to restore my save from the backup and gotten the same result. Used screen capture to show exactly what I'm doing. After the first image, I clicked "Ok", then "restore from backup". After the second, I selected the backup set I wanted to restore and typed in the new name for the target folder or league name. After the third I hit "restore". After the fourth, I hit "OK" and "Close", then went to "Load Game" on the main loadup screen, and got the fifth image, which put me right back to where I started.

Let me know if I can give any more info to better explain the situation.

Edit: this is on iOS, which is why my folder paths might look a bit wonky.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Can you show a windows explorer screenshot of your saved game folder as indicated in post 6?

After that go here. File/settings/troubleshooting/open folder containing file paths.cfg. Click on the blue text then see if the two paths match.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 06-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Paths.cfg looks like this. I suspect they may not be the same path as you show in post 6.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Okay, going to troubleshooting and clicking on the "open file 'paths.cfg'" leads me to users/user/library/application support/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 16/config. My save game file path is exactly the same except /saved_games at the end instead of /config.

Here's screencaps of my /config folder, and my /saved_games folder. As you can see, there are two "saved games inside the saves folder, the first is the backup I manually placed there (which doesn't show up when I try to load inside OOTP) with all the subfolders and files inside, the second is what's created when I "successfully" restore a backup as I outlined in post #6 above, which as you can see results in a totally empty save folder.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

You cannot restore a backup that is in the saved games folder. The backup must be somewhere in the path ...data/backups/ or lower.

See this screenshot showing the standard paths. You can create a custom path anywhere but it is risky to not follow the hierarchy ie everything under the data folder. I can't see that in your screenshots.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Sorry, yes I was trying to restore from the /backups file path, shown below. And as post #6 shows, OOTP can find the backup just fine in the correct folder, and will even tell me I successfully restored the backup. I just posted the /saves folder to show you the file path and show what happens when OOTP tells me I've "successfully" restored a backup.

Edit: Sorry, I only read the first part of your post before responding. I'm going to try and fix my file paths to look more like yours and see if that does anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by BuenoWaino; 06-12-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Okay, so I think I'm getting a little closer.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled OOTP. And I changed the paths under Settings>Expert>change data folder so that everything would be installed under the data folder. Then I placed my backup into the data/backups folder and loaded up OOTP.

As you can see, the pathing is now as you recommended, and the game recognizes the available backup. So I type in the correct path for the Target folder, but however I seem to try and name it, I get that ERROR message with no info on what the problem is.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Did you choose a different name? I cant see behind the error messages. See this
Attached Images

RichW

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

When you type in just a different name, not a full path, you should have success.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 06-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Saved to the saved games folder under the revised name.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 06-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #16
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Okay thanks, I had a feeling I wasn't getting the naming thing right.

So here in image one you can see the selected backup set and the target folder. I hit the start restore button and immediately get the "database backup" popup telling me the backup was restored successfully as in image two, only it says the number of files is 0, which based on your image in your last post is a bad sign. And as you can see in image three, when I go to load the new backup, it's once again telling me there's nothing to load and I need to restore first.

A quick check of the data/saved_games and data/backup folders shows that while the "Restore Backup" selection did create a new saved folder named appropriately, the folder is totally empty. Yet we see the backup has all the files it's supposed to.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 AM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

That suggests that the backup you're trying to restore is just a regular .lg file and not a backup.

RichW

Old 06-13-2015, 01:30 AM   #18
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Ah I see. You must be right because I just tried it with another backup and it worked perfectly fine. I must've mis-copied some files at one point. Doh! And going back to my most recent working backup, I only lose 4 days, though (un)fortunately they were an important 4 since my star player went down in that time period.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help and patience. Is there anything I can do with that regular .lg file at this point then? The one that isn't a backup I mean.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoWaino View Post
Ah I see. You must be right because I just tried it with another backup and it worked perfectly fine. I must've mis-copied some files at one point. Doh! And going back to my most recent working backup, I only lose 4 days, though (un)fortunately they were an important 4 since my star player went down in that time period.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help and patience. Is there anything I can do with that regular .lg file at this point then? The one that isn't a backup I mean.
Put it in the saved_games folder and open it? I'm seriously confused.

RichW