Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #4261
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post

if you add up the 'last 7' price on the five special edition cards I have on my roster and compare that to how much I paid overall for those five collections, I think I come out about 120,000 points ahead....

worst case you don't need the reward and you just make a profit selling it, but I'll have a heck of a time finding better replacements for them on my roster
I think I made close to 100k on the Twins collection alone. That requires a huge PP bank/time commitment, but there are so many low hanging fruits out there. Plus you get a ton of players for tournaments when they eventually arrive, which is a real bonus that people don't even count right now.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #4262
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post

if you add up the 'last 7' price on the five special edition cards I have on my roster and compare that to how much I paid overall for those five collections, I think I come out about 120,000 points ahead....

worst case you don't need the reward and you just make a profit selling it, but I'll have a heck of a time finding better replacements for them on my roster

I sold a few Dykstras early on. Now, I am buying them up cheaper than I sold them for. I should never have sold them in the first place.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #4263
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

When trying to complete a mission, only pay more than the going rate if the card is the last one you need to complete the mission. Otherwise, you are better off waiting.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #4264
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
When trying to complete a mission, only pay more than the going rate if the card is the last one you need to complete the mission. Otherwise, you are better off waiting.
Well, that depends. Do I want to overpay by a couple dozen/hundred PP and continue to scour the auction house, or do I want to buy it and move on with my life?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #4265
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Kind of hoping the Cowboys and/or Vikings get relegated this year. The Cowboys especially are starved for PP and have no players left I want to sell. PP generation in Perfect is slow. I'm not tanking though, just in case the PT police are reading.

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-13-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #4266
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Kind of hoping the Cowboys and/or Vikings get relegated this year. The Cowboys especially are starved for PP and have no players left I want to sell. PP generation in Perfect is slow. I'm not tanking though, just in case the PT police are reading.
Relegation really is a blessing, if only to let you know that your team is still capable of winning. Playing the best of the best every week can really obscure that fact.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #4267
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
Relegation really is a blessing, if only to let you know that your team is still capable of winning. Playing the best of the best every week can really obscure that fact.

that's the truth.... spent 6 seasons in Diamond and my worst year was 90 wins.... last year in Perfect I started out 0-7 before I got my first win and ended up 82-80 (and tied for first, so division placement is key ).... this season I started out 0-5 before picking up a win... think I was 4-14 last night when I decided to log out and hope they would play better without me watching
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #4268
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

Kaneohe might be joining you. Hitting and pitching have both fallen apart this season. Where to upgrade when your whole team stinks?

Old 08-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #4269
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Kaneohe might be joining you. Hitting and pitching have both fallen apart this season. Where to upgrade when your whole team stinks?
In both cases I'm trying to upgrade SPs but not able. Cowboys don't have the PP. Vikings don't have the right players showing up on the AH (at realistic prices).
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #4270
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

(Heretofore) Secret Player Evaluation Method

I think I've hinted at this before, but I thought I'd be completely transparent, given the recent spate of conversation about player acquisition. The criteria are listed with the value I place on them. It's pretty simple, just add them up and you get your score for the player. In Jeopardy fashion, the answers are in the form of question.

1. Is the player Willie Mays? (300)
2. Did I see him on Kiner's Korner? (10 per show)
3. Did I see him between the ages of 8 and 14? (100)
4. Was the player on my Strat-O-Matic play by mail team? (50)
5. Did I see him live while sitting in free seats by saving coupons from Borden's milk cartons? (50)
6. Is the player Pete Rose? (subtract 500)

Just curious, does anyone else have a "no-repeater" rule with their rosters (except Willie Mays)?
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #4271
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
I think I've hinted at this before, but I thought I'd be completely transparent, given the recent spate of conversation about player acquisition. The criteria are listed with the value I place on them. It's pretty simple, just add them up and you get your score for the player. In Jeopardy fashion, the answers are in the form of question.

1. Is the player Willie Mays? (300)
2. Did I see him on Kiner's Korner? (10 per show)
3. Did I see him between the ages of 8 and 14? (100)
4. Was the player on my Strat-O-Matic play by mail team? (50)
5. Did I see him live while sitting in free seats by saving coupons from Borden's milk cartons? (50)
6. Is the player Pete Rose? (subtract 500)

Just curious, does anyone else have a "no-repeater" rule with their rosters (except Willie Mays)?
I tried, but there are just so few good players that I tend to stick with a few old reliables at times.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #4272
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
In both cases I'm trying to upgrade SPs but not able. Cowboys don't have the PP. Vikings don't have the right players showing up on the AH (at realistic prices).
Yup. The right ones rarely show up. When they do, yeah, they are overpriced.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #4273
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Been meaning to ask...

Has anyone figured out a way to get the AI from pulling starters early? I get tired of having pitchers with high stamina, and the slider on slow hook, getting pulled with 100 or so pitches, no matter how well they're doing. Hell, even my Cy Young, with 99 stamina, has only completed 21.8% of his games over 7+ seasons. It stinks when you have a pitcher shutting out the other team, and end up with 20 points for a shared shutout, or worse yet, the AI brings in a reliever to blow the game.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #4274
allenciox
All Star Reserve

I have my slider for hooking SPs set all the way to the right for each of my teams. It might be a bad idea but it's worked out ok for my teams --- and they are much more likely to get achievements.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #4275
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
I have such a rule....well strictly speaking I don't want to duplicate cards, which means I allow myself to use different cards for the same player. For example I am using 89 OVR Boggs and 87 OVR Boggs on two different teams, since they're not technically the same player! I know which seems crazy, since I have 6 different teams! However, the themes of my teams allow me to have different rosters without too much heartburn.

My teams:
  • Washington: LH batters, LH starters: this is my collections team so I end up with a lot of collection rewards and live players
  • Leesburg: packs team, so I end up with 90% live players and I play whoever I get!
  • Annandale: defense first. When I have the choice of cards for a player, pick the one that's stronger on defense. For instance, this team plays the 89 OVR Wade Boggs instead of the 87 OVR one. For pitchers I want to emphasize MOV and CON over STU.
  • Washingtoon: My Senators theme team. Only allows players who appeared on the Washington Senators, so the roster is pretty restricted. I take and play whatever I can field! As it turns out a LOT of good players played on the Senators, so my main issue now is saving up the PP to buy them.
  • Motown: players from the Motown era, which I defined as 1959-1988. Hitting is more important than defense, and the ballpark is what I term a "batters paradise." I'm also trying to get the players I grew up rooting for on this team too. I want pitchers with relatively even ratings (equal-ish STU-MOV-CON).
  • Venusville: smallball team: high CON-GAP-AVOID K. Low POW. Defense is also important here (but unlike on Annandale, I don't want to sacrifice hitting for defense). HR is decreased in this park so I try to use pitchers with high STU - low MOV - high CON.
It's been a fun challenge to pick players so as to not get an overlap. But when a player can appear on multiple teams, I tend to let him end up on the most restricted team. For example, Motown gets first dibs over Venusville and Annandale (but to be honest, there isn't a lot of overlap, since Motown tries to get good hitters with high power, Venusville tries to get good hitters with low power, and Annandale goes for defensive wizards). So it's usually pretty obvious where a player will end up. For instance, in CF, I have:

Trout - Suzuki - Mays - Piersall - Maddux - Dykstra

So you can see it's possible to have different players without handicapping yourself too much!

Having the teams set up this way keeps me interested and active in managing them, since I'm always trying to figure out where any prospects should end up. Plus I love doing the research on players and thinking about who fits where.

Last edited by Charlatan; 08-13-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #4276
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
I have such a rule....well strictly speaking I don't want to duplicate cards, which means I allow myself to use different cards for the same player. For example I am using 89 OVR Boggs and 87 OVR Boggs on two different teams, since they're not technically the same player! I know which seems crazy, since I have 6 different teams! However, the themes of my teams allow me to have different rosters without too much heartburn.

My teams:
  • Washington: LH batters, LH starters: this is my collections team so I end up with a lot of collection rewards and live players
  • Leesburg: packs team, so I end up with 90% live players and I play whoever I get!
  • Annandale: defense first. When I have the choice of cards for a player, pick the one that's stronger on defense. For instance, this team plays the 89 OVR Wade Boggs instead of the 87 OVR one. For pitchers I want to emphasize MOV and CON over STU.
  • Washingtoon: My Senators theme team. Only allows players who appeared on the Washington Senators, so the roster is pretty restricted. I take and play whatever I can field! As it turns out a LOT of good players played on the Senators, so my main issue now is saving up the PP to buy them.
  • Motown: players from the Motown era, which I defined as 1959-1988. Hitting is more important than defense, and the ballpark is what I term a "batters paradise." I'm also trying to get the players I grew up rooting for on this team too. I want pitchers with relatively even ratings (equal-ish STU-MOV-CON).
  • Venusville: smallball team: high CON-GAP-AVOID K. Low POW. Defense is also important here (but unlike on Annandale, I don't want to sacrifice hitting for defense). HR is decreased in this park so I try to use pitchers with high STU - low MOV - high CON.
It's been a fun challenge to pick players so as to not get an overlap. But when a player can appear on multiple teams, I tend to let him end up on the most restricted team. For example, Motown gets first dibs over Venusville and Annandale (but to be honest, there isn't a lot of overlap, since Motown tries to get good hitters with high power, Venusville tries to get good hitters with low power, and Annandale goes for defensive wizards). So it's usually pretty obvious where a player will end up. For instance, in CF, I have:

Trout - Suzuki - Mays - Piersall - Maddux - Dykstra

So you can see it's possible to have different players without handicapping yourself too much!

Having the teams set up this way keeps me interested and active in managing them, since I'm always trying to figure out where any prospects should end up. Plus I love doing the research on players and thinking about who fits where.
You've inspired me to give it a go with possibly no duplicates. That may mean some good players hit the AH. Keep an eye out.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #4277
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Has anyone figured out a way to get the AI from pulling starters early? I get tired of having pitchers with high stamina, and the slider on slow hook, getting pulled with 100 or so pitches, no matter how well they're doing. Hell, even my Cy Young, with 99 stamina, has only completed 21.8% of his games over 7+ seasons. It stinks when you have a pitcher shutting out the other team, and end up with 20 points for a shared shutout, or worse yet, the AI brings in a reliever to blow the game.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not but having fewer relievers on your roster altogether makes the AI less likely to pull starters. I have a 10-man pitching staff. 5-man rotation, 5-man bullpen. They are all starters for maximum stamina, but after maybe 40 games into the season the bullpen is shot so starters go 9 innings maybe 40% of the time, sometimes more. I regularly get 9 inning achievements for shutouts and such (not combined).
Old 08-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #4278
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

I'll give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
I'm not sure if this helps you or not but having fewer relievers on your roster altogether makes the AI less likely to pull starters. I have a 10-man pitching staff. 5-man rotation, 5-man bullpen. They are all starters for maximum stamina, but after maybe 40 games into the season the bullpen is shot so starters go 9 innings maybe 40% of the time, sometimes more. I regularly get 9 inning achievements for shutouts and such (not combined).

Thanks. To you and the others that weighed in. I'm also gonna try moving that score underline at the top of the strategy screen. I've left it on all scores, but I'm gonna move it to see if it has any effect.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #4279
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Janesville Grabs Top Spot in OL G354

The Onyx went 9-3 to take the lead. Other hot teams included Pablo, 7-2, Texas, 10-5, and Port Ruppert, 9-4.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #4280
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Bulldogs Pound Out Lead in OL S286

Antique took an 11-3 bite out of the competition to grab first place. Las Vegas, 13-6, Corinth, 8-3, Daytona Beach, 10-6, Rockin', also 10-6 had big days.
Attached Images
Image Image