Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Fenixdown
Minors (Double A)

Missions + AH = Proof The Game NEEDS Trading Function

Now, before everyone goes on a rant of "but trades are just an easier system to exploit" and "but players set the value of cards" and all that nonsense, let's take a breath and look at some things.

Let's take a look at Francisco Cordero. A below average diamond level reliever who is now being listed on the AH for 110,000. His average winning bid all-time? 7,629. Average the past 7 days? 16,250. His ultimate reward from his mission? A high silver level right fielder with high power and average defense (which you could trip over on the AH for about 300 PP) and a diamond level catcher with decent offensive capability and below average defensive ability (which you could get on the AH for about 7k PP).

Seems like it's probably not worth the net loss, huh. And that price will just lead to it sitting there on the AH. Forever. Unpurchased and helping nobody.

This problem happens A LOT in this game. Also, you have the second problem of hardly ever finding the players you're looking for ever listed on the AH in the first place. Or even a combination of the two.

There's got to be a better way to do this and make it both a. more enjoyable for the consumers and b. far less of a headache.

And that's where I say the game needs a trading function. But it would obviously need to be done correctly, or else, yes, you'd just have people exploiting the system like mad to boost teams without trying to use the AH for it. But the thing is, it's actually REALLY EASY to set up a trading system that people can't just use and abuse by setting up two simple parameters.

1. You can only trade cards of the same rarity level.

Yes, I'm sure the first thing you thought of is someone trying to trade Ted Williams for Derek Holland or some such obvious cheating. Well, if it's set up to where only cards of equal rarity value can be swapped, then that immediately eliminates the ability to move perfects across accounts just to boost teams past other teams. The only way you could move that Williams is for another level 100 obsidian card, making it kind of moot. Now, sure you could argue still that it leaves possible holes, but the holes are minimal at best. You could trade perfects for historicals, and say it's a rip off, but it's only that way unless both parties can agree that Ron Guidry for Alex Bregman isn't a bad deal.

Okay, so there's still one other way to make a trading system work where it's fair and still fun, and that's this.

2. You can only trade players WHO ARE LOCKED.

That's right. Locked players have zero value right now. None. Zip. El zilcho. Completed a collection mission? Hey, great, here's some irons you'll never use and better luck on the next 487 missions you'll never see the light of day on finishing.

But wait...what if you could complete a mission, then turn around and help other people complete a mission, and likewise complete more missions? Holy crap on a stick I think everyone would pee themselves. And the best part is? Since locked players would now have some value...THE AH CAN'T TRY TO RIP EVERYONE OFF ANYMORE. Completed your Rangers achievement with Cordero, but now you're one shy of Baseball in Arlington and don't have the 40k to spend on Buddy Bell or 25k on Jim Kern? Why not trade that Cordero to someone who needs it, and get Kern in the process and complete another achievement? Then trade that Kern to someone for Nolan Ryan and get Big Boppers out of the way? Three people just got a card they needed for a collection mission, and none of them had to shell out their wallet to do it! The community of the game actually becomes a real community and not just a bunch of people trying to rip a bunch of other people off because they are on the interwebs and that be what you do.

Oh, and of course one third thing.

3. A CARD THAT YOU TRADE FOR IS IMMEDIATELY LOCKED, AND A MISSION COMPLETED WITH TRADED CARDS HAS IT'S NON-PACK CARD REWARDS IMMEDIATELY LOCKED. This is just plain obvious. You don't want people swapping cards to try and sell them on the AH for profit.

System could be very simple. You list a player you want. You then list the options you have available for trade. Someone comes along and sees your listing, sees you have something they need, and boom, click a button and deal is processed. Example.

- I need 92 Jim Kern. I have locked 93 Walker Buehler and 92 Ronald Acuna. I list my trade. Someone has Kern and needs or wants Acuna. They click which player I have listed that they desire, and the trade is completed. I then complete my mission, and both Sundberg and Hough reward cards are immediately locked.

This means that both parties are in control of the trade, which is how a trade should obviously work. It's fair and agreeable, and best of all, it just made two people not come to the forums and gripe and moan about AH prices. Which I think we can all agree is a win for everyone.

Trading then isn't a system people try to exploit to maximize their team and rip people off in the process, but a system to help people out who are just missing that one or two cards for a collection mission and don't have 375089347589327658923475698324760983427289 PP to spend on them.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I know nobody will ever go for it because it cuts into profit margins and that's far more important than making consumers happier with your product, but hey, shots in the dark might sometimes hit, am I right?
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

This is one of those ideas that requires a large amount of devtime for a truly small payoff. Go to any other Ultimate Team gamemode with both an AH and a trading system. Which do you think gets used 99.99% of the time?

