Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Aaron Rodgers

Are the media & population in general afraid to say he is a jerk? Or are all the now toxic relationships surrounding him just one o' dem thangs?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

As a Packers fan, I’ve followed Aaron’s career closely. He’s definitely a complicated person. Dismissing him as a jerk, while I understand the sentiment, to me, is too simplistic. He’s something of an enigma, if you ask me. A hard nut to crack.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
As a Packers fan, I’ve followed Aaron’s career closely. He’s definitely a complicated person. Dismissing him as a jerk, while I understand the sentiment, to me, is too simplistic. He’s something of an enigma, if you ask me. A hard nut to crack.
The thing is, I find when dysfunctional people are successful they are complicated. When they aren't, they are acting like a mule.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by TC Dale; 12-08-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: edited for not following rules.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Just curious, did I miss something? What brought this on? I have always thought he was overrated anyway. A really good QB, just not as god like as people make him out to be. He's human, and he needs an allstar team around him to win or reach a SB. That's why I think he's overrated.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Just curious, did I miss something? What brought this on? I have always thought he was overrated anyway. A really good QB, just not as god like as people make him out to be. He's human, and he needs an allstar team around him to win or reach a SB. That's why I think he's overrated.
I wouldn't say he needs an all-star team. Not many Pro Bowlers have been on his offense. But I do say he's overrated. When GB played NE & they were saying it was the 2 greatest QB's of all time going at it, I wanted to throw up. A-Rod better than Payton? Brees? Montana? Elway? Marino?

What brought this up was just my idle brain thinking of how he exiled his family from his life. Persistent rumours that he got McCartney fired. And now an assistant gets canned after he tweeted something. I've never heard anyone question A-Rod's behavior. Like when his brother called him out for not checking on his parents during the Cali wildfires. My parents would have had to do something really heinous and abusive for me not to call my mom in that type of crisis. That's alarming to me. But just about every take I heard criticized the brother just because A-Rod made a donation to a relief charity. The money is nice, but you only have one mom. Unless she put crack in his milk bottle I find little reason for him not to make sure she was all right.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I doubt Rodgers got anyone fired. They may have asked his input and it may have held more weight than some players but McCarthy got fired because of McCarthy.
Does it really make sense to fire a coach because a 35 yr old and lately often injured qb says so?
I just dont see the packers firing McCarthy because of Rodgers input unless they had already planned to do so.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I doubt Rodgers got anyone fired. They may have asked his input and it may have held more weight than some players but McCarthy got fired because of McCarthy.
Does it really make sense to fire a coach because a 35 yr old and lately often injured qb says so?
I just dont see the packers firing McCarthy because of Rodgers input unless they had already planned to do so.
Did A-Rod specifically say MCC has got to go? Probably not. But did he make it clear he no longer respected McC's position as his HC? I think so. He wouldn't be the first superstar to do so. My thoughts in this thread has more to do with the totality of his relationships. People w/personality disorders, for example, can be very functional in their business, but very dysfunctional in their relationships. If you see someone's most personal relationships continuously end in a nuclear holocaust, that's potentially a sign.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Did A-Rod specifically say MCC has got to go? Probably not. But did he make it clear he no longer respected McC's position as his HC? I think so. He wouldn't be the first superstar to do so. My thoughts in this thread has more to do with the totality of his relationships. People w/personality disorders, for example, can be very functional in their business, but very dysfunctional in their relationships. If you see someone's most personal relationships continuously end in a nuclear holocaust, that's potentially a sign.
As i said his opinion carried some weight but i dont think its enough to get McCarthy fired if the packers had not already considered it .
I dont see Rodgers as any different than any other famous person.
Its kind of hard to judge a person's character when you only know him through the media or maybe one encounter.
I read that Barry Bonds is a ahole all the time. Yet in most of the interviews ive seen he is being polite in answering the questions. Usually its the interviewer that is being rude.
I dont know the full story of Rodgers fight with his family or whomever so im not gonna judge him to be an ahole. That is unless he throws a td against my team. Then he is the biggest jerk i've never met.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
As i said his opinion carried some weight but i dont think its enough to get McCarthy fired if the packers had not already considered it .
I dont see Rodgers as any different than any other famous person.
Its kind of hard to judge a person's character when you only know him through the media or maybe one encounter.
I read that Barry Bonds is a ahole all the time. Yet in most of the interviews ive seen he is being polite in answering the questions. Usually its the interviewer that is being rude.
I dont know the full story of Rodgers fight with his family or whomever so im not gonna judge him to be an ahole. That is unless he throws a td against my team. Then he is the biggest jerk i've never met.
Your opinion is the same as mine. I'm not saying he is a jerk. I'm just posting the question. As I said earlier. I hear a lot of justification & excuses for Aaron from the media. Little willingness to call him out. How many QB's could ignore the play call from the sideline and the media side w/the player?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The thing is, I find when dysfunctional people are successful they are complicated. When they aren't, they are acting like a back end of a mule.

Bypassing the curse filter in the main forums, which Talk Sports is a part of, is not allowed. That being said, not sure that posting it really triggers the filter, but next time while in Talk Sports and the main forums, try using something else instead. I edited out the word, warning can be issued for not following the rules for the forums not OT/OTD.
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I don't know if Aaron is a jerk or not. I will not judge someone by there family situation as that can be complicated and not something I believe is mine or anyones business.

I never thought Rodgers was overrated as he is a very talented QB. I thought his teams underachieved though. For as much talent as he has, he has only won 1 super bowl. I think coaching was subpar, but we will see going forward, it could be also a poor gm.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I don't know if Aaron is a jerk or not. I will not judge someone by there family situation as that can be complicated and not something I believe is mine or anyones business.

I never thought Rodgers was overrated as he is a very talented QB. I thought his teams underachieved though. For as much talent as he has, he has only won 1 super bowl. I think coaching was subpar, but we will see going forward, it could be also a poor gm.
I agree with you to a point. I believe he is an elite QB but no better than any other so called elite QB. There are those that have him tops all time. I simply think that is ridiculous and that's why I think he is over rated.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you to a point. I believe he is an elite QB but no better than any other so called elite QB. There are those that have him tops all time. I simply think that is ridiculous and that's why I think he is over rated.
Same here. Brady, Manning, Elway, Montana & Brees I all have above Rodgers easily.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

The media has always been pro Rodgers. If he yelled at a player on the sidelines it was “leadership.” If he called out a player in public it was because he was “holding them accountable.” If another quarterback did that it divisive behavior or unprofessional. It’s always been that way with Rodgers.

Imagine if Cutler was rumored to have done any of these things for example.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #15
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
The media has always been pro Rodgers. If he yelled at a player on the sidelines it was “leadership.” If he called out a player in public it was because he was “holding them accountable.” If another quarterback did that it divisive behavior or unprofessional. It’s always been that way with Rodgers.

Imagine if Cutler was rumored to have done any of these things for example.
I agree with that point of view that the sports world loves him. He is not the only one. The garbage that Baker Mayfield pulled with his former HC. I think QB's in general get away with this a lot more than others.
In regards to Cutler people complained he lacked leadership because he would not call out players.

I still think Rodgers is a top level QB. I will not compare him with everyone because some QB's played under different rule set. Like I think Steve Young is vastly underrated. A lot of people don't understand that Young had a bunch of years with a QB rating over 100 when no one else was doing it.

I think Rodgers is a top flight QB that should have more championships. I have never liked the Packers so I am okay with him not winning anymore.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #16
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with that point of view that the sports world loves him. He is not the only one. The garbage that Baker Mayfield pulled with his former HC. I think QB's in general get away with this a lot more than others.
In regards to Cutler people complained he lacked leadership because he would not call out players.

I still think Rodgers is a top level QB. I will not compare him with everyone because some QB's played under different rule set. Like I think Steve Young is vastly underrated. A lot of people don't understand that Young had a bunch of years with a QB rating over 100 when no one else was doing it.

I think Rodgers is a top flight QB that should have more championships. I have never liked the Packers so I am okay with him not winning anymore.
I agree with everything you said above but the bolded statement. The problem with his leadership is he talked down to everyone and considered everyone else to be idiots. That obviously didn’t win over too many teammates. He did call out his teammates (and coaches) routinely and it got him in trouble on more than one occasion. This example being the most famous: https://nypost.com/2012/09/14/watch-...nsive-lineman/

Last edited by ihatenames; 12-12-2018 at 12:37 AM.
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Absolutely. You didn't have much of a drop off from Montana to Young. Joe will get more credit because he has 4 rings. The problem Young had was he was constantly facing another juggernaut.

When Young came in for an injured Montana in the 1990 Championship game he drove them right up with field. First and 10 from the Giants 40 with around 2 and a half minutes left. The game is all but over. Craig would fumble and Giants would recover. If Craig doesn't fumble the 49ers win 3 in a row and young gets his first as a starting QB.

Both Young and Montana had to get past a tough Cowboys team to go to a Super Bowl. But there was no one standing in the 49ers way for their other 3. Steve Young's 49ers had to keep battling an equally talented Cowboys team or he would have had around 4 Super Bowls too. There were really no other teams there to challenge them.

I know players and teams can only play their opponent, they don't get a choice. But people still have to understand that not all roads to victory are equal.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Absolutely. You didn't have much of a drop off from Montana to Young. Joe will get more credit because he has 4 rings. The problem Young had was he was constantly facing another juggernaut.

When Young came in for an injured Montana in the 1990 Championship game he drove them right up with field. First and 10 from the Giants 40 with around 2 and a half minutes left. The game is all but over. Craig would fumble and Giants would recover. If Craig doesn't fumble the 49ers win 3 in a row and young gets his first as a starting QB.

Both Young and Montana had to get past a tough Cowboys team to go to a Super Bowl. But there was no one standing in the 49ers way for their other 3. Steve Young's 49ers had to keep battling an equally talented Cowboys team or he would have had around 4 Super Bowls too. There were really no other teams there to challenge them.

I know players and teams can only play their opponent, they don't get a choice. But people still have to understand that not all roads to victory are equal.
The 49ers later couldn't get past the Packers either.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #19
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 49ers later couldn't get past the Packers either.
The Packers were starting to become a powerhouse. When the 49ers lost the divisional round to the Packers, that was an upset bordering on a fluke. The Packers had a fumble return for a TD and various other forms of good fortune.

I'm a Cowboys fan and earlier in the regular season the 49ers came to Dallas and just dominated them with Elvis Grbac at QB no less. I had no confidence in the Cowboys beating that 49ers team. When GB pulled off the upset I knew for a fact the Cowboys would win another SB. They beat that GB team every time they faced them. Including '96.