Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 04-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #41
Oriole1952
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_keith View Post
Dick "Turk" Farrell was a bit of a loose cannon and shouldn't even have been trusted with a fake Colt .45.
Farrell was know as a bit of a flake..I was surprised in this pic he looks a lot like Catcher, Dick Brown. I know Brown wasn't a Colt 45 and Farrell was so there's no question of ID, I just thought there was a strong resemblance. Brown was with the Tigers and Orioles around this time.
Oriole1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #42
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

I remember Dick Farrell best for his performance in the 1958 all-star game. As just a second-year major leaguer he had a great season (10-2) as a Phillies reliever and in the all-star game I think he worked two innings and fanned a bunch of big name American League all-stars. Of course he played in the big leagues for about another dozen years, but that early career performance in the all-star game really stood out for me.
He came very close to finishing over .500 for his career (106-111) despite a number of years toiling for the expansion Colt .45s/Astros. In fact if you take away his 10-20 for the 1962 Houston team, that was in their inaugural year, Farrell would have been 5 games over .500, not 5 games under for his career.
dennis_keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #43
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

New Players On Wikipedia's Oldest Living MLB Players List

The latest additions to Wikipedia's oldest Living Players list - at numbers
121 through 125 are Hank Foiles, Frank Thomas, Don Ferrarese, Angelo Lipetri, and Hector Lopez (in that order - oldest to youngest). They range from 87 years, 10 months to 87 years, 8 months of age. (all born in 1929).
Please post their Photos, if available.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #44
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Paul Hinrichs fabricated from a yankee photo and colorized

Paul Hinrichs 1951 Boston Red Sox. I made this image from the Lexi file i posted on Gambo forum
Attached Images

Last edited by SPORTSMEM817; 04-17-2017 at 06:36 PM.
SPORTSMEM817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #45
FatJack
All Star Reserve

More about Mark Higgins (plus custom card)

I'm always curious about former major leaguers that I'm unfamiliar with and even more so with former major leaguers who die seemingly before their time.

As it turns out, Mark suffered from a degenerative neurological disease and had been in declining health the past few years. But he and his wife raised 4 great kids--3 sons and a daughter--and it sounds as though he was supporting them every bit as much as they were supporting him as his health waned. The tale is well told in this piece from Gwinnett sportswriter Will Hammock and I recommend it.

Mark was drafted twice by the Texas Rangers (when he was attending Chipola College, which was a Junior College noted for their athletic programs before adding Bachelors Degree programs in 2003) but chose to finish his college education at the University of New Orleans. In 1984, UNO became the first Louisiana school to reach the College World Series. For his part, Mark set the school's single season home run record. And the Indians chose him in the first round of the June (Secondary) draft of 1984. He hit well in the minors, but got just the one cup of coffee in 1989. He played just one more season after that, with the Brewers' Triple-A affiliate in Denver.

For the custom card, my (stupid) design once again required building up from the image posted by SPORTSMEM817 on the previous page. I'm including an intermediate image to demonstrate that building up certain things (such as a bat) is a one-small-clone-at-a-time process. And I'm also including the back of the card for a look-see, keeping in mind that reducing someone's life and career into a short baseball card paragraph is an impossible task. "Cartoons" are a complete pain in the butt--I think they take me longer than the rest of the process combined--but, imho, they totally make the card (so the effort is kinda worth it).

We'll start with the original image.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #46
keonleafs
Major Leagues

1969 Expos pictures

Here are 2 great B&W pics I found in John Robertson's book "Le Grand Orange of The Expos" (Prentice-Hall 1971), of course about Rusty Staub. These 2 pics are reported in the book to be from "unknown photographers"

The first one has Don Clendenon (only 38 games with the Expos) chatting with Rusty, while the second one was taken at the end of the Expos's very first game of their initial 1969 season, a 11-10 win over the Mets at Shea stadium. Pictured are the stars of that game: bottom row, L to R, Maury Wills (3 for 6, 2 doubles, 1 RBI), Rusty Staub (2 for 3, HR, 3 BB, 2 RBI), Coco Laboy (1 HR, 3 RBI); top row, Don Shaw (Winning Pitcher), and Dan McGinn, a pitcher, who hit the famous very first HR in Expos's history against Mets's HOF Tom Seaver.

Last edited by keonleafs; 10-22-2017 at 01:52 AM.
keonleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #47
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Youngest Man on the Wikipedia Oldest Currently Living Major Leaguers List

Hector Lopez is the latest addition to Wikipedia's Oldest Living MLB Players List - ranking at #125 in age. Lopez is about 87 years and 8 1/2 months of age. He split his career between two teams, the Kansas City Athletics (1955-1959) and the New York Yankees (1959-1966). Lopez's career embodies the question: Would you rather be an everyday player on a bad team, which he was with Kansas City, or be a role player on a winner?
Lopez played on five straight American League champions and two World Series winners with the Yankees, but never quite achieved starting player status in pinstripes. Below is Lopez's rookie card a beautiful 1956 card from Topps.
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #48
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_keith View Post
I remember Dick Farrell best for his performance in the 1958 all-star game. As just a second-year major leaguer he had a great season (10-2) as a Phillies reliever and in the all-star game I think he worked two innings and fanned a bunch of big name American League all-stars. Of course he played in the big leagues for about another dozen years, but that early career performance in the all-star game really stood out for me.
He came very close to finishing over .500 for his career (106-111) despite a number of years toiling for the expansion Colt .45s/Astros. In fact if you take away his 10-20 for the 1962 Houston team, that was in their inaugural year, Farrell would have been 5 games over .500, not 5 games under for his career.

(From retrosheet.org/The Directory Of Major League Years).:
Dick Farrell struck out four of the seven batters he faced in the 1958 all-star game (played on 7/8/58). Only Mickey Mantle reached base (on a walk). He pitched two scoreless, hitless innings, (the seventh and eighth innings).
The 24-year-old Farrell struck out Jackie Jensen, Bill Skowron, Frank Malzone and the final batter he faced, baseball immortal, Ted Williams.

Last edited by dennis_keith; 04-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #49
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonleafs View Post
Here are 2 great B&W pics I found in John Robertson's book "Le Grand Orange of The Expos" (Prentice-Hall 1971), of course about Rusty Staub. These 2 pics are reported in the book to be from "unknown photographers"
I LOVE these! Thanks.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #50
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Angelo Lipetri

Another recent addition to Wikipedia's Oldest Living Players List is Phillies pitcher (1956 and 1958), Angelo Lipetri.
He's listed at #124 of 125. Li Petri is about 87 years and 9 months of age. (Photo source: 1957 Phillies Yearbook)
Attached Images
Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #51
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Don Ferrarese

Pitcher, Don Ferrarese, 87, is another of the newest additions to the
Wikipedia Oldest Currently Living Major Leaguers List , ranking at
#123 in age. (Photo/Text: from 1961 Philadelphia Phillies yearbook).
Attached Images
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #52
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Vic Albury Former Twin passes away

Condolences to his family and friends may he RIP

https://www.facebook.com/groups/238999221854/
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by SPORTSMEM817; 04-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #53
Dto7
All Star Reserve

Branch Rickey

Branch Rickey 1907 New York Highlanders colorized by me
Attached Images
Dto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #54
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Vic Barnhart (colorized and custom)

Started with the picture from the previous page. Not only did I need more space at the top for the custom (stupid template), but, frankly, I find images with wire or netting difficult to work with. I mean you're either going to paint the whole in a monochrome or you'd have to colorize each square separately. So I found an image from the same general time frame (larger...which is saying something, and unidentified as to the player). I find that, ideally, you want the player's relative size to the new background to be the same as the other. I know that sounds confusing. But, basically, I shrunk Vic down to the size of the player on the new photo. Lots of "issues" in the final product. Because of the lighting on the original, I seem to have bitten off a bit of Vic's ear. That doesn't trouble me much. And I missed the section of piping mid-"S". For some reason, the rest of the piping (which I spent some decent time on) exported as some kind of psychadelic paisley swirl, if you look closely. I don't know what's up with that, but--card size--it shouldn't be (and wasn't) a problem, so I didn't bother re-doing it. Also, the printed image shows the red much closer to the magenta we're use to seeing on colorizations of Pirates unis of the era, as opposed to the robust red in the screen captures. So an obligatory "not my best work" and on with the show.

PS--I've decided to include the image with the background and Vic shrunk to the pictured player size (thus giving a realistic perspective). I have no idea who the Bisons player is (knock yourself out). That image, believe it or not, was on a page of suggested Halloween costumes. And it should be noted that I always do the basic flesh tones first; that's just my process.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #55
Dto7
All Star Reserve

Ossee Schrecongost

Ossee Schrecongost 1901 Boston Americans colorized by me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dto7; 04-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Dto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #56
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Nelson Burbrink 1955 Cardinals Colorized

Fabricated this photo to have a catching pose of Burbrink....since then I actually found a B&W of him but oh well.
Attached Images
Old 04-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #57
baseball-birthdays.com
All Star Starter

Please help ID this mystery Brave

I bought this as a 35mm negative from drjteeee (who did not ID the player) thinking it might be Bobby Avila in his 1959 swan song... it's not him, of course. It also doesn't appear to be anyone who ever played for Milwaukee, or who played in Milwaukee's system and then for another major league club. Based on the jersey's piping, the Braves last wore this uniform in 1962 (or spring training in '63)... the sleeve patch unfortunately isn't visible. Can anyone help me positively identify this guy?
Attached Images

Last edited by baseball-birthdays.com; 04-25-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
baseball-birthdays.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #58
keonleafs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball-birthdays.com View Post
I bought this as a 35mm negative from drjteeee (who did not ID the player) thinking it might be Bobby Avila in his 1959 swan song... it's not him, of course. It also doesn't appear to be anyone who ever played for Milwaukee, or who played in Milwaukee's system and then for another major league club. Based on the jersey's piping, the Braves last wore this uniform in 1962 (or spring training in '63)... the sleeve patch unfortunately isn't visible. Can anyone help me positively identify this guy?
Ron Henry who played with the Twins 1961 & 64, Braves MiLB 1955-60

Last edited by keonleafs; 10-22-2017 at 01:52 AM.
keonleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #59
baseball-birthdays.com
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonleafs View Post
Ron Henry who played with the Twins 1961 & 64, Braves MiLB 1955-60
Thank you sir!
baseball-birthdays.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #60
Rainmaker
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Bill Spanswick needs Visine

Can one of our touch-up wizards help me tremendously by getting the red out (and otherwise fixing) this recent Vault image of Bill Spanswick?

Original Vault number is KF206.

Name:  64 Bill Spanswick BOS P.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  75.2 KB

Thanks!
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote