Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #21
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

My 1994 actually did/does have real minor league teams and uniforms...but then, I'm horribly OCD about that kind of thing.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #22
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
As opposed to your nonsense, I actually did what I said I did.
Is someone unfamiliar with a classic Monty Python sketch?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Labatt Park? Come on man, Montreal is Molson country.

That's like putting Coors Field in St. Louis.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #24
21C
Minors (Triple A)

Labatt Park was a proposed new stadium for the Expos that obviously never panned out.
Labatt ballpark
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #25
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Labatt Park was a proposed new stadium for the Expos that obviously never panned out.
Labatt ballpark
JRP made this one.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #26
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Labatt Park? Come on man, Montreal is Molson country.

That's like putting Coors Field in St. Louis.
I have a High Heat Molson Stadium, I believe it is a clone of the Metrodome. Can't find it right now but if you want it i could find it,maybe get JRP to do it properly.

"Stay Strong"

Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #27
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
JRP made this one.
Got a night version by chance?
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #28
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
Got a night version by chance?
no but i am sure someone could make one.

"Stay Strong"

Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Kronos
Major Leagues

Love the idea of quickstarts/scenarios, wish the financials were turned on though
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #30
BradC
All Star Starter

Does anyone happen to have a version of this Quick Start that has the players Ceej listed on the DL? I am supposed to run this sim 100 times and compile some results for a guy who wants to do a podcast interview with me.

Sure, I can make the changes myself -- I just figured if someone already has a version with this taken care of, and they don't mind sending it to me, I'd appreciate it. Seems like not having accurate DLs could throw the sim out of whack if we're wondering what might have happened.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #31
BradC
All Star Starter

Ack, something else just occurred to me: Since there are no minor leagues, if I follow Ceej's list and edit the players accordingly, some teams will be severely short-handed. How do I handle that?

I hate to say, "Ah, I'll sim it the way it is," since it will throw off the realism of the sim if, for example, Frank Viola is available to the Red Sox. Sure, he was reaching the end of his career, but obviously the Red Sox' fortunes would have been a little better with him in the rotation vs. a call-up. And then that could impact teams the Red Sox were due to play, and so on. Multiply that by all the other guys who are in this Quick Start as healthy but who should be unavailable and you could have some deviations from what was expected to happen.

Or am I overthinking this?

BTW, this is also going to be used with a guy who is writing a book about the 1994 season. He approached us about simming the rest of the season in the game for his book, and that's what got Markus to create this. So it would be nice to have something as realistic as possible when the time comes for me to sim the rest of the season a certain number of times for him.

Last edited by BradC; 08-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #32
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

I do remember John Smoltz had season-ending elbow surgery about a week or two for the strike and was said to have been unavailable for the remainder of the season.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #33
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

A few things to point out (game and non-game) about this:

1. The Reds and Astros are tied, when in reality, the Astros were 1/2 game back at the strike. The worst part about this? If they end in an actual tie, the Astros win the Central

2. Man...how I wish my mother and aunt never threw out my old Baseball Weekly's and Sporting News editions I had from 1992-1997 (when I was 9-15) after my grandmother died in 2005. The rosters/minors I could've been able to provide the actual settings.

3. Back to the game...this is a nice barebones start. Honestly, everyone complaining about the minors missing: start from 1994 or don't play it all! It is nice that the team actually built this quickstart roster for us. Thank them, don't throw a fit!

4. Hopefully, this could lead to the roster makers to build the minor system for this.

5. The only thing I dislike is scouting/financials disabled. I started playing as the Reds and found all I had to do to fill my reserve roster (signing Hubie Brooks and Jack Morris) was click "sign". I should've enabled these before playing (oops).

6. Playoffs: I think LGO had the original matchups for the LDS that year, and what division was supposed to host the LCS. I cannot remember if the same format in 1995 was supposed to be in 1994? (ALE vs. ALC, ALW vs. ALWC, NLE vs. NLWC, NLC vs. NLW). IIRC, one of the two was actually shuffled because the wild card came from the same division as the champion, AL perhaps?

Gameplay:

I made it to Roster expansion and seen some interesting trades: Cardinals trade Brian Jordan and John Mabry to Texas. The Brewers offered me Mike Fetters for Willie Greene straight up (remembering how Fetters was a good CL from 94-96 and what Greene panned out to be made this move wise).

The division/wild card leaders for me at Roster Expansion:
AL - Yankees, Indians, Angels/Rangers (tied at 60-75), Orioles (White Sox 2 GB, Royals 6 GB)
NL - Expos, Reds, Dodgers, Braves/Astros (tied, Mets only other team at .500 in NL)
Gwynn is hitting .384
Matt Williams leads MLB with 48 HR
Maddux has a sub 1.50 ERA
Jimmy Key has 20 wins

Last edited by nutt; 08-25-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #34
BradC
All Star Starter

I simmed this a couple times for the heck of it, to see what would happen (the Expos won the WS once and got knocked out in the NLDS the other time, 3-2), but I didn't look too closely at the final results.

How do teams handle trades, roster expansions, and such if there are no minors? Is there a large enough free agency pool that they just sign players from that, assuming they have budget room?

Also, if I use Ceej's list and set up the player injuries accordingly, how do I handle guys who were hurt but might come back, like the Tigers' John Doherty, who went on the DL July 10 with a strained ab muscle? I assume he probably would have come back at some point, but I don't know how to handle that.

Or maybe I should just deal with the guys who had career- and season-ending injuries along with the guys whose returns were noted (like Gooden being suspended for 60 days on June 28) and call it a day?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #35
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

There really shouldn't be any more trades in this scenario, which starts in August. I think for the purposes of this what if, I would turn them off completely.

