Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Am I ripping off the AI?

What do you think?

Howard is making 20-25 mil a year for four more years.

Mayberry is expected to be an average offensive contributor with a little pop

Quinn is the top prospect in the system 4 stars. a speedster with a great glove and adequate offense.

Herandez isn't a great prospect, but has some defensive ability

Meanwhile:

Pence is a very good right fielder making 14 mil a year, but will possible receive arbitration again after the season.

Brandon Belt is a very good young (24 yrs old) 1B with a little room to improve...great glove.

I won't tell you what trading difficulty I am using...I'll let you guess.

So..

1. Am I ripping the AI off?
2. What difficulty?
Attached Images
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
mattb_222
Minors (Single A)

Is Howard still a viable player in your world? I'm not sure of his age either, which would make a difference. Are the Giants in a pennant race?

If Howard is still an asset then I don't think you are ripping off the AI, although it's a strange combination of players for the Giants to theoretically want under any circumstance, taking a bad contract of an aging veteran along with 3 young prospects. If I were the Giants I wouldn't do it, but it's hard to say without knowing their situation.

(FWIW, I love questions like this on these forums...)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It's the very start of the 2013 campaign, so it's hard to say. Howard is 33
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

all of the ages are listed in the screen shot
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
mattb_222
Minors (Single A)

Oh yeah, missed that, sorry.

Did Howard have a good year the year before?

Like I say, if Howard is still an asset then I don't think it's a rip-off. It's not a trade I'd likely make controlling the Giants, but I could see a ML GM doing something similar.

Plus, like you say, you're giving up your best prospect and a few other decent ones. Maybe the Giants don't think Pence is worth his arb. # and maybe they don't think Belt is as good as you do. The more I think about it, the more I think it's fair.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
mattb_222
Minors (Single A)

Mayberry is 29?!?!

Oh, and I'd guess hard/favor prospects

Last edited by mattb_222; 07-19-2013 at 04:10 PM.
mattb_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I think it is a fair trade for both clubs. The winner really depends upon the years that Howard and Pence have.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Just a thought based on my observation of my v 14 experience thus far.

With the new fielding aging algorithm for v 14, I see middle infielders being a more scarce commodity as their life expectancy at these positions is reduced. I base this on my v14 league I am using for my HOF algorithm work. I have had a LOT of 3B men get into the HOF (right now, the same number as 1B men) but very few 2B and SS.

I assign career position in the following manner:

1) Player has fielding record for at least half of his ML appearances, otherwise considered career DH.

2) If Player made the majority of his fielding appearances in the IF, he is assigned the IF position that he made the most appearances playing as his career position.

3) If player made the majority of his fielding appearances in the OF, he is assigned the OF position that he made the most appearances playing as his career position.

I am playing my 52nd season in this v14 league and the observation comes from this league, and this league only. This method for determining career position is the same one I used in two run throughs of the HOF model in v 13. When I say that there are "a lot" of 3B and "few" 2B/SS, it is a comparison of the positional breakdowns of my current HOF vs the positional breakdown of the previous two.

If middle IFers are now more scarce, and have a shorter lifespan playing those positions before they are moved to a corner position, then it seems that the fact that SF is getting 2 solid MI prospects is a reasonable consideration for assuming Howard's long term deal, in their eyes.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 07-19-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: clean up
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Yes. No team would ever take on Howard's contract. He can't field and he is in decline.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Yes. No team would ever take on Howard's contract. He can't field and he is in decline.
Game or RL?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
It's the very start of the 2013 campaign, so it's hard to say. Howard is 33
Can you show us the SF needs. It's cut off in the screen shot.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Can you show us the SF needs. It's cut off in the screen shot.
Here ya go:
Attached Images
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This is actually using hard/neutral
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
Kronos
Major Leagues

This seems like a win/win for both sides.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote