Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #341
skep
Minors (Double A)

After some tinkering, I've found great success in Bo7 tournaments using the following strategy. I'm surprised others haven't thought of it already, but they will eventually, so I'm sharing it with you here, now.

If you're down 3-1, blast the Rocky theme. Once you win, blast Eye of the Tiger. I was having limited success with this, because I was then going Final Countdown. The better strategy is blast Don't Stop Believing. Custom dictates that once you've won your series using this strategy, you pay off the PT Tournament gods by blasting We Are The Champions at least once.

I'd like to apologize to the Scranton Golden Eagles for employing this strategy just now. I know it is a cheap trick, but I will do whatever it takes to win.

I'm not sure what to do when down 0-3 because that never happens to me.

Last edited by skep; 12-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.
skep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #342
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

I'm finally getting my 1875 cap team and gold teams where they're starting to win regularly. Nice to come home from work and see 8 packs have been added to the coffers since I last checked.

The gold team was a bit of a mystery because I felt I had all the right cards, but the results just weren't coming. After some tweaking, the results seem to be improving. I've found the pitching to be especially touchy.

The cap teams have been doing pretty well for a little bit now, but I feel like I figured out some better roster combos.

Time to enter some more tourneys and see if the luck continues...

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #343
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Also, I think the devs should seriously consider cutting back most of the 128-team tourneys to 64. 128 team fields haven't been filling up very much as indicated by the half-full Tuesday tourney I am registered in here on Wednesday night.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #344
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Lost in the daily silver QF to a team using the three-relievers as starters gambit. Must be pretty effective to clear that field. At least I caught it relatively in time and was able to adjust the handedness of my lineups. Still lost.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #345
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

man that is someone with a pathetic life to cheese a video game with nothing on the line
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #346
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skep View Post
I know it is a cheap trick, but I will do whatever it takes to win.

I'm not sure what to do when down 0-3 because that never happens to me.
The obvious strategy when down 0-3 is to blare "I Want You To Want Me" because with your opponent up by that much, you'll need them to want you to win

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #347
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
game with nothing on the line
It wouldn't bother you unless something was on the line, yar?

I thought we were done with the relievers-starting cheese, too. Sad to see it's still out there.

But the dividing line, even in the MLB, has never been as hard as this game attempts to make it.

Middle-long Starter-Relievers vanished as a role only because of agents and contracts, and not until the 70s.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #348
daves
Hall Of Famer

Do player and team strategies follow the card and team when entering a tournament or does this constantly need updated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #349
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
man that is someone with a pathetic life to cheese a video game with nothing on the line
You don't know that nothing is on the line. Private wagering on PT outcomes is possible.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #350
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Now that is degen. I love it
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #351
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Elsewhere I've noted a lot of teams starting only 3 pitchers, often guys with low stamina, if not outright relievers.

let me announce something else new. Saw a team in Gold Tourney 204, The Gold County Express with but ONE starting pitcher.

To be fair - he doesn't employ the R/L cheese, but the whole exploit of the weak game logic allowing teams to schedule less than 4 starters is a particular travesty.

I get that they didn't care much what people were doing when they were competing against the RNG but now that we're competing against each other it would be cool if they cleaned up some of the crappier logic.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #352
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah its really killed tournaments for me. trying to see who can abuse the game logic the most instead of putting sensible baseball lineups together just isnt my prefered way to play.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #353
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

yup, same happening for me.

Just lost to someone in Bronze for the Championship that started Ty buttrey (sta 19) in 13 games, the rest of his staff only started 18.

https://ibb.co/7j2KhC3

Last edited by Morgans Magic; 12-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #354
Hertston
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_49er View Post

And what kind of cards were inside?

1x Diamond
2x Gold
2x Silver
12x Bronze
7x Iron
Weird vibes flowing... With second place Sunday (1 pack) in a Silver historical, I got

1 x Perfect
1 x Gold
3 x Bronze
1 x Iron

Pity the 100 was a Live! card as the Old Timers, unsurprisingly, only deal in historical cards, but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

P.S. I'm getting increasing pissed with the prizes nerf on historical cards tourneys. I understand the reasoning, but it seems to have achieved nothing except being grossly unfair on those who have concentrated on collecting historic rather than contemporary cards. The daily and longer tourneys take as long as ever to fill, and with the Bassets playing only Live! tourneys I haven't noticed any difference in take-up there, either.

Last edited by Hertston; 12-10-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Hertston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #355
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The daily silver that used to fill up while I was sleeping is currently at just 26/64.

Seems like it's quite a few people who are turned off by the fact that there is more cheese than a wisconsin state fair.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #356
elutz31
Minors (Double A)

If the rotation was left with less than 4 pitchers it should be deemed as ineligible and you should be unable to continue. As in the sanity check working as intended. If a reliever was used as a starter than you should be forced to choose a follower for that starting reliever and that follower would act like a starter and be ineligible to pitch in the bullpen outside of his scheduled follow to ensure he was available. Do the same for any starters with reduced pitch counts. If the pitch count is under 50 or 60 a follower needs to be assigned. Short/low stamina relievers should be ineligible to be followers. Slightly decrease the effectiveness of players playing tired. If someone rolls out an all lefty starting rotation with them all at a 50 or 60 pitch count 4 starting pitchers or high stamina relievers would also be locked from pitching in the bullpen outside of their scheduled start/follow day lowering amount of available pitchers to pitch in the bullpen otherwise. The rest of them pitching less effectively due to being overworked. If people add more pitchers to try to combat it the hitters would suffer more often from the higher fatigue penalty due to lack of backups. The biggest issue being teams taking advantage of players not able to manage their team every 30 minutes with the old bait and switch style rotations. Anything to help eliminate that would be appreciated.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #357
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah its really killed tournaments for me. trying to see who can abuse the game logic the most instead of putting sensible baseball lineups together just isnt my prefered way to play.

I don’t understand? Strategy is part of the game. If I can win by starting my closers so be it. I witnessed many different strategies and if it works, then it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #358
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I don’t understand? Strategy is part of the game. If I can win by starting my closers so be it. I witnessed many different strategies and if it works, then it works.
I think the disparity here is that people are utilizing non-baseball strategies that exist only because of the manner in which the game mechanics operate. Everyone wants to play the game, but not everyone wants to also play this meta-game.

Nobody is going to accuse PT in any of its forms of being realistic, but we still want it to be baseball.

Primary Team

Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #359
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I think the disparity here is that people are utilizing non-baseball strategies that exist only because of the manner in which the game mechanics operate. Everyone wants to play the game, but not everyone wants to also play this meta-game.

Nobody is going to accuse PT in any of its forms of being realistic, but we still want it to be baseball.
I disagree that this strategy exists only because of game mechanics. If I, as a playoff manager, had access to an arsenal of a hundred flamethrowing relievers and I just had to win 2/3, I'd for sure stock my staff with the best of them and forget about the concept of starting pitching. The "exploiting platoons" thing comes up some, but if you're a real life manager and you saw your opponents doing this, then I bet you'd adjust your roster to not platoon as heavily. Makes sense to me.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #360
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
I disagree that this strategy exists only because of game mechanics. If I, as a playoff manager, had access to an arsenal of a hundred flamethrowing relievers and I just had to win 2/3, I'd for sure stock my staff with the best of them and forget about the concept of starting pitching. The "exploiting platoons" thing comes up some, but if you're a real life manager and you saw your opponents doing this, then I bet you'd adjust your roster to not platoon as heavily. Makes sense to me.
If we were real life managers, we would be able to respond and react to strategies in real time. The fact that this game utilizes AI managers who do not understand how to implement the strategies we set up (such as my Cedeno defensive replacement debacle in the bugs forum) turns this into meta-gaming.

Nobody should have any issues with legitimate baseball strategies. Cheese is not baseball strategy. It is meta-gaming.

Primary Team