Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

For those who play their games

Has anyone ever had a catcher throw out base stealers at even a below-average rate before?

I thought it seemed off so in commissioner mode I set my catcher's arm to 128/80 just to see what would happen. Since that switch, in 20 games played, my catcher is 0-27 in runners thrown out attempts. Even with the best arm ever created I still have not seen him throw a single runner out this season. Last season in about 50 games, with a 70/80 arm, I witnessed him throw only 3 runners out during those played games.

What am I doing wrong?

I have simmed roughly half my games and in those he has thrown out 12/21. I don't think it can be anything I'm doing, can it? I don't control the catcher. I don't do any funky shifting or anything. I basically play a standard defense 90% of the time. If someone like Gallo is at the plate I may shift, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by Findest2001; 08-14-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I've seen differences. I'm fairly certain that throwing to first to keep the guy close has both realistic effects -- it makes it harder to steal a base and it distracts the pitcher slightly from dealing with the batter.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
Has anyone ever had a catcher throw out base stealers at even a below-average rate before?

I thought it seemed off so in commissioner mode I set my catcher's arm to 128/80 just to see what would happen. Since that switch, in 20 games played, my catcher is 0-27 in runners thrown out attempts. Even with the best arm ever created I still have not seen him throw a single runner out this season. Last season in about 50 games, with a 70/80 arm, I witnessed him throw only 3 runners out during those played games.

What am I doing wrong?

I have simmed roughly half my games and in those he has thrown out 12/21. I don't think it can be anything I'm doing, can it? I don't control the catcher. I don't do any funky shifting or anything. I basically play a standard defense 90% of the time. If someone like Gallo is at the plate I may shift, but that's the exception, not the rule.

I play out all my games in 2 different leagues, one is historical now in 1992 and the other one is fictional with 1980 settings.
I'm not seeing what you're seeing. My catcher in historical has 63/71 ratings and threw out 32% of runners so far this season (he's 36% career wise with me since starting in 1991) My catcher in the fictional is bad (56/26) and has thrown out 33.3% so far.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I'm also not doing anything special so I'm not sure what to tell you other than I am not seeing what you're seeing and I play out 100% of my games.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
Reed
All Star Starter

A lot of it, maybe most, has to do with your pitcher’s hold rating. Do you hold the runner, throw over 2-4 times to first, pitch out sometimes? I know some of the great base stealers say they steal off the pitcher more so than the catcher.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
A lot of it, maybe most, has to do with your pitcher’s hold rating. Do you hold the runner, throw over 2-4 times to first, pitch out sometimes? I know some of the great base stealers say they steal off the pitcher more so than the catcher.

This. I don’t personally ever worry about the opposing catcher, and on the flip side, if I have a pitcher with a poor hold rating, I know it could be a long day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Pretty sure this was confirmed in a study a few versions back: the catcher's arm had little to do with SB%, and the SB% was more affected by the pitcher's hold rating.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

http://ootp.biz/lgreports/teams/team_100.html

My catchers are at 16.7% and 20%, which is not very good by active catcher stats
https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...c_active.shtml

I rarely ever throw to first though. I do pitch out often though if that matters.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Pretty sure this was confirmed in a study a few versions back: the catcher's arm had little to do with SB%, and the SB% was more affected by the pitcher's hold rating.

If this is true then what is the point of the catcher's arm rating?
Old 08-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

perhaps we could get some clarification on this?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I find myself curious about how much of this is about in-game management (and what the factors are) as although I play out all the games for my team in my fictional save, I only control substitutions in game and my primary catcher, who is admittedly a 3-time Gold Glover but with only an above average arm, routinely approaches a 50% caught stealing rate.
And my pitching staff includes a few pitchers who are very good at holding runners but also others who are pretty darn bad in this area.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I find myself curious about how much of this is about in-game management (and what the factors are) as although I play out all the games for my team in my fictional save, I only control substitutions in game and my primary catcher, who is admittedly a 3-time Gold Glover but with only an above average arm, routinely approaches a 50% caught stealing rate.
And my pitching staff includes a few pitchers who are very good at holding runners but also others who are pretty darn bad in this area.

I basically only substitute. I'm not a micromanager by any stretch of the imagination. When hitting I take a strike then swing away after. When pitching I "1" pitch unless I feel a "2 - pitch around" might be necessary (which admittedly is less than once a game, I almost never do this). I honestly never checked my pitcher's hold ratings before so it could be the problem, but my guess would be similar to yours. I.e. some good, some not so good. I'll check next time I play.

EDIT: I Checked and my starters (who are the main victims) have hold ratings of 57, 56, 52, 51, and 19. But the steals are evenly spread across all 5 pitchers so this doesn't seem to be the problem. Even so, my catcher should at least be able to throw out a SINGLE runner. I played 2 more games since and runners got 2 more steals on me without a runner thrown out. I went back and checked the ratings of some of the runners who stole to see if I'm just unlucky and it's possibly an aberration, with no success. They ranged anywhere from BA 75 SPD 69 all the way down to BA 34, SPD 47. Again, my catcher has a 128 out of 80 arm. Literally off the charts.

My bullpen is even better ratings > 74, 69, 56, 51, 42, 69, 83. Those are the hold ratings.

Last edited by Findest2001; 08-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
slugga27
All Star Starter

For those who play their games

I just realized this thread was started by the same individual who started the lengthy “Something is wrong with Play Game” thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar....php?p=4484257

I’ll show myself out.

Last edited by slugga27; 08-14-2019 at 07:57 PM.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
I just realized this thread was started by the same individual who started the lengthy “Something is wrong with Play Game” thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar....php?p=4484257

I’ll show myself out.

Are you a child? What do you gain from digging up threads several months old? Im curious. Please enlighten me to your "never had issues" ways. I so badly want to go on the internet message board of a game and harass people with the efficacy of your wisdom.

I am obviously being sarcastic because you're on ignore now. You've shown what type of person you are over and over. If you truly think what i know you do about me I recommend you do the same for me as any rational adult would and stop being a child. If you don't ignore and continue harassing me you are only proving that you are, in fact, a troll. Move on.

When I have a problem I ask a question. DEAL WITH IT OR DON'T RESPOND. Your input isn't wanted.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #14
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

He does make a valid point....so youve never won a played game and never thrown a runner out huh

Anything else?
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #15
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Tech support finally helped me figure out that issue. I wasnt "imagining" anything or making something up. It was a corrupted import file. I started a new non import save and the issue was resolved.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Tech support finally helped me figure out that issue. I wasnt "imagining" anything or making something up. It was a corrupted import file. I started a new non import save and the issue was resolved.
I doubt it.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #17
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I doubt it.
I understand your skepticism based upon that previous exchange (which I also participated in), but is this helpful? Or necessary?
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If this is true then what is the point of the catcher's arm rating?
I think it's a smaller component of SB%. Still infinitely more valuable than the Sac Bunt rating.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
gilesj2
Bat Boy

***press 4, Hold Runners***
gilesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I doubt it.
I don't care what you doubt or don't. Troll someone else.