I know I had one play test where the Indians traded Kenny Lofton on the last day of the season despite being a playoff team. I don't think we want to see any of that. We just want to know whether the Indians or the Expos were better that year
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
BradC
All Star Starter

Good point RE trades. I will turn them off for this sim, so I can be as accurate as possible. And Markus pointed out to me that the teams have their 40-man rosters, so, of course, they can rely on that and/or free agents for players who I take away due to injury.

I'm still not 100% sure, though, how to handle certain injuries. For example, if a guy was out since late June with a strained groin, should I assume he would have returned and set a date for that, or leave him alone, or remove him from the rest of the season?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #37
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I simmed this a couple times for the heck of it, to see what would happen (the Expos won the WS once and got knocked out in the NLDS the other time, 3-2), but I didn't look too closely at the final results.

How do teams handle trades, roster expansions, and such if there are no minors? Is there a large enough free agency pool that they just sign players from that, assuming they have budget room?

Also, if I use Ceej's list and set up the player injuries accordingly, how do I handle guys who were hurt but might come back, like the Tigers' John Doherty, who went on the DL July 10 with a strained ab muscle? I assume he probably would have come back at some point, but I don't know how to handle that.

Or maybe I should just deal with the guys who had career- and season-ending injuries along with the guys whose returns were noted (like Gooden being suspended for 60 days on June 28) and call it a day?
I'd say to make this quickstart better than what it is, would be to get the known suspended/injured players that are out for the season, and then go from there. I'd have to glance at the Mets schedule to know how many games Gooden still had remaining on the suspended list (I'm pretty sure the reason the 94 Mets on mine start getting hot is they have the Gooden-Saberhagen 1-2 punch).
Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
Ceej
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
I do remember John Smoltz had season-ending elbow surgery about a week or two for the strike and was said to have been unavailable for the remainder of the season.
You're right. The season was not officially canceled until September 14 so it's conceivable that play could have resumed and then the Braves would have had to play down the stretch without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I'm still not 100% sure, though, how to handle certain injuries. For example, if a guy was out since late June with a strained groin, should I assume he would have returned and set a date for that, or leave him alone, or remove him from the rest of the season?
You could look at recovery times for players who had the same injuries and estimate a timetable based on those. I looked at DL stints for groin injuries from 1990-'95 and almost all of them lasted around a month - the exceptions were Dave Johnson in 1991 taking ten weeks because he relapsed, and Bryan Harvey's was taking longer because it required surgery. Back problems are perhaps the hardest to estimate recovery times for though, they range from just missing a month to being season-ending.

For the sake of completeness I'll take the time here to list all the players who missed the entire season, but did play in the majors again. I don't *think* anybody on this list would have had a chance to come back late in the season had it continued (Chipper Jones among them).

ATL - Chipper Jones (tore knee ligament in spring training)
CAL - Andy Allanson (did play in the minors that year, but had season-ending surgery in July), Julio Valera (Tommy John surgery)
CHW - Scott Radinsky (Hodgkin's Disease)
CIN - Rob Dibble (labrum and rotator cuff surgery), Ron Gant (fractured fibia and tibula in preseason dirtbike accident)
MON - Scott Aldred (Tommy John surgery)
PHI - Norm Charlton (Tommy John surgery)
SFG - Trevor Wilson (shoulder surgery)
STL - Donovan Osborne (shoulder surgery)
TOR - Duane Ward (shoulder surgery)
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #39
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
4. Hopefully, this could lead to the roster makers to build the minor system for this.
I briefly considered that but, tempting as it may be, we just don't have the time or manpower for that kind of project

That being said, if there were a bunch of folks that wanted to work on it, we might possibly be able to get Andreas to set the season up in a multi person online editor like we use to work on the regular quickstart rosters.

So if that's the sort of thing that gets you excited, please send me a Pm and let me know you'd be up for it or just respond in the thread!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. The Reds and Astros are tied, when in reality, the Astros were 1/2 game back at the strike.
How games played in total for each club? In real life the club records were Cincinnati 66-48-1 and Houston 66-49-0. Cincinnati had a game against St. Louis on April 8 end as an 8-8 tie. If that game had been turned into a regular game loss for Cincinnati in the schedule file instead of deleted that would explain why the two clubs have the same record.

The schedule file for this Quickstart is a bit tricky in that it is the as played schedule up to and including Aug. 12th. But that means several postponed games need to be made up after that date (and their make up dates will be guesses since the real season never unfolded after that date). Also, Seattle, due to problems with the Kingdome, had to start playing home games as road games. This would have continued had the season in real life resumed.

Quote:
6. Playoffs: I think LGO had the original matchups for the LDS that year, and what division was supposed to host the LCS. I cannot remember if the same format in 1995 was supposed to be in 1994? (ALE vs. ALC, ALW vs. ALWC, NLE vs. NLWC, NLC vs. NLW). IIRC, one of the two was actually shuffled because the wild card came from the same division as the champion, AL perhaps?
In 1994 the home field advantage for the Division Series were assigned as follows:

AL East, AL Central
NL Central, NL West

In the League Championship Series:

AL East (or the team that defeated it, excluding the Wild Card)
NL West (or the team that defeated it, excluding the Wild Card)

In the World Series, the AL would have had the home field advantage. (It was changed from the NL having it to avoid conflicts with the NFL. In compensation, the NL would have had the home field advantage in the 1995 and 1996 World Series.)

Based on the standings at the time of the strike, the Division Series match-ups would have been as follows:

AL: Cleveland vs. New York
AL: Texas vs. Chicago
NL: Atlanta vs. Cincinnati
NL: Montreal vs. Los Angeles

The team listed second in each match-up would have had the home field advantage for the best-of-five series. However, the home field rotation was 2-3, so the team listed first would have hosted the first two games of its Division Series.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote