Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #41
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I am not sure why? If you and I own the game and you are tired of the PT system, why can't you sell your login to me for $10? Just asking not doing.
Did you read the Terms of Service? You don't own the game. You only license it and are allowed to use it within the Terms of Service.

"3. Use of OOTP 19
You agree only to use OOTP 19 or any part of it in a manner which is consistent with this Licence and you shall not:

(j) otherwise use, copy, transfer or distribute OOTP 19 or part of it except as expressly permitted by this Licence."

I can assure you that the ToS does not expressly permit the sale of your account to someone else for money.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #42
BPS
All Star Reserve

Continuing an idea above....

PT can involve 12-dimensional chess but, unfortunately, I can barely play 2-dimensional checkers. But moving ahead regardless of that:

If the number of HRs are set (mostly) at the start of a league, this means that--despite the fact that you have a huge number of big-name HR hitters in a league--HR suppression is no more important (on average) than in a second league with few big-name HR hitters (and the same level of HRs set to be hit in the league).

However, and this become interesting, because many of those playing PT believe (falsely!) that HR suppression is important we see more pitchers with high HR suppression ratings than really required by the stats engine. But, now that so many pitchers with relatively high movement appear in the league, it does become important to select your pitchers so that they also have high movement or you will find HRs will be shifted to your pitchers. That is, if the average movement in the league is 60 and you have a 50 movement pitcher, that pitcher will likely do okay as he might be in the 40th percentile of movement. But if the average movement in the league is now 65 (5 higher than previously because PTers think HR suppression is important), your 50 movement pitcher will likely have a bad experience as his movement rating might now be in the 25th percentile.So you too will need to dump your (relatively) poor movement pitcher...which raises the average movement which means higher movement becomes more important. So, pitcher profiles in the league might be based more on false beliefs than on what is objectively required by the stats engine.

That is, I too have Dennis Martinez with his 80 movement rating as a starter and he does okay.

But, if someone waved a magic wand and all movement ratings fell by 10 points the number of HRs would not increase and the distribution of HRs among pitchers would be unlikely to change.

Interestingly, as in life, false beliefs can shape the world and force people to make decisions they know are odd but they have no choice but to make if they want to succeed. People interacting in a group create their own social realities that only a fool would ignore!

But, moving to 2-dimensional checkers: now that pitchers are often selected because they have good movement (and, on average, perhaps relatively poorer stuff than otherwise would have been the case), it might be that certain types of hitters (say, those thrive in facing low stuff pitchers) might become more successful than otherwise they might be. This is might be a minor effect but it might also be a real effect too, and might have implications for what type of hitters someone wants on their team.
BPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #43
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
However, and this become interesting, because many of those playing PT believe (falsely!) that HR suppression is important we see more pitchers with high HR suppression ratings than really required by the stats engine. But, now that so many pitchers with relatively high movement appear in the league, it does become important to select your pitchers so that they also have high movement or you will find HRs will be shifted to your pitchers. That is, if the average movement in the league is 60 and you have a 50 movement pitcher, that pitcher will likely do okay as he might be in the 40th percentile of movement. But if the average movement in the league is now 65 (5 higher than previously because PTers think HR suppression is important), your 50 movement pitcher will likely have a bad experience as his movement rating might now be in the 25th percentile.So you too will need to dump your (relatively) poor movement pitcher...which raises the average movement which means higher movement becomes more important.

In Hearthstone, if the meta is filled with aggro decks, you need to counter them with stalls and taunts. If the meta shifts to control decks, you can be successful by dumping your slowdown deck and playing an aggro deck.

PT has a meta too, and right now it is full of high movement pitchers designed to counter the home run hitters. The successful teams will determine what counters a high movement pitcher and field their team accordingly.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #44
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
In Hearthstone, if the meta is filled with aggro decks, you need to counter them with stalls and taunts. If the meta shifts to control decks, you can be successful by dumping your slowdown deck and playing an aggro deck.

PT has a meta too, and right now it is full of high movement pitchers designed to counter the home run hitters. The successful teams will determine what counters a high movement pitcher and field their team accordingly.
In PT, high movement pitchers are NOT needed to counter high-HR hitters, but to counter high-movement pitchers on other teams (who threaten to shift HRs to your pitchers). What counters high HR hitters are other high HR hitters in the league that undercut the power of each of the HR hitters.

It is a strange world.

Last edited by BPS; 01-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #45
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
It is a strange world.
Rainbows and Unicorns.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #46
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In PT, high movement pitchers are NOT needed to counter high-HR hitters, but to counter high-movement pitchers on other teams (who threaten to shift HRs to your pitchers). What counters high HR hitters are other high HR hitters in the league that undercut the power of each of the HR hitters.

It is a strange world.

I had just recently realized this (to some extent), but didn't know how to express it well, so thanks for posting! I feel like I understand what's going on even better now.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #47
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
I had just recently realized this (to some extent), but didn't know how to express it well, so thanks for posting! I feel like I understand what's going on even better now.
The way to look at movement depends on what the immediate interest is. In a single pitcher-batter battle, high movement reduces the probability of a HR by the batter. But, taking a somewhat different perspective, no pitcher can reduce the number of HRs hit in the league. All movement does is shift HRs between different pitchers (and perhaps different teams). Both are valid ways to look at the impact of movement.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #48
Charlie Ricker
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I was doing the pack thing since the start and was whiffing big time. I'm determined to get myself out of the bronze prison I'm trapped in. Today is going to be an interesting day. I have a shot at the post season, but everything has to go right.
Same thing keeps happening to me -- feel like I've been bronzed more than George Hamilton. I'm not a fan of Perfect Team, either. Thinking I'm perfectly good just playing regular OOTP. Looking forward to OOTP20.

Charlie
Charlie Ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well, I decided to hang in there and keep plugging away. I've finally made the post season, but I'm down 0-1 in the league championship series. I have a mix of live cards and historical. Kind of scared that I might get promoted following this season. One thing I'm really hoping is for more super utility types to be added to the game. Mark DeRosa has been great for me. Would love to have a Tony Phillips. Oh and make it so I can set my everyday CF to RF when my RF needs a rest. I don't want to have to set up 7 day lineups.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #50
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:

It is a strange world.
Aha! Moment kicking in. That explains how my team led the league in HRs hit and HRs allowed despite not having particularly talented MOVEMENT pitchers.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #51
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Okay really stupid question time.

So, when I started this thread, I found out there is no way to deactivate a team. So be it.

My stupid question is, since I can't deactivate a team, does this mean that Perfect Team will continue to use hard drive space forever and ever? I have no clue how this stuff works. Last week I found the option to erase old pt files and it made me wonder what happens over time. Do the files only go on your hard drive if you open PT? Ugh, sorry for my ignorance.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #52
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Okay really stupid question time.

So, when I started this thread, I found out there is no way to deactivate a team. So be it.

My stupid question is, since I can't deactivate a team, does this mean that Perfect Team will continue to use hard drive space forever and ever? I have no clue how this stuff works. Last week I found the option to erase old pt files and it made me wonder what happens over time. Do the files only go on your hard drive if you open PT? Ugh, sorry for my ignorance.
I shouldn't download the files unless you open PT.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #53
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
I would enjoy the team building process, but I find it silly that players don't perform according to their real life abilities. I love OOTP historical/random debut. PT players don't perform like historical players. They perform like fictional players using real player names.
By definition, simulation is fictional. However, when I replayed one of my PT games in simulation mode using replay from the menu, the game log was still the same but the game replayed with fictional players in place of real ones, exact same game played otherwise.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote