Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

You are correct sir!
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Don't want to detract from the OP but the ensuing discussion about AI evals got me thinking. You mentioned that the AI is too willing to trade a guy (or undervalue a guy) having a down year. What if the AI was given something a little more consistent that takes a player's entire body of work into play.

Like so:

40 20 20 20

This way a bad current year is averaged out by a players body of work. And rating is still given a huge chunk. It will also slightly favor players that have been in the league for a couple of seasons that have proven themselves. I'll give it shot at the conclusion of my current season.

I try to make these kinds of changes in December after winter meetings are done. This does brings up another point that I have often wondered...When is the best time to make AI eval changes that most benefits the AI? During free-agency?

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 02-24-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Don't want to detract from the OP but the ensuing discussion about AI evals got me thinking. You mentioned that the AI is too willing to trade a guy (or undervalue a guy) having a down year. What if the AI was given something a little more consistent that takes a player's entire body of work into play.

Like so:

40 20 20 20

This way a bad current year is averaged out by a players body of work. And rating is still given a huge chunk. It will also slightly favor players that have been in the league for a couple of seasons that have proven themselves. I'll give it shot at the conclusion of my current season.

I try to make these kinds of changes in December after winter meetings are done. This does brings up another point that I have often wondered...When is the best time to make AI eval changes that most benefits the AI? During free-agency?
You bring up something here.. thinking of trade AI.. when it's tested, what values are used by Markus and the beta team? I could see it change depending on what's being used for the AI eval settings when testing.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

Like so:

40 20 20 20

Just tried it, and I like it
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You bring up something here.. thinking of trade AI.. when it's tested, what values are used by Markus and the beta team? I could see it change depending on what's being used for the AI eval settings when testing.
My guess is that they test on defualt. I have no idea what that is.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Just tried it, and I like it
Cool, can't wait to get to the end of the season. You just chnage mid-stream?

Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I'm not going to let that deter me from changing it. The way I see it, it can only improve things
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeancheBlanco View Post
maybe he was scouted in the morning and then in the afternoon :P
Quote:
So do you have a take on the above scouting discrepancies?
BB was being facetious, but I think he actually was onto something. I always think of scouting reports as being snapshots in time, while the player profile ratings are instantaneous.

It looks ridiculous when it's still the same day, but the answer could very well be that the computer does the scouting reports first, then refreshes its evaluation when you open the player profile, all before you advance the day.

If it helps, look at the player profile as your afternoon/evening phone call to the scout, saying "Hey, I see what you wrote here on your report this morning, but let's talk about this guy. Did you see him in (batting practice / the game) today? What do you think of him now?"

EDIT: Which, by the way, does not take away from your concern or request. One should not have to rationalize the situation in this lame manner.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-24-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Of course if the profile scouting is dynamic rather than static...exactly what purpose does the feature to scout individual players serve? For that matter, what purpose does the scouting reports as a whole serve? If I read you correctly, you are saying (or at least thinking it's this way) the profile ratings are completely dynamic...in essence making scouting totally unrealistic. Either way, this design was very poor from conception
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

To me there is one easy fix (although there's probably a better system) just use the most recent snapshot in time on the profile page, and don't allow it to be dynamic. In other words, the only time it changes, is when a new scouting report is compiled.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't really bother me.

My scout says, here is my updated report on these players over a period of time, where the profile screen says, as of today, here is where the player is at.

If the scout says Joe Smalls is 77 OVR and 80 POT, but he has a 2-10 record with a 4.97 ERA, his up to date OVR and POT should reflect that depending on your AI eval settings.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
My scout says, here is my updated report on these players over a period of time, where the profile screen says, as of today, here is where the player is at.
I think what PSUColonel is getting at though, is that what other source of ratings information does the GM have beside his scouts, that the profile page would be "as of today" and the scouting report would be "as of date X".
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I think what PSUColonel is getting at though, is that what other source of ratings information does the GM have beside his scouts, that the profile page would be "as of today" and the scouting report would be "as of date X".
Think of it this way...

My scout tells me Pujols is 78 OVR and 80 POT, season is going and Albert is hitting 0.250 with 2 HR's and 14 RBI's. The profile screen tells me that according to my AI eval settings that right now he's a 68 OVR and a 78 POT.

They will keep changing as the AI eval formulas do their thing. I'm wondering if you put it at 100% ratings, if those two pages would match?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #34
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Here is a prime example of what people are talking about as far as scouting goes. Notice the date is 6/01/13 in all cases.
I need the league files to see what settings you use. For example, by default the potential overall rating is never below the current overall rating...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #35
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Anyway, scouting in OOTP 14 is completely recoded and this issue will no longer happen...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Anyway, scouting in OOTP 14 is completely recoded and this issue will no longer happen...
And Markus wins again!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #37
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And Markus wins again!
I'm glad...that is some of the best OOTP related news I've heard
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #38
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I know. I can't remember how often you've brought up issues of one sort or another with the current (previous?) scouting implementation.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #39
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know. I can't remember how often you've brought up issues of one sort or another with the current (previous?) scouting implementation.
I'm pretty sure it's what drove him to Hall of Fame status.
And I, for one, appreciate the persistence.