Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

View Poll Results: Which 1960s card should be created?
1961 Topps 23 39.66%
1962 Topps 7 12.07%
1963 Fleer 3 5.17%
1964 Topps 8 13.79%
1967 Topps 3 5.17%
1968 Topps 9 15.52%
1969 Topps 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
BMW
Hall Of Famer

1960s Cards poll

This is a poll for the 1960s cards.

I plan on writing a guide to help people create their own cards, then publish an update for my 1989 Upper Deck design. My next card will be from the 1960s, so I'm offering up a poll, plus some a topic that will be in the help guide - that is: What card designs are possible?

I've attached shots of all the major cards from the 1960s. They include Topps 1960-1969 and the lone maverick, 1963 Fleer.

Ignoring the 1961 Topps All Star variant (which I like a lot, but wouldn't be a set template by itself), there are 11 possible sets to make. Only seven of them are really viable candidates, and I'll step through each one by one.

1960 Topps
This card has two major challenges. One is the font color. The alternating blank/red letters really cannot be done for all teams (they could be done for all known major league teams, but the goal for my templates right now is to have these work with fictional teams as well).

You could easily just use black text however, and I don't think that destroys the spirit of the card. The dual photos, however, won't really work.

FaceGen, as the name alludes to, creates faces. The left hand photo is meant to be a head-to-toe image. Hence, this is not a candidate for voting.
1961 Topps
This is a good, very simple design that can be done with the card templates. The cards have varying colors for the text boxes at the bottom of the card that do not correspond to team colors.

However, the cards could be generated with static colored boxes or some tricks to change the colors for a few cards.

Plus, the All Star Variant is pretty cool, and very achievable with the current OOTP functionality.
1962 Topps
This card would be very easy to reproduce. Really zero complications here.
1963 Topps
This card would be generally easy to reproduce, except for the second photo. I believe you could have two photos on the card, but at best, they'd look so similar, it would likely just make for a silly looking card. Therefore, I don't believe this is a great option and will exclude it from voting.
1963 Fleer
The Fleer card set that spurred a lawsuit that gave Topps a monopoly for nearly two additional decades. This card would be very easy to reproduce.
1964 Topps
This card would be easy to reproduce. The font at the top would probably be in a team color rather than a random color (i.e. the Reds really aren't associated with purple).
1965 Topps
A nice looking card, but because the flag has a very odd typeface layout, it won't be easy to reproduce. You could conceivably create a more angular flag, but tapering the text as such may never be possible. Hence, this is not a candidate for voting.
1966 Topps
This card seems very simple, but the banner with the team name is at a diagonal. Currently, we cannot do this with the text. Hence, this is not a candidate for voting.
1967 Topps
A very simple design, which would be easy to do. The autograph probably wouldn't be carried over.

The 1974 Topps template does have a faux autograph, but there are two differences here. One, the autograph is on the front, not the back, making it more visible. Two, the autograph was individually placed by a Topps editor in some white-space on the photo (i.e. you wouldn't want the autograph going over the player's face).

We really won't have that kind of control. So we can do this, just lose the autograph.

The card front has text that could obscure part of the player photo. However,the text is so far at the bottom of the card and the photo takes up such a large part of the front that I don't think you'd ever have it encroaching on the face.
1968 Topps
Would be very easy. The set does have about 4 different burlap textures. You may be able to achieve this with some tricks, but it's probably not that critical to get the feel for the card.

In fact, unless you actually had some 1968 Topps cards in your hands, you'd hardly notice that there was a difference from just Googling for images.
1969 Topps
Generally a pretty easy design. I think are even some tricks that can be used to get a black border around the text. The circular shield in the upper right portion of the card could cover part of the player could be a little dangerous. But I think its positioning would, at worst, obscure a small portion of the ballcap and should be acceptable.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BMW; 07-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
old timer
Hall Of Famer

I prefer the '64 card and then the '61 card after that. I like the team name being more prominent like on the '64 card and I would definitely prefer it having the proper team colors. The '67 and '69 cards seem like they could have a problem. They both have writing (and a circle on the '69 card) that may end up on someone's face.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

IMO, '68 is a classic card. '61 is also classic, but a little more plain. I voted 1968, but think 1961 is good too.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
old timer
Hall Of Famer

I think I like the '68 card a bit as well. If you did that one, would you use team colors for the team name in the circle?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
I prefer the '64 card and then the '61 card after that. I like the team name being more prominent like on the '64 card and I would definitely prefer it having the proper team colors. The '67 and '69 cards seem like they could have a problem. They both have writing (and a circle on the '69 card) that may end up on someone's face.
That's a good point on the '67 and '69 cards. However, I think they are both safe. '67 text is so far at the bottom of the card and the photo takes up such a large part of the front that I don't think you'd ever have it encroaching on the face. '69 could cover part of the player and is a little more dangerous... But I think its positioning would, at worst, obscure a small portion of the ballcap.

But that is a good point to consider, and one that I had overlooked. I'm going to update the original post.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I like the '68 card a bit as well. If you did that one, would you use team colors for the team name in the circle?
I hope so. It can be done, though obviously if a team color was white or black it could be problematic.

EDIT: I forget exactly how the color was determined in that set. I don't think they were all blue. Maybe they were a random color.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 07-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
blueturf
All Star Reserve

Of those listed, I would choose '61, especially if you do the All-Star variant.

If something could be done about the full body pose on the '60 card that would be my next choice.

My favorite card of that era is the Topps '59 card and that design could lend itself well to the current setup in OOTP11.
blueturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
I hope so. It can be done, though obviously if a team color was white or black it could be problematic.

EDIT: I forget exactly how the color was determined in that set. I don't think they were all blue. Maybe they were a random color.
In all likelihood, the easiest way would be to use the team text colors, although that could end up with a few white shields, where some kind of color is probably preferable. When I look at the '68 set. the shield and text color is just totally random. Mets have Yellow on Dk Blue, Cubs have White on Orange, etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturf View Post
Of those listed, I would choose '61, especially if you do the All-Star variant.

If something could be done about the full body pose on the '60 card that would be my next choice.

My favorite card of that era is the Topps '59 card and that design could lend itself well to the current setup in OOTP11.
'59 is pretty cool. The text is on a bit of a slant, but not so much that you'd lose much from straightening it out. There is no option to force lowercase and uppercase now, although that is on the list.

1959 Topps would have to compete with 1955 Bowman (although, while cool and iconic, I'm not sure I could stomach all my cards looking like that):
Attached Images
Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Already 11 votes, and no card has more than two votes or less than one vote. This will be some kind of race.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I like '66.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
I like '66.
Tough!

Actually, 1966 is possible, but you'd have to create at least 20 (teams in 1966), and potentially up to 72 (about the number of distinct AL/NL team names post 1900-) pre-rendered card fronts to accomplish this. And there's no way to anticipate all possible fictional teams, since there are literally probably trillions of combinations.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
IMO, '68 is a classic card. '61 is also classic, but a little more plain. I voted 1968, but think 1961 is good too.

'68 Gets my vote also - a nice looking design but not too hard to implement.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

I voted for the '61 card. The All-Star variant would be a nice addition as well, but the general '61 is a great looking card that has everything that is needed in a card.

I had been planning on making the '63 Fleer card and could have that out in the next few days if that would be of some help.
Tiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

'68 is my favorite design of all time. I still have all my '68 cards.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
'68 is my favorite design of all time. I still have all my '68 cards.
The 60s have some really attractive designs. Almost hard to choose.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

The all-star variant clinches 61 for me.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
The 60s have some really attractive designs. Almost hard to choose.
Agreed. Its tough to choose. all are great looking and bring back a lot of memories. The 60's sets made up the majority of my collection when I was a kid because my older brothers had a ton of them and passed them on to me.

but if I had to choose one over the rest. I'd say the 1964 card.

- =
=-

Last edited by edm; 07-19-2010 at 09:28 PM.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
Killing Time
All Star Starter

I like '61 and '68. I voted '61 but it could have gone either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Looks like 1961 is taking a pretty clear lead.