Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 7 > FHM 7 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 7 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM7 dynasties here!

Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
G-Force
All Star Starter

The Alltime Hockey Association

This is going to take some legwork, but it's always been my favorite thing to do with sports games so I'm going to attempt to do it here.

The Alltime Hockey Association will begin as a 12 team league. Two six-team conferences.

Regrettably, the game won't let me import players for an initial draft. So the inaugural draft will have to be handled outside the game, for which I have devised an excel spreadsheet.

Once you import players they DO become eligible for the next entry draft, so in subsequent years the draft will be handled in-game.

The overall AHL player pool boasts 1000 players. Utilizing hockey-reference.com's Point Shares, the list includes the top 200 left wings, centers and right wings, the top 300 defensemen and the top 100 goalies.

A random number generator was used to list the players randomly at each position. The first 100 at each of the forward slots, the first 150 defensemen and the first 50 goalies listed will be eligible for the inaugural draft. The rest of the players will enter via subsequent entry drafts. So, while most of the very top players will be in the league from the very beginning, some terrific talent won't enter the league right at the start.

As for the initial draft, the inaugural player pool was ranked 1 to 500 based on win shares. Teams 1 through 16 will pick using a serpentine system. A random number will come out between 1 and 260 (just a little higher than Wayne Gretzky's alltime leading 251 point shares). When it's a team's turn to pick, if the random number is less than the point shares of the highest available player, he's the pick. If not, another number is selected for the next player and so on.

While not perfect, it was the best way to do this given the game's limitations regarding the inaugural draft pool.

Each team will select 6 players at each forward position, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies for a 30 player roster.

As goalies tend to be high in point shares, my only limitation on the draft was that a team couldn't pick more than 2 goalies in the first 10 picks.

This will take a little time to set up, so I'll post some nuggets here and there while I'm going about it. I loved doing this kind of setup with OOTP, where I've done a few popular dynasties. So hopefully this will end up generating a bit of interest and prove a fun idea.

GH

Check out my Dynasty Threads

The Alltime Baseball League
Austin James: Playing For His Life (a Vietnam-era baseball drama)
The Pastime Boxing Association

Last edited by G-Force; 01-16-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: league size fixed
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
G-Force
All Star Starter

The inaugural 12 cities to kickoff the Alltime Hockey Association have been decided. The plan is for the league to add four teams every 3 years. "Bidding" (via the same Random number system I mentioned for the draft) by cities yielded an interesting mix.

Eastern Conference

New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Montreal

Western Conference

Los Angeles
Houston
San Diego
Seattle
Portland
Calgary

The two most likely cities on the expansion docket will be Boston and Toronto. But that's three years away.

Haven't decided on team names yet. I'll have to look through logos and see what I like.

For now, it's on to the inaugural draft. The draft will be held in serpentine fashion...the draft order for Round 1 is as follows:

Calgary
Philadelphia
Portland
Charlotte
San Diego
New York
Chicago
Houston
Seattle
Los Angeles
Indianapolis
Montreal

GH

Old 01-19-2020, 03:05 AM   #3
Mark L
Minors (Single A)

Very interesting. This is the kind of thing that I like. Players from all eras competing against each other.

I was in an all time greats league about 15 years ago in which 24 different human owners bid on players (about 20 put up at a time) from a pool of 552 players.It was a different (simpler and inferior) game obviously and all played online. We each had a certain amount of money to spend. Anyway, in a 24 team league my forwards included Rocket Richard Esposito, Bobby Hull, Dionne, Selanne, Mogilny, Simmer, Frank Nighbor, Dit Clapper, Newsy Lalonde, Aurel Joliat. This was before guys like Crosby and Ovechkin had ever played an NHL game. My defense and goaltending were quite below average but it didn't matter. My team was so strong that a lot of owners quit after one season. So the league was abondoned. What could have been

Still trying to figure out what my "ultimate" will look like. But I'll be watching yours.
Do all your players start at 18 years old or what?

Last edited by Mark L; 01-19-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Mark L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
G-Force
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Very interesting. This is the kind of thing that I like. Players from all eras competing against each other.

I was in an all time greats league about 15 years ago in which 24 different human owners bid on players (about 20 put up at a time) from a pool of 552 players.It was a different (simpler and inferior) game obviously and all played online. We each had a certain amount of money to spend. Anyway, in a 24 team league my forwards included Rocket Richard Esposito, Bobby Hull, Dionne, Selanne, Mogilny, Simmer, Frank Nighbor, Dit Clapper, Newsy Lalonde, Aurel Joliat. This was before guys like Crosby and Ovechkin had ever played an NHL game. My defense and goaltending were quite below average but it didn't matter. My team was so strong that a lot of owners quit after one season. So the league was abondoned. What could have been

Still trying to figure out what my "ultimate" will look like. But I'll be watching yours.
Do all your players start at 18 years old or what?

Pretty cool to have had that back then...that sounds like a formidable attack!

I've got 18 rounds of the draft done (out of 30). I'm importing everyone based on their 3rd import year, so pretty much everyone is 18 and 19. I'm not familiar with the development engine well enough to know for sure whether that's best or not, but it seemed a lot of guys were really low when imported in their first year (at 16 or 17 years old) and I didn't want to leave THAT much of their development to chance. This way seems to be better. Your top studs are starting at 2.5, 3, some even higher.

We'll see, but I'm looking forward to doing it. I'm trusting the game here rather than adjusting ratings. When I created this stuff for OOTP, I developed formulas for rating players because I know baseball like the back of my hand. I love hockey but I can't analyze players and ratings the same way as I do with baseball. So the game has full control here.

Thanks for following along!

GH

Last edited by G-Force; 01-19-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
G-Force
All Star Starter

First Round

Calgary - Wayne Gretzky, C
Philadelphia - Gordie Howe, RW
Portland - Jaromir Jagr, RW
Charlotte - Martin Brodeur, G
San Diego - Patrick Roy, G
New York - Tony Esposito, G
Chicago - Al MacInnis, D
Houston - Teemu Selanne, RW
Seattle - Glenn Hall, G
Los Angeles - Larry Robinson, D
Indianapolis - Curtis Joseph, G
Montreal - Phil Esposito, C

I won't do each round. I'll post each team's full rosters once I have everyone entered now that the draft is done.

GH

Old 01-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
G-Force
All Star Starter

Alltime Hockey Association Preview

Western Conference

Houston Cottonmouths

The Cottonmouths are confident that top pick Teemu Selanne (8th overall) will develop into one of the game's top players. Interestingly, second-round pick John Van Biesbrouck is currently third goalie on the depth chart behind Chris Osgood and Felix Potvin. Doug Wilson and Brent Seabrook will anchor the defense but a lot of Houston's fortunes will depend on their currently listed top line comprised of Tom Lysiak (21st round), Clark Gillies (23rd) and Ryan O'Reilly (25th) and how fast Selanne, Daniel Alfredsson and Peter Stastny develop.

Last edited by G-Force; 01-20-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
G-Force
All Star Starter

Western Conference

Los Angeles Royals

Los Angeles is the city of glitz and pizazz, so it came as a shock when the Royals used their first four picks on three defenders and a goaltender. But perhaps they knew something, because when the 5th round came around and they were able to snag sharpshooter Mike Bossy, and then nab Theo Fleury two rounds later, the Royals looked like geniuses. Larry Robinson, Gary Suter and Rob Blake will lead a defensive corps in front Dominik Hasek. The Royals are deep at right wing with Cam Neely and Lanny McDonald joining Bossy and Fleury, and may experiment with moving guys around if all play to potential.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
G-Force
All Star Starter

Western Conference

Portland Pioneers

Many pundits believe Portland had the best draft in the league, largely because of balance. Many teams seemed to focus either offensively or defensively, but Portland landed Jaromir Jagr and Pierre Turgeon to lead the attack, Brian Leetch and Shea Weber on defense and a solid goalie tandem of Mike Vernon and Tiny Thompson. Dion Phaneuf will likely hold a top-pair defensive slot to start, but is expected to eventually be supplanted by Weber.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #9
G-Force
All Star Starter

Western Conference

San Diego Condors

The Condors have a lot of potential, but it appears they could struggle out of the AHA gates, with only two players above 2.5 stars to open. But grabbing Patrick Roy with the #5 overall pick and taking Ron Francis, who will captain the squad, in the second round, gives some solid leadership. Sergei Federov's development will be important to the Condors' success, as the team is very defense-focused, with Francis the only forward taken in the first eight rounds.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
G-Force
All Star Starter

Western Conference

Seattle Storm

The oddest draft of the AHA comes from Seattle, which selected a goalie first in Glenn Hall, but didn't choose a defenseman until round 11 (Randy Carlyle, who currently slots as a reserve, though with 4* potential). Steven Stamkos, Marcel Dionne, Guy LaFleur and Henri Richard certainly set up a potent attack. But Hall, who should develop into a stellar netminder, could face a ton of shots and need to be in peak form for the Storm to contend.

Last edited by G-Force; 01-22-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
G-Force
All Star Starter

Western Conference

Calgary Stampede

Wayne Gretzky. That's where it all begins for the Calgary Stampede, who drew the #1 pick in the inaugural AHA draft, then went and did exactly what everyone expected they would. When they got to pick again at 24, they went with goalie Sean Burke. Perception is Anze Kopitar was a steal in round 7, but the Stampede open with two 5-star players and nobody else higher than 2.5. Which means their first season likely will go as well as Gretzky and Kopitar can carry them.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

Indianapolis Engines

Well, if Indianapolis is looking to win a championship, they at least snagged three old dynasty Islanders - Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier and Brent Sutter - to try and get them there. While they have no players starting at above 3 stars, they have an abundance at 2, 2.5 and 3, which seems like it should present a depth advantage over most other AHA teams to begin with. Potvin and Doug Bodger are among the strongest top D pairs in the league. If Olaf Kolzig performs as expected, the Engines could be the class of the East.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

Chicago Hitmen

In a league setup such as this, getting the right "top guy" is significant. It's hard to argue Chicago went wrong there, as Bobby Orr will be the anchor of the franchise. But beyond Orr, the Hitmen are really somewhat unexciting, full of good, solid players like Alexei Yashin and Michel Goulet but clearly leaning on Orr to carry the torch. Is there enough there to get it done? Time will tell.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #14
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

Charlotte Pilots

Charlotte led off its draft with Bobby Hull and Martin Brodeur, and then went for stability. Drew Doughty is being highly touted despite being taken only in the seventh round, while Zdeno Chara, taken in round 3, is expected to quickly develop to join him as the top pair. There's a ton of potential here: Ziggy Palffy, Danny Gare, Alexei Zhitnik and Jason Spezza are more pieces of a well balanced squad.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #15
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

Montreal Magnificents

A name like the Magnificents certainly sets a lofty standard, and Montreal probably doesn't reach that right out of the game, lacking anyone at more than 3 stars as the AHA begins. But, with all respect to Jose Theodore, the eventual goalie tandem of Jonathan Quick and Ed Belfour is going to pose a problem for opposing scorers. Montreal is banking on development: Phil Esposito and Maurice "Rocket" Richard's development to their potentials will have a big say in how quick Montreal can contend.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

New York Empire

Yzerman, Toews and LaFontaine can go toe-to-toe with any threesome of centers in the AHA. But there's a question how good New York's defense is going to be. Kenny Jonsson and James Patrick are fine defensemen, but are they up for the task of being the top pair in a league this deep? Ken Dryden and Tony Esposito are a solid tandem in goal.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #17
G-Force
All Star Starter

Eastern Conference

Philadelphia Freedom

The top line of Howe, Malkin and Heatley could be one of the most fun in the AHA and the Niedermayer/Markov tandem could well develop into one of the league's best. As is the case with many of these teams, the rate of development to potential will have a lot to say about how things shake out in this inaugural season.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
G-Force
All Star Starter

On a temporary hold here while the tech guys figure out a problem with the playoff setup not working right.

GH

Old 02-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
G-Force
All Star Starter

Ready to go!

Here are the coaches to begin the AHA

Eastern Conference

New York - Mike Babcock
Chicago - Claude Julien
Philadelphia - Barry Trotz
Charlotte - Dick Irvin
Indianapolis - John Tortorella
Montreal - Bryan Murray

Western Conference

Los Angeles - Peter Laviolette
Houston - Alain Vigneault
San Diego - Mike Keenan
Seattle - Bruce Boudreau
Portland - Paul Maurice
Calgary - Scotty Bowman

Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
G-Force
All Star Starter

The first month of the Alltime Hockey Association is in the books!

I finished simming the first month right before I went to work, so here are the standings and leaders. I'll write up the monthly "AHA Shootout" probably tomorrow.

I want this to be a fun, easy follow, and I think the monthly format then day-by-day for the postseason is the best means by which to do that. Seasons won't take long so loads of new talent will appear relatively quickly.

Hope you enjoy!

GH