Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
BathshebasTub
Bat Boy

What to look for in a leadoff hitter?

Right now I invested a lot of extra perfect points in a Wille Mays card. Because he has great contact ratings against both righties and lefties, I have him in my leadoff spot. But are there other stats that I should be looking at? Does flyball tendency mean a bad leadoff hitter? Should I be looking at a more neutral hitter?

Thanks for the advice! First year doing perfect team and I am LOVING it!

BathshebasTub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
chazzycat
All Star Starter

OBP comes first, so basically contact (with low power rating), and eye rating. Then of course base stealing ability is a nice bonus (ideally both speed and stealing over 100 with stealing higher than speed).
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathshebasTub View Post
What to look for in a leadoff hitter?
The ability to get on base.

Power is *a bit* wasted in the lesdoff spot since the worst hitters in the lineup are probably hitting at the end of the lineup, thus in front of the leadoff hitter.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
BathshebasTub
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
The ability to get on base.

Power is *a bit* wasted in the lesdoff spot since the worst hitters in the lineup are probably hitting at the end of the lineup, thus in front of the leadoff hitter.
So what is the best determining factor? Contact? Avoid K's and Eye Discipline?

What is more improtant, avoid k's or eye discipline?

Old 11-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:

Isn't this the same thing as asking what the current meta is for the game?

Also, as someone struggling to get back into 21, what is the current meta for the game?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What if you looked at several players with various ratings and compare their stats over a couple seasons instead of asking us to play the game for you...
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
BathshebasTub
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
What if you looked at several players with various ratings and compare their stats over a couple seasons instead of asking us to play the game for you...
Sorry to be a bother. Just trying to learn.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
What if you looked at several players with various ratings and compare their stats over a couple seasons
This is good advice

Ask 10 different people, you're going to get maybe not 10, but a few different answers.

I can say with certainty that a batter with a high contact rating, a high avoid K rating and a high eye rating I would expect to have a high OBP
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
dboeyr12007
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Sorry to be a bother. Just trying to learn.

You are fine. It does help to look and find a guy you personally like, but the community should be here to help people out. Researching yourself will help you to be a better player in the long run, but nothing wrong with looking to get pointed in the right direction. I do not get why people have to be rude, and make people feel bad for having a question.

dboeyr12007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I can say with certainty that a batter with a high contact rating, a high avoid K rating and a high eye rating I would expect to have a high OBP
I would ignore avoid K rating, since it's already factored into contact rating. I look at avoid K as just an indicator of how the guy gets out. Is it by hitting the ball in play or by striking out. Avoid K means more chance of advancing runners without a earning a hit, more chance of double play, and better ability to make contact on hit and run. At least that's what I believe.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
dboeyr12007
Minors (Triple A)

Unless I am completely mistaken, Avoid K and Contact are totally different. Avoid K is their tendency to not strike out, and contact is likelihood of getting a hit when the ball is put in play or in other terms BABIP. Therefore If you have a low Avoid K then you are striking out a ton and even with a high contact rating the player will struggle to have a consistent batting average.

dboeyr12007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

If you turn on commissioner mode and go into the player editor, you can play with the numbers. Contact is made up of a combination of Avoid Ks and a normally hidden BABIP value. Whatever adjustments you make there, the final contact rating predicts the batting average.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timofmars View Post
If you turn on commissioner mode and go into the player editor, you can play with the numbers. Contact is made up of a combination of Avoid Ks and a normally hidden BABIP value. Whatever adjustments you make there, the final contact rating predicts the batting average.
Sir, this is a Wendy’s
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
What if you didn’t respond at all instead of making the guy feel bad for being curious and asking a reasonable question...
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #15
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Right now I invested a lot of extra perfect points in a Wille Mays card. Because he has great contact ratings against both righties and lefties, I have him in my leadoff spot. But are there other stats that I should be looking at? Does flyball tendency mean a bad leadoff hitter? Should I be looking at a more neutral hitter?

Thanks for the advice! First year doing perfect team and I am LOVING it!
Get a guy that can hit some dingers and haul in the achievements

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #16
2tango2
Minors (Triple A)

Can never go wrong with Rickey leading off vL at least

PT21

PT22

2tango2 is offline   Reply With Quote