Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
joeyjojojrshabadoo
Minors (Double A)

Competitive Balance Draft Lottery

Please add this feature or give the commissioner the ability to add picks to the draft. Currently the only way to do this is through a third party utility. The utility is great but you have to manually enter all the picks if you choose to add the competitive draft picks. This can be a pain especially with compensation picks.

I think its been mentioned also, but the ability to name your own GM of the year. I'd also like to see Relief man of the Year built in and a World Series or LCS MVP. In my online league we elect one but the game doesn't allow you to pick your own. I currently use the custom award for World Series MVP.

A revamped Spring Training would be nice as well. With more splits and a more realistic schedule with Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues. Currently spring training is just a split itself. There is no breakdown of players performances. This could be a great tool in deciding who makes the cut. Also, non roster invitees. I know that one has been posted before, but it bears repeating

A winter league where you can develop specs. Currently you can have a winter league but from what I've read it doesn't add to the development of prospects. If this is incorrect then someone please let me know.
joeyjojojrshabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Being able to add draft picks in Commish mode is definitely a feature that should be taken into consideration, good idea.

As for the awards, Playoffs MVP is a good idea, as is Relief Man of the Year (which I use my custom award slot for). But I think what would solve this issue is the option to have more than one custom award.

I don't particularly care about realistic Spring Tranings or Winter Leagues myself, though I know a lot of people are calling for them. But there IS a breakdown of player performances. You can go to Sortable Spring Stats in the Spring Coverage screen (under the League tab). It's just not very intuitive to find.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

It'd be a bit tricky to add as it exists currently in MLB due to the way it figures which teams are eligible for the lottery: the smallest 10 markets (a non-changing list) and the 10 clubs with the lowest revenue in the first round; the clubs which didn't get a selection in the first round plus all clubs receiving revenue sharing eligible in the second round. OOTP handles market size in a completely different way, and revenue sharing works differently too.

Moreover, I've not seen described anywhere the exact mathematics behind how a team's winning percentage is translated into the odds of winning a pick.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
joeyjojojrshabadoo
Minors (Double A)

I added the picks in my online league. I found the teams that qualified based on MLB rules. There were 10 teams that qualified for the initial round and in order of worst winning percentage they were assigned 10 lottery numbers all the way down to one for the team that had the best record. I used a random number generator and drew numbers, coming up with the picks. I imagine MLB has a similar system but they probably use a larger set of numbers. The whole process alone was time consuming. If I were more technically savvy I'm sure a small program could be written to do something like this outside of the game.
joeyjojojrshabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

For those who haven't seen it, here is how MLB ranks the markets according to the new CBA. Note that this list does not change for the duration of the basic agreement (i.e. this market list remains static through the 2016 season).

1. New York Yankees
1. New York Mets
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
3. Los Angeles Angels
5. Chicago Cubs
5. Chicago White Sox
7. San Francisco
7. Oakland
9. Toronto
9. Philadelphia
9. Boston
12. Washington
13. Atlanta
13. Texas
15. Houston
16. Seattle
17. Detroit
18. Arizona
19. Minnesota
20. Baltimore
21. Colorado
22. San Diego
23. Miami
24. Tampa Bay
25. Cleveland
26. St. Louis
27. Kansas City
28. Cincinnati
28. Pittsburgh
30. Milwaukee

What this means is that every year Colorado, San Diego, Miami, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee are automatically eligible for the competitive balance draft. Whichever teams not on this list which have the bottom ten lowest revenues will also be on the list.

I'm not sure how MLB came up with this market ranking. It considers Toronto, Philadelphia, and Boston to be identically sized markets, for example. The ranking isn't the metropolitan statistical area population ranking, nor is it the Nielsen media market size. I presume it's some combination of both metro area population and club revenue.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
bigrevkev55
Minors (Single A)

It's disappointing to see that this thread is over five years old and it's not been incorporated into the game yet.
bigrevkev55 is offline   Reply With Quote