And there's a reason that in all those games with a trading system, "locked" cards are also banned from trading as well. Besides, why would the developers have any incentive to do this? It just increases supply without changing demand, which lowers the cost (and reduces their profits). It's a ton of effort for a potentially negative payoff which only has a truly niche use case for only the subset of players who want to do card trading, which is probably a smaller fraction than you think.

It doesn't make a necessarily positive impact on the economy even for those players who are interested, either. If you think silvers, golds, and diamonds on the AH are rare and that the offers are outrageous, you're going to be shocked to find out that people's valuation of these weird locked card trades will not be much different. You may as well just be asking for collections cards to not be locked, it would have nearly the same effect while being way less hassle (and more obvious that this idea is just a request for free stuff).

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Trades aren't a bad idea, but would be tough to execute properly.

Another option would be to make a set cost to unlock cards, although this is substantially harder to implement on the higher cards.

Could be either 1/2 or 3/4 to of the quick sell value to unlock the card. Could also be 1/2 or 3/4 the lifetime average to unlock the card.

Other option would be to simply reduce the quick sell value of the cards by that amount, but allow players to quick sell locked cards at that reduced value. For example, a diamond now quick sells at 2k (or 1k) instead of 4k once locked.

Both options allow you to still use the cards if you want to, so you're not required to unlock them to use them. They also allow you to recover some of the cost if that's more important. It also still takes PP and cards off the market which is a massive feature of the collection missions that I'm sure the dev's intended to help control supply and demand.

Edit: I should add, this is under the assumption the dev's are unhappy with collections and the market. I assume they are not though.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team

Last edited by Maxfire5; 08-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That brought to mind another thing...Billy Joel "The Piano Man" should probably have a card. Yeah, he didn't play ball but he is from New York. ...Why not, right? He'd come up to bat in a black suit with some fancy jewelry, some Billy Joel tune maybe could play in the background somehow? Rate him a solid 89... I'd love to see him up there swinging a bat in a black suit or shagging fly balls in right field.

Great post, my man.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

How about they try to require so many useful cards to complete missions. Look at the 90 Ichiro mission. We are talking a who's who of top Gold and lower hitters. Those cards will be locked or up for ridiculous prices on the AH. Why not create a demand for crappy cards that have no real use instead? It already is hard enough to find useful non-live cards without them being locked into people's collections.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfire5 View Post
Trades aren't a bad idea, but would be tough to execute properly.

Another option would be to make a set cost to unlock cards, although this is substantially harder to implement on the higher cards.

Could be either 1/2 or 3/4 to of the quick sell value to unlock the card. Could also be 1/2 or 3/4 the lifetime average to unlock the card.

Other option would be to simply reduce the quick sell value of the cards by that amount, but allow players to quick sell locked cards at that reduced value. For example, a diamond now quick sells at 2k (or 1k) instead of 4k once locked.

Both options allow you to still use the cards if you want to, so you're not required to unlock them to use them. They also allow you to recoup some of the cost if that's more important. It also still takes PP and cards off the market which is a massive feature of the collection missions that I'm sure the dev's intended to help control supply and demand.
I like this suggestion more. But if this were ever implemented, there would be such a huge influx of PP to the market that it wouldn't make a real difference in the cost of cards, and who knows what other things a crippled economy might do. Not Auctionable or Tradeable cards as leftovers from sets is a mechanic that has been in Ultimate Team games unchanged for years, and it's unchanged because the economy is perfectly acceptable and stable with it.

For evaluating any free stuff idea, I always go by the following criterion:

Is the primary real effect of the proposed change to give out free stuff?

If the answer is yes, you reject the idea and move on with your life. Not that I have a problem with free stuff; I'm a 5 team FTP after all. But you gotta think like a developer, think like a game designer and economist, and not think like a player.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 AM   #7
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

1. Trading will happen...slightly after New Orleans raises above sea level, and slightly before Yellowstone explodes. That's a guarantee.

2. The AH and the idiotically greedy level of profiteering has driven me to pack only. That's the only way you win—you make all those slothful Vanderbilt's and Zuckerberg's eat their pile of Peter Fairbanks that nobody with half a brains would pay 3K for.

3. It's their right to price gouge. Get over it. I did. I fought back the only way I can, by going pack only.

4. Sell your duplicates at something below what the gougers ask...and steal their business. Want to eliminate predatory pricing? You CANNOT regulate it away. You have to undercut them, and leave them with nothing new in their palm.

5. Trading is Never, Never, Never going to happen.

That said, go out and spend some moolah on points and buy some packs. It'll encourage the developers. Remember who the real enemy is—it ain't the Development Team.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

"eat their pile of Peter Fairbanks"

Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
1. Trading will happen...slightly after New Orleans raises above sea level, and slightly before Yellowstone explodes. That's a guarantee.

2. The AH and the idiotically greedy level of profiteering has driven me to pack only. That's the only way you win—you make all those slothful Vanderbilt's and Zuckerberg's eat their pile of Peter Fairbanks that nobody with half a brains would pay 3K for.

