Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

If they got rid of the mound would there be fewer home runs?

With the mound a pitch travels downward to the batter. Meaning a slight upper cut to give the bat max time in the ball's path may help home runs.

But of the ball came in closer to flat a more level swing to maximize contact potential might mean more line drives and fewer home runs.

Seems decreased velocity from no mound would mean more hits.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
pilight
All Star Starter

That would explain why there were so many homers in the 60's, when the mounds were higher
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Easier solution would be to dump the juiced balls
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Easier solution would be to dump the juiced balls
Yea, but that wouldn't increase hits as a lower mound might.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
With the mound a pitch travels downward to the batter. Meaning a slight upper cut to give the bat max time in the ball's path may help home runs.

But of the ball came in closer to flat a more level swing to maximize contact potential might mean more line drives and fewer home runs.

Seems decreased velocity from no mound would mean more hits.
This would be my first attempt at "fixing the game"

Or moving the mound back, which would have a similar effect of changing the angle of the incoming pitch.

Along with making the strike zone bigger.

Both moves would increase the value of making contact. Which is the game most fans seem to want.

Don't know how much difference it would make in HR rate though. Not sure that the decrease in angle would do as you say and flatten out swings enough to really impact HRs.

HR's per game went up when the mound was lowered for the 1969 season. There were also changes made to the strike zone which obscures how change lowering the mound had

Last edited by CBeisbol; 12-31-2019 at 04:17 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

A lower mound reduces pitch velocity for many reasons. The pitcher can no longer drive forward with his lead foot anywhere near as effectively. Slower pitchers mean more contact; more contact means more hits. Where those hits end up is due to more factors than launch angle.

The Dodgers had the highest mound in baseball while they had Koufax and Drysdale (and others). Many think that is the reason for their pitching success. Remember, there hitting wasn't all that great in those days because the visitors benefit, too.

Gravity stills draws the ball down, so its flight will always be dropping. A slower ball means a greater drop near the plate, so I doubt 'Launch Angles' will be changed much.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

If the mound is lower, to get the ball into the strike zone, it will need to be released at a higher angle. The ball is going to drop the same amount over the 60 feet. Playing with physics in my head, I think you will actually drop in at a steeper, and probably slower, angle if you throw on the flat.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

They lowered the mound from 15 to 10 inches and changed the strike zone because of the following:

In 1968, 7 pitchers had sub 2 era. Bob Gibson 1.12 ERA.

The batting champ (Yaz) hit .301.

The Yankees hit .214. Mickey Mantle hit .237.

7 Teams hit .230 or lower.

Last edited by Jwalk100; 01-01-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jwalk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
If the mound is lower, to get the ball into the strike zone, it will need to be released at a higher angle. The ball is going to drop the same amount over the 60 feet. Playing with physics in my head, I think you will actually drop in at a steeper, and probably slower, angle if you throw on the flat.
Don't think so. With the mound the pitchers are throwing down. With no mound they are still going to be releasing the ball above the strike zone and thus still throwing down. But less down.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Why not adopt the small town little league way of doing things? You know, the one where use and weather combine to have the pitcher throwing from a what amounts to a ditch.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Why not adopt the small town little league way of doing things? You know, the one where use and weather combine to have the pitcher throwing from a what amounts to a ditch.
That would really mess up the bounce on grounders. Come to think of it, so does the mound. More reasons to make it flat!!!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Since both pitchers throw from the same mound, I'm not sure what advantage that would create. If I'm the small town home pitcher I want a 15" mound for sure.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

Or moving the mound back, which would have a similar effect of changing the angle of the incoming pitch.

I saw Eddie Feigner strike a few guys out from second base. He pitched from centerfield too but was completely hittable from there.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #14
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I always thought the higher the mound the harder it was to hit in general.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I always thought the higher the mound the harder it was to hit in general.
Yep.

The answer to the original question is no. There would be more HR.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Since both pitchers throw from the same mound, I'm not sure what advantage that would create. If I'm the small town home pitcher I want a 15" mound for sure.
Just thinking back to my little league days. Heck, even some of our pony league fields had us pitching out of a hole.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #17
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Here's a well-thought-out article about the big changes in 1969 and how they each may have affected the change in offense.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-height-of-the-hill/

It's interesting no one has yet pointed out the 1969 was a major, four team expansion and that had a big impact on the quality of play.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Here's a well-thought-out article about the big changes in 1969 and how they each may have affected the change in offense.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-height-of-the-hill/

It's interesting no one has yet pointed out the 1969 was a major, four team expansion and that had a big impact on the quality of play.
The average quality was reduced. However that wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the league averages. The difference between the best and the worst players would increase. But if average batting is worse and average pitching is worse and average defense is worse all by roughly equal amounts why would scoring change much?

Taken from the opposite direction, some of the DMB guys do leagues where all the players are everyday player or top of the rotation quality. No RL bench guys or fourth starters are in the game. Then they complain the stars don't perform like stars a lot of the time.

Of course not. Star batters are facing better pitchers and star pitchers are facing better batters. Both under perform RL while overall averages mimic RL.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
The average quality was reduced. However that wouldn't necessarily be reflected in the league averages. The difference between the best and the worst players would increase. But if average batting is worse and average pitching is worse and average defense is worse all by roughly equal amounts why would scoring change much?

Taken from the opposite direction, some of the DMB guys do leagues where all the players are everyday player or top of the rotation quality. No RL bench guys or fourth starters are in the game. Then they complain the stars don't perform like stars a lot of the time.

Of course not. Star batters are facing better pitchers and star pitchers are facing better batters. Both under perform RL while overall averages mimic RL.
Except in OOTP the league totals are frozen and league averages ALWAYS prevail. That is how the game is designed. Real life works differently.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #20
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Except in OOTP the league totals are frozen and league averages ALWAYS prevail. That is how the game is designed. Real life works differently.
I said DMB not OOTP.

So if real life works differently, tell me, when MLB expanded 20% did it help pitching or hitting? And why?