Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #21
croatian
All Star Starter

[QUOTE=julius;4367482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian View Post
Hopefully FHM gets more licensed leagues. Option to create better game, more and in-depth modes with license is so much wider.

Utter nonsense.

Ok, whatever...now go to EA forums and tell them to drop NHL license as well.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #22
julius
Minors (Single A)

EA's NHL series is completely tied to the NHL-you can't create non-NHL leagues and customization is a joke. Even using the NHL name in the title would require a copyright license from the NHL. Player portraits, arenas etc all require copyright licenses.

The FHM series is significantly different. There are no graphics to speak of and league customization, a robust franchise mode and flexibility are the main advantages it offers. It is not tied exclusively to the NHL and there should be no copyright issues if we download rosters etc.

What I particularly dislike, in addition to further enriching the NHL New York office for no discernible reason, is the leverage that this license provides the NHL in how games are developed. For example, NHL corporate public relations wants to de-emphasize physical play. It then requires the games that it licenses to reduce hitting/fighting in order to suit the new corporate image. I expect the official response from FHM is "this never happens" but what else is the NHL reviewing this game for before 'approving' it? The thought of this happening is grating.

Last edited by julius; 09-17-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
Well, my experience with the NHL licensing process consists of it being an excuse that you offer when long-standing customers query you on why a release is being delayed. Can you confirm that the NHL license causes no such delay? If so, you will need to amend your response (for example, see your posts above).
Yes, I can absolutely confirm no such delay in the release of the game. We've never stated a release, but our original internal time frame has never been missed.

Quote:
Please note that I refer here not to the normal delay and time required to develop each version (which is what you address in your response above) but the additional delay caused by having the NHL review your proposal, which is an entirely different matter. You have confirmed this additional delay both this year and last when directly asked.
You stated the game should be out in September. You simply assumed.

Quote:
Let's tackle my other observations shall we? Can you confirm that the NHL license is free and is not a cost that you pass on to the ultimate purchaser? Do you really think I need hands-on experience dealing with the NHL to know this is not the case? But, please tell me I am wrong.
Your assumptions when you have no experience with it makes what you may or may not think irrelevant because it's not truth.

Quote:
You state that "there is a reason we are licensed" but then fail to divulge any reason. As I noted, it is a very simple process to download rosters, logos etc., so that can't be the reason. Moreover, if you run your league over a few seasons, most players end up being computer-created anyways. Plus, there are many of us creating custom leagues who have no need at all for the NHL license.
We don't have any need to divulge more. Your statement of facts is what is convenient for you does not necessarily mean it is for everyone. We poll and can see some stats that tells us where most of our games are played and you sir and no where in the ballpark.

Quote:
Since we are paying for this license (subject to your telling me I am wrong about this), can you please articulate for us the advantages in doing so.
No, I have no need to go into this. If Markus wants to, that's fine. But this topic is now at an end. I gave fine information explaining the situation and rather than take that information as a positive sign, you've twisted it and tried to change my words. That is not okay. Your demands are not going to be met, nor will it change the answer I give.

The question was asked, and answered.
Closed Thread