3. It's their right to price gouge. Get over it. I did. I fought back the only way I can, by going pack only.

4. Sell your duplicates at something below what the gougers ask...and steal their business. Want to eliminate predatory pricing? You CANNOT regulate it away. You have to undercut them, and leave them with nothing new in their palm.

5. Trading is Never, Never, Never going to happen.

That said, go out and spend some moolah on points and buy some packs. It'll encourage the developers. Remember who the real enemy is—it ain't the Development Team.
I can't remember the last time I got a useful card from packs.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #10
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Useful is relative. Cobb is hanging out in diamond, silver, wherever is crew ends up or belongs/fits. You'd need quite a strategy or lots, lots of moolah to be packs only & competing in Perfect level but that doesn't mean you can't be flexible. Cobb reached perfect and then said goodbye for his good reason.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:29 AM   #11
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Diamond and relaxed. I still get useful cards from packs. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, sometimes it rains. I’m having fun at pack only. I’m not enjoying the plutocracy, but there’s no point in fighting it...so I periodically stick my tongue �� out at it. Thanks for being understanding of my position.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

This suggestion seems to entail a truly colossal amount of bureaucracy instead of checking the auction house again tomorrow.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #13
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

There’s no bureaucracy involved in sticking your tongue out��
Old 08-20-2019, 02:16 AM   #14
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

The real problems are a lack of supply and the amount of PP in the system. Because of the lack of supply its easy for one person to control the prices of entire collection missions.

I don't expect this to be solved, the systems in place in this game are rudimentary compared to something like FIFA which has been evolving for 10 years.

I don't think trading would solve anything, and OOTP don't want to help the players complete missions they want to make money, they are not your friend, they are trying to sell you gambling . There is a reason why lootboxes, which player packs are, are currently being legislated against, or in the case of some games being phased out, its now become a positive to say your game doesn't include lootboxes.

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #15
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Trading is terrible. It would be abused and destroy the game economy. There's a reason ultimate team got rid of it. Maybe you've never played a similar game before. Trading only players who are locked is beyond really dumb and defeats the entire point of locking players.

The answer is putting more packs into the economy. The return is terrible so no one spends points on them unless they are doing some packs only theme or just feel like blowing some points. Now obviously the return is going to be less than you put in, but FIFA fixes this by requiring any purchased currency to be spent on packs, rewarding packs weekly based on performance, and missions that can actually be completed without having to refresh the auction house 24/7 hoping a specific 67 rated hardwood hero appears. The ratio of active users to unique cards is far too low which leads to cards simply never showing up.

Last edited by dkgo; 08-20-2019 at 08:16 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #16
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I'd say the 20k should be useful. Pulled this a minute ago from a standard mission pack.
Attached Images

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Jeez...maybe you could come by my house and open some packs? In between 19 & 20, have drawn 2 perfects when not testing...and of course we don't get to keep those
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #18
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Trading is terrible. It would be abused and destroy the game economy. There's a reason ultimate team got rid of it. Maybe you've never played a similar game before. Trading only players who are locked is beyond really dumb and defeats the entire point of locking players.

The answer is putting more packs into the economy. The return is terrible so no one spends points on them unless they are doing some packs only theme or just feel like blowing some points. Now obviously the return is going to be less than you put in, but FIFA fixes this by requiring any purchased currency to be spent on packs, rewarding packs weekly based on performance, and missions that can actually be completed without having to refresh the auction house 24/7 hoping a specific 67 rated hardwood hero appears. The ratio of active users to unique cards is far too low which leads to cards simply never showing up.
I think they should lower the discard value of higher tier cards as well
, when the best thing to do with a diamond or perfect is discard it your economy is messed up.

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
neugey
All Star Reserve

Trades would introduce too big of a risk of collusion. If the AH getting too high is a problem, then give every player a free standard pack every two weeks, do something like that to increase the supply.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #20
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Two points:

1. The high price for cards like Cordero right now is 90% due to the release of missions requiring him yesterday. Many people bank on a "first completer" effect, where oftentimes people with a lot of PP will pay through the nose to complete a mission. This is a short-lived effect. After a couple of weeks the prices will become more rational (higher than before, for many cards, but not 400% of their pre-collection prices)

2. There needs to be a way to get more historical cards into circulation. It's just too difficult to get usable historical cards except from the AH. I don't know the answer for this, but I feel it's just too stinking difficult to get historical cards from packs. Maybe the answer to this is some sort of "historical pack" that would guarantee one or more non-live cards. I don't know what it'd have to cost but it's something I hope OOTP considers. (granted - perhaps OOTP *likes* the difficulty in obtaining historical cards, since it might drive people to purchase more packs... what the users want isn't always what the business wants!).
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote