Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #61
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Markus doesn't seem to like to share where his head is however. I would never hold him to every idea he may discuss, and I realize he wants to see what is feasible, but it would be nice to sort of have a "long range planning committee to get an idea of what types of ideas Markus has.
My impression is that Markus protects his intellectual property and his sanity by not musing in public. Much as I'd like to see more revelations my background in product development sees this as perfectly reasonable from a business pov.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #62
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee View Post
I have never played FM mostly because I have read that customization and
fictional league are very difficult or impossible. Please let me know if that's not the case.
IMO it's difficult, but not very difficult or impossible.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
hallissyc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I try every so often to get into FM, but I just don't have the passion for football. I love baseball, and have a feel for the game, which allows me to really get into the games and interpret the statistics correctly. In my defense, I am making my suppositions base on FM11 and OOTPB14.

-Chris
hallissyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #64
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Played OOTP 14 and OOTP 13 and also every iteration of Championship Manager and Football Manager.... I have to say as good as OOTP is, Football Manager is a lot better from a polished perspective to a depth of gameplay, to me FM series is the best piece of software on the planet. OOTP is by no means bad, it just not on the same league. My opinion, of course.

That said... "Futbol" is my passion, Baseball is a close second.

Last edited by X3NEIZE; 10-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #65
MarinerGB
Bat Boy

Well I've played FM since it was Championship Manager in the mid 90's. The best game was probably CM 01/02 (which I still play on occasion), I like Baseball but I LOVE football (soccer) and always have. I'm new to OOTP and it's great but I'd be betraying my roots and arguably my nation if I chose anything other than Football Manager.

I'm actually surprised it's a popular sell in the States. I would imagine most people play teams in the Big European leagues rather than the mess that is the MLS?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #66
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerGB View Post
Well I've played FM since it was Championship Manager in the mid 90's. The best game was probably CM 01/02 (which I still play on occasion), I like Baseball but I LOVE football (soccer) and always have. I'm new to OOTP and it's great but I'd be betraying my roots and arguably my nation if I chose anything other than Football Manager.

I'm actually surprised it's a popular sell in the States. I would imagine most people play teams in the Big European leagues rather than the mess that is the MLS?
You'd be correct on that, but playing the MLS is fun just like playing a lower division game below the Premiership is fun, for example. Trying to import a big star, etc, etc.

I just recently got a new machine and am still purchasing software, FM is actually the next thing I'm installing -- but it won't get more play over OOTP for some time.

I, like you, have been playing since it was the old Championship Manager. I played soccer in the States, and honestly, I used to always find the games in the "bargain bin" at the Best Buy or software store in those years. I love the cerebral games.

That being said, yes, you deal more with people in FM. A lot of things in the game that people look at as bonuses just wouldn't translate cross-sport, though. Most major football programs have differing styles of training, whereas baseball practice is pretty much the same everywhere.

I would love to see more dealing with the media and individual players in OOTP -- but it still has always taken the cake over FM for me. I love the beautiful game, so its definitely not an American bias type of thing. I love BOTH games, they just do different things for me. The important thing is they both stimulate my brain, and I don't need twitch reflexes to be competitive. Also, as a writer, and especially someone who loves writing dynasty reports -- both games provide stories for someone who wants to tell them, which is a huge plus for me.

I feel both games are must buys at this point every new iteration.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #67
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I play with The Philadelphia Union
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #68
Pdubya64
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
Oh look. Another thread where people are mad at each other.
Ohh, that hardly EVER happens 'round here...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #69
MarinerGB
Bat Boy

I've had a go with both Montreal Impact and the Seattle Sounders but always found, for long term games, that Europe is the place to play. Lower League England or France is the most enjoyable in my opinion. My proudest achievement has to be winning the Champions League with Leyton Orient!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #70
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
as for Baseball simulators what are the top 4 OOTP, Baseball Mogul and what?

Last edited by Padreman; 10-13-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #71
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee View Post
I have never played FM mostly because I have read that customization and
fictional league are very difficult or impossible. Please let me know if that's not the case.
This used to be the case, but SI sort of had a change of heart and opened up the game more to this.

But....the game is not able to be edited in the middle. You have to set up your footballing universe as you want it at the beginning using their database editor, then you are off. The only thing you can change once you started a game is which leagues are 'On' or 'Off'. I put them in quotes because turning them off doesnt really remove them, the clubs and players are still there...sort of.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #72
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Have any if you ever played any of these others mentioned here?
Best Baseball Simulators - 11 Best Baseball Game and Season Simulators
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #73
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I play the Huddersfield Town Terriers myself.

(Proud real life soccer/association football player since grade school.)
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #74
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
as for Baseball simulators what are the top 4 OOTP, Baseball Mogul and what?
Diamond Mind Baseball and Strat-O-Matic, I expect.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #75
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
But....the game is not able to be edited in the middle. You have to set up your footballing universe as you want it at the beginning using their database editor, then you are off. The only thing you can change once you started a game is which leagues are 'On' or 'Off'.
What for? To cheat?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #76
MarinerGB
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I play the Huddersfield Town Terriers myself.

(Proud real life soccer/association football player since grade school.)
As a Sheffield United fan, these are our rivals, so would never manage them and I have also never heard of them called 'The Huddersfield Town Terriers', in England we just call them 'Huddersfield'.

A good team to take charge of is Lorient in Ligue 1, France, lots of good youngsters and a solid back line, low expectations with easy to raise cash from selling the deadwood.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #77
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Well I've played FM since it was Championship Manager in the mid 90's. The best game was probably CM 01/02 (which I still play on occasion)...
Thanks to your post, MarinerGB, got curious about CM 01/02. Found out that it was released as freeware a few years back. Downloaded it a few days ago.

I really don't know what football is all about - never played it nor followed it. But, then, 4 years ago, I didn't know anything about baseball until I discovered OOTP. After 4 years, my knowledge and appreciation of baseball has grown by leaps and bounds. Thanks to OOTP.

I'm hoping I'll also begin to appreciate "the beautiful game" by playing CM 01/02. So far, I like what I'm seeing in CM 01/02. Although most would probably be put off by its old school UI. But we have to remember that it was developed 12 years ago! What I love about it is its simplicity. It's simple enough for a newbie like me, but also challenging enough not to be boring.

By the way, quite a number of people prefer playing CM 01/02 over the recent versions of Football Manager. This reminds me of those who prefer playing OOTP 6.5 over its recent iterations...
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #78
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post

By the way, quite a number of people prefer playing CM 01/02 over the recent versions of Football Manager. This reminds me of those who prefer playing OOTP 6.5 over its recent iterations...
Eh, some people just get stuck in their ways ya know. I have an uncle who refuses to get a new computer, still runs this Windows 98 (First Edition too) machine that by some miracle hasn't fried itself after all these years. Nevermind that he spends ages finding software compatible with the thing. Some people just don't like change.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #79
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Thanks to your post, MarinerGB, got curious about CM 01/02. Found out that it was released as freeware a few years back. Downloaded it a few days ago.

I really don't know what football is all about - never played it nor followed it. But, then, 4 years ago, I didn't know anything about baseball until I discovered OOTP. After 4 years, my knowledge and appreciation of baseball has grown by leaps and bounds. Thanks to OOTP.

I'm hoping I'll also begin to appreciate "the beautiful game" by playing CM 01/02. So far, I like what I'm seeing in CM 01/02. Although most would probably be put off by its old school UI. But we have to remember that it was developed 12 years ago! What I love about it is its simplicity. It's simple enough for a newbie like me, but also challenging enough not to be boring.

Do yourself a favor and try a much newer edition...not expensive to do. If you like it, then maybe you will want to upgrade to the latest.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #80
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Do yourself a favor and try a much newer edition...not expensive to do. If you like it, then maybe you will want to upgrade to the latest.
I will. As soon as I get a new computer. I'm still using an old but trusty 7-year-old Dell Inspiron B120, running on XP with 1 Gig of RAM and 40 gig of hard disk space.

I'm afraid that my present computer won't be able to handle even older versions of FM. Also heard that setting up a league in FM could be difficult, and that it takes a long time to play it.

But heard a lot of good things about FM Classic, which is a simpler and faster way to play FM. Planning to buy FM 2013 or FM 2014 when I get my new computer...

Last edited by themonk; 10-15-2013 at 12:26 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote