Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
freedavebrown
Minors (Double A)

Should PP gain scale with league level?

Why don’t you earn more PP for the same achievements in higher leagues? It is obviously harder to score 20 runs in a game in the silver league than in the bronze league.

Maybe just like 20% more in silver and 40% more in gold?

This would also cut down on the temptation to tank back down into a lower league to rack up PP.

Would be curious to hear thoughts?

I think the main downside is that it might result in the rich getting richer so to speak.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I see no reason to scale PP. It would definitely offer the opportunity for teams that make it to higher leagues to get windfalls at times. There will be teams moving up with the best teams because of how many are promoted. The best teams will still feast on these teams, especially in the short term. Then when teams that were left behind are more competitive in the leagues that they then will be in, they will be promoted and still not ready to completely compete with the teams that were promoted a season or two before.

IMHO the PP rewards should remain stable.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
km352
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedavebrown View Post
It is obviously harder to score 20 runs in a game in the silver league than in the bronze league.
That shouldn't be the case once the quality of the teams at each level are reasonably similar. The pitching at silver should be better, but so should the hitting.

Quote:
I think the main downside is that it might result in the rich getting richer so to speak.
That's a very big downside.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

I think like in the real world teams should get rewarded for being in better leagues. After all they are the best so why not treat them as such. We get so hung up on being losers, Let’s give some credit and extra perks to the winners. After all they get knocked for being so good so why should they not get some extra perks. Just my opinion but it is the only one I got.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why don’t you earn more PP for the same achievements in higher leagues?
Absolutely not
Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I did not promote. The weaker competition in the Bronze league this year is finally giving my high powered offense what it needs to rake in the points. I'm on pace to get 4x and maybe even 5x the amount of points from achievements this season.

If trends like this continue once promotion/relegation stabilizes, then I believe that tanking could well be a viable points-earning option.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
Let'sGoBraves
Minors (Single A)

F2P teams would never catch up. Thank about it though...once you reach the top leagues what is left on your team to improve? By the time 20 comes out, people still actively playing will be stacked and will not need the PP. Fortunately none of that rolls into 20. They might consider allowing us the option of resetting any of our 3 available teams per license on 19. If they really want to pursue this money grab let people buy expansion teams.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Absolutely not
I reluctantly agree with you.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Why don’t you earn more PP for the same achievements in higher leagues? It is obviously harder to score 20 runs in a game in the silver league than in the bronze league.

Maybe just like 20% more in silver and 40% more in gold?

This would also cut down on the temptation to tank back down into a lower league to rack up PP.

Would be curious to hear thoughts?

No.

I have faith that the Devs will come up with a way to prevent punish obvious tanking. A simple check for the top 25 players on a team vs the teams 25 man roster could help. If the average rating of your active team is 70 and the average rating of your top 25 reserve or inactive players is 90 then you are most likely tanking.

But if promotion and relegation work the way it should then theoretically the PP gain should stay roughly the same. Are diamond players less likely to perform against their counterparts than a bronze or silver player against theirs?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
No.

I have faith that the Devs will come up with a way to prevent punish obvious tanking. A simple check for the top 25 players on a team vs the teams 25 man roster could help. If the average rating of your active team is 70 and the average rating of your top 25 reserve or inactive players is 90 then you are most likely tanking.

But if promotion and relegation work the way it should then theoretically the PP gain should stay roughly the same. Are diamond players less likely to perform against their counterparts than a bronze or silver player against theirs?
AI checking rosters is already causing all kind of nightmares. I'd hesitate to add more before that is completely straightened out.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Would all the paranoia please stop? I have about 11 or 12 gold+ players on the 25-man, and lots of silver and a handful of bronze as well. I have several gold cards and numerous silver on the reserve roster. Sometimes a player STINKS and needs a timeout. Sometimes *five* players STINK and need a timeout. My Craig Swan (71) keeps chugging away and at times had the best ERA in my rotation this season. Any algorithm that makes me replace him with a better card is a ****ty algorithm. The best control algorithm is no control algorithm at all. Let people play with their damn cards. There is no incentive to tanking to begin with, given that you are in no way guaranteed to have a big-buck game at a lower level, but you sure enough are assured to not make any PP on the way there...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Yes.

Yes.

Yes!!!

Since someone else kicked this off, I'll use this as yet another opportunity to bang the drum.

If you are playing on a more difficult level, against tougher opponents, you should be rewarded for doing so. Someone winning 100 games on Bronze level should not be earning more than a person going 81-81 on Gold Level. It is nowhere near the same accomplishment. It makes no sense.

Looking at PT, if you include the beta we've been playing for around 6-7 weeks now. Has anyone here seen a post where someone says, "Whoo hoo! I've been promoted!". I haven't seen a single one. But I've seen lots of people complaining about being moved up, and that simply shouldn't be. Players should be happy to get promoted, right?

I'll whip out some analogies, and I can keep going with these all day...

Should a guy who hits .320 in A ball get paid more than a guy who hits .210 in the majors?

If you're familiar with Soccer, should Brackley Town, who finished 3rd in the 5th tier of English Soccer, earn more money than Newcastle United, who was 14th in the Premier League? Of course not. There are no RL comparisons to what we are doing here.

It would also eliminate most forms of cheating before they ever became a problem. Tanking wouldn't be a problem. People using meatball teams to earn more pp wouldn't be a problem because meatball teams lose, and with scaled awards, just winning would pay more than doing weird stuff to manipulate the system. The further away you get from rewarding winning, the more likely you are to see gaming attempts.

Also, isn't Baseball America's pastime? Not rewarding based on skill and merit is a form of communism. Stop being communists. Do America's founding fathers proud instead!

(that last paragraph was a joke.)

Edit* - With rich getting richer... scaling wouldn't affect them as much as people think. They're already wealthy so they aren't as dependent on achievement pp as plankton are. Who it would help more are those plankton teams who managed to claw their way into a league that is above their station. Those are the players I have in mind. Also, this would inflate prices at the AH so some of that money would go to lesser teams who are selling players.

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 12-15-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No!

Commenting further would be redundant as this horse is still quite dead.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Interesting that you wrote that in red... comrade.

Just noticed that bird of yours is awfully red, too. Hmmmm....
Old 12-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #15
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
If you are playing on a more difficult level, against tougher opponents, you should be rewarded for doing so.
If you have a diamond hitter going up against a diamond pitcher will the results be that much different that a silver batter going up against a silver pitcher. Why should you get more in that case?

I said it in beta and I will say it again now. I don't care what league level I finally settle into as long as I have the same opportunity to earn points as the higher level leagues.

Regardless, let us go a few more weeks of promotion and relegation before asking for sweeping changes. Right now in the Silver league you are competing against the best team there are. Next week in the silver league you will not be. The gold league will have the best teams and the week after that the diamond level.

Maybe I am just not enough of a cynic, but I don't see how it would be enjoyable to tank. I don't see why anyone would want to waste weeks of playtime to earn a few more PP. You would waste a week tanking for every level you wanted to go down and at least a week for each level to climb back up. Especially when you can just go to the points store and for $10 buy the same number of points you might gain by wasting weeks of playtime tanking.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
If you have a diamond hitter going up against a diamond pitcher will the results be that much different that a silver batter going up against a silver pitcher. Why should you get more in that case?
People are so hung up over Diamond batters and Diamond pitchers and ohh my God what would happen. All I am saying is you should get something more for being the best Managers in PT and putting together a winning franchise against the best in the game. If you can get to the top and be the best Managers in the best League why not reward them for the greatness they achieved? That is all I am saying. I get nothing extra for recognizing greatness. The extra PT will not even help them because they have built a Dynasty without them but it would reward them for being special.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
People are so hung up over Diamond batters and Diamond pitchers and ohh my God what would happen. All I am saying is you should get something more for being the best Managers in PT and putting together a winning franchise against the best in the game. If you can get to the top and be the best Managers in the best League why not reward them for the greatness they achieved? That is all I am saying. I get nothing extra for recognizing greatness. The extra PT will not even help them because they have built a Dynasty without them but it would reward them for being special.
But are they the best managers or did they just purchase 100$ of perfect points and buy the best team?

Aren't there extra points to be won for playoff appearances and such? That seems like a bonus for being a good manager.

But as I said, we are only in weeks 2. Nobody knows how easy or hard it will be to earn points in the top tier leagues yet.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The extra PT will not even help them because they have built a Dynasty without them but it would reward them for being special.
Sort of like top pro athletes who don't need the money but want to be paid more than the next guy out of respect?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #19
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
If you are playing on a more difficult level, against tougher opponents, you should be rewarded for doing so.
Except what are you rewarding? That someone pulled two Diamonds from a pack and got promoted because of it?

This isn't a game of skill. There's some decision-making that goes into the team-building, but we're not taking control of the players on the field. You could literally just pull a few good players, set your lineup, leave for three weeks, then come back to find yourself in a Diamond league with a little bit of luck. Wooo, congratulations, you did so much more than the guy who got crappy packs and micromanaged his team every day en route to a single promotion to Silver.

Without physically playing out the games, you can't claim it's an achievement to be in the higher leagues. You can't claim that the differentiation is skill-based. That's ridiculous.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #20
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
People are so hung up on being the first team to win the diamond league with a record of 162-0, that they should be awarded with that achievement for zero PP.

There is no reason for PT to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.
Closed Thread