Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Although I'm not sure I'd use it, I think it would be cool to replicate baseball cards of the past.

I had the Will Clark and Doc Gooden cards before i sold all my cards.
Also had the Mark McGwire card for i believe it was 1987. I liked the wood background frame.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Can you collect cards? Maybe be a silly question but could be a fun side game.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #23
Pineapple
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
For those who are really looking forward to these, I was wondering if you could say why. I don't at all mean to complain about it (if people are really looking forward to them then great), but I just don't get the appeal. I can't even remember exactly the appeal real baseball cards had to me as a kid and I certainly collected my fair share. Is there the hope that one day these will be doled out based on certain goals you achieve in the game? As a kid I think that was the appeal to me, you tried to collect your favourites or even all of them, but unless you were rich you couldn't just go buy the entire box or print them all out as might be the case here.
You bring up a good point. I made OOTP baseball cards in the past but it was hard to find a real purpose for them. In real life, baseball cards can act as a hobby or collector's item. It also serves as a player yearbook of some sort (with the cards providing seasonal stats).

Since OOTP details seasonal stats so well in a player page format, there's not much of a baseball card market there.

The only purpose I have found for OOTP-made baseball cards so far is to commemorate special feats, awards, or accomplishments (such as a baseball card for hitting 500 home runs or hitting .400 in a season).

Nevertheless, I think it is a good feature for OOTP players. I'm sure fans will find a way to use them creatively whether it be used as e-trading cards or to immortalize their favorite player.

Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
at present, the baseball card does not keep track of all seasons (only current season and career total)
That's crap. What good is a baseball card if it doesn't have season-by-season records?

I am very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For those who are really looking forward to these, I was wondering if you could say why. I don't at all mean to complain about it (if people are really looking forward to them then great), but I just don't get the appeal.
I think they would be cool for for dynasty writeups. Also, maybe an avatar.

But yes, they are mostly a novelty. But I think the mod community will add to the novelty as a whole.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #26
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killing Time View Post
That's crap. What good is a baseball card if it doesn't have season-by-season records?

I am very disappointed.
yeah i cant see a use for a baseball card without all the seasons on the back. Never seen one before without them.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
I'm of course familiar with your creations, Pineapple, but it still bears saying: That's some mighty fine work there!
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #28
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
yeah i cant see a use for a baseball card without all the seasons on the back. Never seen one before without them.
I have cards from many different companies and a lot don't have the player history, only the current year. Some also only go back 3 years. But I only like the ones with the entire history including the minors.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

I'm gonna try selling them on eBay!
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #30
Jose Cardenal's Afro
Major Leagues

Quote:

I am very disappointed.
Baby steps.....baby steps......
Jose Cardenal's Afro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #31
hfield007
All Star Starter

Great replica of sorts of 1989 upper deck and 1989 Topps all star cards. Cant wait to see the mods for each year of topps upper deck donruss and score.

Last edited by hfield007; 04-09-2010 at 09:58 PM.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I think this is a good start. Although it's basic, it gives those without graphics talents a way to create cards for their purposes.

Realistically, between the website options, almanac, and baseball cards, it will be possible to PDF the entire package or convert it to a book using any of the online publishing sites. A coffee table book of a leagues best season could be a real centerpiece

Once I get my hands on the game, I may try and offer some mods for the baseball cards since I have made a few from scratch in the past, and I'm sure I will at least make them for my MBL award winners and all-stars. Anything I manage to come up with I'll make available to the group of course.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #33
hfield007
All Star Starter

I noticed a card number on the second card. Now will each season end with a full set being created for us to look through? Or will that be at the beginning of a season? And will players have two cards for some players (all-star cards, mvp cards along with their regular card) maybe the special ones coming near the end of the set? If at the beginning of the season these come will there be an option for traded sets at the end for rookies and traded players? haha the options are clearly at a high for what we can do with these cards just need some answers.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Well, as you can see from BMW's version, you can certainly customize the template.

In terms of content, there is not much content there to customize. You can't add additional stuff that's not in those samples.
I hope the player's position can be included.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #35
Go Tribe
All Star Starter

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
hmmmm

these are going RIGHT into the spokes of my bike
Go Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
wspahn21
Major Leagues

Quote:
For those who are really looking forward to these, I was wondering if you could say why. I don't at all mean to complain about it (if people are really looking forward to them then great), but I just don't get the appeal. I can't even remember exactly the appeal real baseball cards had to me as a kid and I certainly collected my fair share. Is there the hope that one day these will be doled out based on certain goals you achieve in the game? As a kid I think that was the appeal to me, you tried to collect your favourites or even all of them, but unless you were rich you couldn't just go buy the entire box or print them all out as might be the case here.
I look forward to them for nostalgia. I have collected baseball cards for as long as I can remember and love them.

As a kid it was how I memorized stats. The internet wasn't around and the paper or espn were only for current season stats.

Through baseball cards I knew the stats for all my favorite players.

If you don't get it then you don't get it, no big deal. I still drop about 100$ or more a paycheck on baseball cards. Some people buy other things, I don't knock them for it.
wspahn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #37
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
hmmmm

these are going RIGHT into the spokes of my bike in Pro Cycling Manager 2010.
FTFY! caps
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #38
battists
Hall Of Famer

I think it's clear, we see this as having a lot of potential. We just weren't able to realize the full potential in time for the release. I'm sure there will be improvements pretty quickly. Your feedback will also give us some good ideas of where to take this feature in the future!

Although, we could push back the release to June again if you guys would like? . . .
Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #39
ry1220
All Star Reserve

How much detail gets published on the card? If we customize cards, can we add more stats, etc?

I made the action template below, is it at all possible that it can be somehow implemented with the game?

ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #40
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am very disappointed.

Now we know why they weren't talking about this feature.

I really didn't expect much, maybe after a few dozen patches they will look decent. They presently look like they come free from a Cracker Jack box.

BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote