Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

128-team tournaments

suggested this on discord and figured I'd do the same here to try and get a little momentum on the 128 team tourneys.... right now there are over 250 players signed up for the various 128 team tourneys, but only one is even at the halfway mark of being full...

I'd like to see everyone who is currently signed up or a 128 tourney to try something with me.... we all focus on the 128 tourney closest to being filled and use our slot to claim a spot in that one. Once we get that to run, we move to the next one (i.e. - once you get booted from the first one, sign up for the one with the next highest number of people in it).... maybe then we can get these to start running on a regular basis.

I know my bunch won't have a prayer in winning some of these, but I'll claim a spot anyway if it gets others to join in and do the same.

so first up is the Thursday Super Cap 1625.... currently has 65/128.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Let's hope the developers follow up on this quixotic venture and stop offering 128 player tournaments unless they pony up a truly outstanding reward card.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

just scrolling through the players signed up in the top two, there are only two repeat names, so it'd almost be enough to fill one.... if we start working together we can fill 'em rather than sitting in our separate pools and remain idle forever.... so here's a suggested rotation, assuming just these 9 refresh once they fill and run:

1 - Thursday Super Cap 1625
2 - Saturday Super Gold Non-Live Dbl RR
3 - Monday Super Live
4- The Heinsohn Super Cap 1777
5 - Tuesday Super Non-Live Silver
6 - Friday Super Diamond Dbl RR
7 - Perfect Monthly Open Challenge
8 - Sunday Super Open
9 - Wednesday Super Gold NoDH

so if you're currently in 2-9 but not in 1, shift your spot to the first entry, let's run it and then move to number 2, etc.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

And if there're only four of the nine that are even remotely interesting?

I'll toss in a sacrificial victim to help launch a leaking boat from time to time. But that sounds like too much of a commitment to propping up bad concepts.

"All we're asking is that you vote against your own self interest so that we can get great cards."

Last edited by Lemandria; 01-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

the cynicism levels around here are staggering....

so these cards aren't interesting to anyone:

100 Dizzy Dean
100 J.R. Richard
100 Gaylord Perry
100 Ken Griffey Jr
100 Liam Hendricks (team of the year card)
100 Kirby Yates (team of the year card)

"sacrifice" one slot for a tourney you have no interest in and get backing for another that you do want to run to shoot for a top notch card.... pretty easy trade in my book but I'm trying to look on the positive side.

250+ players think the offerings are good enough to tie up a slot indefinitely right now, why not pool the resources and get these to run?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

simple game theory

I can keep playing 16 and 32 man quick bronzes and earn ten packs a day then still jump into those once there are 100+ people already in, or I can be registered forever

128 needs to be used very rarely for exciting prizes. Are any of those even worth more than 100K now?
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

They could also use 128 for stuff that actually fills at 64 like the two daily bronzes/silvers you need to register for 12 hours early. But hey I'm just a simple gamer who thinks the tournaments offered should be ones that the most people have shown they want to play.

Personally I have no interest in making a weird cap team or non-live gold or whatever
Old 01-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
They could also use 128 for stuff that actually fills at 64 like the two daily bronzes/silvers you need to register for 12 hours early. But hey I'm just a simple gamer who thinks the tournaments offered should be ones that the most people have shown they want to play.

Personally I have no interest in making a weird cap team or non-live gold or whatever

which is fine... so I take it you aren't one of the 250+ currently in a 128-team tourney waiting for it to run.... kinda means this isn't meant for you. I'm looking to those people to do the logical thing and pool resources to get them to run. Appreciate the response though.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

But in the same train of thought, if someone is waiting for the non-live silver, there is no guarantee they also have a 1625 cap or open live team ready to play with.

Its not like there are multiple of the same types waiting to go
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But in the same train of thought, if someone is waiting for the non-live silver, there is no guarantee they also have a 1625 cap or open live team ready to play with.

Its not like there are multiple of the same types waiting to go

so throw one together.... doesn't take that long to put a lineup together... I've tossed together random tourney lineups in a matter of minutes for one I've never joined before... and once a lineup it built, it becomes a default for that tourney going forward.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
so throw one together....
So you recommend fielding random crap with no real chance [odds much greater than 127:1, shall we call it 500:1 or more?] so that YOU have a chance at a great card?

Presumably you're so eager to sell this deal because you consider your team's odds signigicantly better than base.

Do you see the "rich get richer" that's built right into the very design 128s as a matter of course?

Now ask yourself, honestly, who benefits most and rope as many of those Barnums as you can into the disingenuous shell game.

P.S. I have nothing but respect for you and your teams!

But don't be too shocked if 128s continue to fail for the rank-and-file players. They were *designed* for the elites.

Last edited by Lemandria; 01-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
So you recommend fielding random crap with no real chance [odds much greater than 127:1, shall we call it 500:1 or more?] so that YOU have a chance at a great card?

Presumably you're so eager to sell this deal because you consider your team's odds signigicantly better than base.

Do you see the "rich get richer" that's built right into the very design 128s as a matter of course?

Now ask yourself, honestly, who benefits most and rope as many of those Barnums as you can into the disingenuous shell game.

P.S. I have nothing but respect for you and your teams!

But don't be too shocked if 128s continue to fail for the rank-and-file players. They were *designed* for the elites.

no disrespect taken, and none directed towards you either (or anyone else for that matter)... I respect everyone's right to play the game as they see fit...

but no, I don't feel it will give me an advantage... in fact, I don't expect to win any of these 128 team tourneys, but I enjoy seeing the big ones run nonetheless (though to be completely transparent, my bunch did win one of the first 128-gold tourneys that ran way-back-when).... all tourneys are a random crap-shoot, so it's possible for the lowly ftp teams to take down the big dogs....

but again, if the 128 team setting isn't your bag, no problem. There are 250+ players who are signed up.... I'm guessing most of them either aren't on these boards or the discord actively, or they just don't care if that spot is tied up indefinitely... but i'm gonna try to roust them up anyway to pool resources.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Right. Most people would be scrambling together some half-ass team while using a valuable tourney slot for who knows how long just so other people can win nice promos.

It's the first year of tournaments so this is all valuable feedback for next time. Lots of people like bronze and silver tournaments. Not many like ones that are just extensions of whale dominated PT. 128 needs to be reserved for something truly special. 32 should be the norm for most formats.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right. Most people would be scrambling together some half-ass team while using a valuable tourney slot for who knows how long just so other people can win nice promos.

It's the first year of tournaments so this is all valuable feedback for next time. Lots of people like bronze and silver tournaments. Not many like ones that are just extensions of whale dominated PT. 128 needs to be reserved for something truly special. 32 should be the norm for most formats.

so that's a no vote, got it.... I do thank you for helping keep my thread at the top of the page though.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:07 AM   #15
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I'd say stop the 128-team tournaments altogether. It's too late in the game cycle. Bring them back for PT 21 though, right at the start. Those should fill in no time then.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #16
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Yup, we will change them to 64

Edit: Done, except the one where over 64 had already signed up.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 01-20-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote