Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #301
SunDevil
Major Leagues

New York Mets Trainer and Washington Nationals Trainer have a way too low value to heal fatigue. These two trainers have the lowest rating compared to any other team.

Quote:
Fatigue Recovery The ability to help players recover from fatigue. You can think of this rating as if your team also has a training staff. The better your training staff, the more 'in shape' your players will be, and therefore the more quickly they will recover from fatigue.
Quote:
Once a certain amount of fatigue has been accumulated, the player becomes tired. Tired players don't perform as well, and are also more prone to suffering injuries.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #302
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

In regard to the concerns about the 40 man rosters, it's more an ai problem than a roster set issue. I'd suggest a thread in the bug report forum explaining that the ai is not properly filling out 40 man rosters.

It's possible for us to actually set the correct 40 man rosters in the game and then use that file in the roster update. We were considering doing so but haven't got around to it since it's a pain in the butt to do. Perhaps we can take the time and actually do it at some point No promises though.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #303
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
New York Mets Trainer and Washington Nationals Trainer have a way too low value to heal fatigue. These two trainers have the lowest rating compared to any other team.
Well, Ray Ramirez from the Mets is pretty widely considered to be a really crappy trainer.

So I don't think he should be set too high. I'll check this out though and see if we should make some changes.

EDIT: Ok, you're right. They are set way, way too low compared to the other trainers. Fixed this.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 05-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #304
merong0916
Bat Boy

Marlins top prospects Jose Fernandez throws average 94.4MPH fastball according to Pitch FX and BA 2013 report said he throws average 94-95 and sometimes reach 99 while OOTP roster said he throws 92-94MPH fastball.
merong0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #305
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
In regard to the concerns about the 40 man rosters, it's more an ai problem than a roster set issue. I'd suggest a thread in the bug report forum explaining that the ai is not properly filling out 40 man rosters.
No! Don't do that!

The AI should never be 'filling out 40 man rosters' just for the sake of doing so. That's what the AI used to do, and it took us years to get Markus to fix it. When the AI does that, then any time it needs to add a new player, it has to waive someone. So if the AI automatically fills its 40-man to capacity, far too many players end up on waivers - lots of good ones too.

There are only two reasons the AI should ever add someone to its 40-man: it wants to add a new player to the active roster, or it wants to protect someone from the Rule 5 draft.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #306
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merong0916 View Post
Marlins top prospects Jose Fernandez throws average 94.4MPH fastball according to Pitch FX and BA 2013 report said he throws average 94-95 and sometimes reach 99 while OOTP roster said he throws 92-94MPH fastball.
Just as a note about what OOTP velocity means. The velo you see in OOTP is where a pitcher 'sits', or his average velo. So If Jose Fernandez averages 94.4 mph, his velo in OOTP should be 93-95 mph, or maybe (just maybe) 94-96 mph. 92-94 mph is too low, so he's not quite right, but he's close. Pitchers will 'dial it up' on occasion if you play out a game in OOTP, so you might see Fernandez hit 98 or so if you watch him pitch.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #307
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
No! Don't do that!

The AI should never be 'filling out 40 man rosters' just for the sake of doing so. That's what the AI used to do, and it took us years to get Markus to fix it. When the AI does that, then any time it needs to add a new player, it has to waive someone. So if the AI automatically fills its 40-man to capacity, far too many players end up on waivers - lots of good ones too.

There are only two reasons the AI should ever add someone to its 40-man: it wants to add a new player to the active roster, or it wants to protect someone from the Rule 5 draft.
What he said. Don't listen to me
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #308
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This isn't simply a matter of the AI filling out 40 man rosters for the sake of filing out the rosters. This is a case of a new edition making a mockery of 40 man rosters.

Also, MLB rules state that a player can't be placed on the 60 day DL unless the 40 man roster is filled. So, everyone that OOTP has on the 60 day DL (except for the Red Sox) would be an invalid move.

Of course players have to be waived when someone gets added to the 40 man roster. That's how baseball works.

And, if the AI is putting lots of good players on waivers to create 40 man roster spots, then there is something wrong with the AI. There isn't a team in the majors that has 40 good players who are on their 40 man roster. So, there is no excuse for waiving good players to make room on the 40 man rosters, let alone lots of them. If the players truly are good players, they'd be the ones getting the call to the big leagues.
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #309
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
This isn't simply a matter of the AI filling out 40 man rosters for the sake of filing out the rosters. This is a case of a new edition making a mockery of 40 man rosters.

Also, MLB rules state that a player can't be placed on the 60 day DL unless the 40 man roster is filled. So, everyone that OOTP has on the 60 day DL (except for the Red Sox) would be an invalid move.

Of course players have to be waived when someone gets added to the 40 man roster. That's how baseball works.

And, if the AI is putting lots of good players on waivers to create 40 man roster spots, then there is something wrong with the AI. There isn't a team in the majors that has 40 good players who are on their 40 man roster. So, there is no excuse for waiving good players to make room on the 40 man rosters, let alone lots of them. If the players truly are good players, they'd be the ones getting the call to the big leagues.
The 40-man roster situation is greatly improved from past versions because of the way it is now handled in the real-roster set. The way you have to look at it is that each team got to re-set their 40-man at the beginning of the season without having to worry about waivers. If this was the case in real-life, the rosters would not be very full either. The only guys missing are the fringe guys who were added to the real-life 40-man for AI reasons that their computer counterpart hasn't run into yet (i.e injuries to major leaguers and rule V protection). It would be extremely complicated to create good AI for deciding who should take up those spots from the jump and this caused issues in old versions, so why not just let those spots get filled naturally. The 40-mans should look pretty normal by season 2.

FTB: andymac

Last edited by andymac; 05-03-2013 at 06:48 AM.
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #310
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

There is no need to create complicated AI to figure out who is on the 40 man roster at the start of the season. This is a game that purports to have accurate rosters. The way to do that is to actually have the start of the season 40 man rosters.

It's just like there is no need to create complicated AI to try to figure out that the Blue Jays would have been an active team in the 2012-13 offseason. All one had to do was put the appropriate players on the Blue Jays's 25 man roster. Similarily, all OOTP had to do is to also put them on the Blue Jays's 40 man roster, instead of the Blue Jays's 30whatever they have roster or even maybe their 20something roster.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #311
andymac
Hall Of Famer

The AI is not going to see the team exactly like the real life GM looks at it. So, by setting accurate 40-man rosters all that happens is on the very first day the AI makes a flurry of moves and a bunch of players end up on waivers. This is what happened in the past, the current setup is much better IMO.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #312
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
The AI is not going to see the team exactly like the real life GM looks at it. So, by setting accurate 40-man rosters all that happens is on the very first day the AI makes a flurry of moves and a bunch of players end up on waivers. This is what happened in the past, the current setup is much better IMO.
I don't understand that. The AI should only be putting players on the 40 man roster, and making moves to achieve that, when there is a need for someone to be added to the 40 man roster. I don't understand how having a complete 40 man roster creates the need for someone to be added to the 40 man, thus triggering having to make moves.

Also, how is this different from the fact that, once the season starts, the AI is going to make its own moves for the 25 man rosters. But, that doesn't prevent the game from having accurate 25 man rosters to start the season.

Last edited by nyy26wc; 05-03-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #313
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
I decided to run a test.

I just filled all of the teams' 40 man rosters with random AAA players, to see what would happen. On the first day, there was no flurry of moves. with the 40 man rosters and, in the entire majors, 1 single player was placed on waivers.

Actually, there was no flurry of moves that can be attributed to full 40 man rosters. There were several teams that released a whole bunch of minor leaguers. However, I did a control test using the quickstart without making a single change to any 40 man roster and the same exact teams ended up releasing the same whole bunch of minor leaguers. So, I can conclude from that that those moves were because those teams just had too many players in the minors to begin with.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #314
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm happy to have a reasonable discussion about this, but only if we can dispense with the ridiculous hyperbole. The game is hardly 'making a mockery of 40-man rosters'.

Quote:
Also, MLB rules state that a player can't be placed on the 60 day DL unless the 40 man roster is filled.
OOTP doesn't observe that rule. Many users likely won't be familiar with those technicalities, and I don't see how gameplay would be improved if that technicality were modeled in OOTP.

Quote:
This, though, is exactly the problem with filling up 40-man rosters for no particular purpose. For one, if an AI team's 40-man is full, that prevents the AI from adding players, in, say, the Rule 5 draft. And if having a full 40-man makes AI teams more reluctant to put in waiver claims (since they can't just add players 'for free') that opens up a user exploit: you can waive anyone you want and not worry about losing the guy.

And importantly, if you let the AI randomly fill up its 40-man, there will often be situations where the 'extra' players on an AI team's 40-man are a mix of useful insurance types, and prospects with good potential who aren't close to being ready. An AI team trying to win shouldn't be waiving its depth, but no AI team should ever be waiving good (or even half-good) prospects either. You may not be familiar with the history of this issue in OOTP, but when the AI just filled its 40-man for no reason, it often later waived moderately decent prospects if the AI was trying to 'win now'. That happened especially often with draft picks who had signed MLB contracts.

Quote:
And, if the AI is putting lots of good players on waivers to create 40 man roster spots, then there is something wrong with the AI.
There *is* something wrong with the AI; it's a computer AI. It's not as smart as a person. But we can at least get the AI to do the basic things a human GM would do. No human GM just randomly adds people to the 40-man roster without having a good reason for doing so. The AI shouldn't do that either.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #315
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I'm happy to have a reasonable discussion about this, but only if we can dispense with the ridiculous hyperbole. The game is hardly 'making a mockery of 40-man rosters'.
There are more than 200 spots on 40 man rosters throughout the majors that are unfilled by OOTP. That's a mockery, whether it's called that or not.

Quote:
This, though, is exactly the problem with filling up 40-man rosters for no particular purpose. For one, if an AI team's 40-man is full, that prevents the AI from adding players, in, say, the Rule 5 draft. And if having a full 40-man makes AI teams more reluctant to put in waiver claims (since they can't just add players 'for free') that opens up a user exploit: you can waive anyone you want and not worry about losing the guy.
In past versions, I never saw teams not making Rule 5 draft choices because the game started off with real life 40 man rosters.

In terms of your last point here, every day, I note transactions reports in my daily around the majors baseball emails. After years of doing so, it's clear that most players who are dropped from the 40 man roster do end up staying with the team dropping him. Not all. But, a clear majority do.

So, having the odds in favor of retaining a waived player isn't an exploit. It's baseball being baseball.

Quote:
And importantly, if you let the AI randomly fill up its 40-man, there will often be situations where the 'extra' players on an AI team's 40-man are a mix of useful insurance types, and prospects with good potential who aren't close to being ready. An AI team trying to win shouldn't be waiving its depth, but no AI team should ever be waiving good (or even half-good) prospects either. You may not be familiar with the history of this issue in OOTP, but when the AI just filled its 40-man for no reason, it often later waived moderately decent prospects if the AI was trying to 'win now'. That happened especially often with draft picks who had signed MLB contracts.
I am not suggesting that the 40 man rosters be randomly filled. I am saying that, if you purport to have accurate rosters, then that entails having the proper 40 man rosters. For example, there are 7 players who need to be added to the Yankees's 40 man roster, there are 13 who need to be added to the Angels, etc.

They don't needed to be added "without having a good reason for doing so." The fact that they are on the 40 man roster is in itself a good reason.

The whole point of me randomly putting players on the 40 man roster wasn't because I was saying that was what the AI should do. It was simply to test out the argument that bad things happen on the 1st day of the season when 40 man rosters are filled. I tried testing that hypothesis and, unless 1 player in the major leagues being placed on waivers in a day is a bad thing, the hypothesis failed.

Last edited by nyy26wc; 05-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #316
Echidna
Bat Boy

Just to add to the Magglio Ordonez confusion; I have him in my game as David Maes. After editing to correct his name he disappears.
Echidna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #317
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

A huge huge fan of the guy, so this is pretty tough to post, but Roy Halladay is grossly overrated. Over his last 190+ IP, Halladay has:
A FB that sits 88-89 MPH, a GB% of around 45%, 53 walks, 167 K's, 8.8 H/9, 188 hits given up, an ERA of 5.25, a WHIP of about 1.26
There are other stats I could post, but you get the picture.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #318
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
A huge huge fan of the guy, so this is pretty tough to post, but Roy Halladay is grossly overrated. Over his last 190+ IP, Halladay has:
A FB that sits 88-89 MPH, a GB% of around 45%, 53 walks, 167 K's, 8.8 H/9, 188 hits given up, an ERA of 5.25, a WHIP of about 1.26
There are other stats I could post, but you get the picture.
You are using his horrible stats from this year as part of your argument. The player ratings are based on 2013 PECOTA projections, not what happened after the season started.
Pacoheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #319
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoheadley View Post
The player ratings are based on 2013 PECOTA projections, not what happened after the season started.
Yeah. So there's only so much we can do with the MLB players since we're using the PECOTA ratings. I can adjust his velocity and gb rate if needed. I'll look into him a little more and see if we should make any needed changes.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #320
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoheadley View Post
You are using his horrible stats from this year as part of your argument. The player ratings are based on 2013 PECOTA projections, not what happened after the season started.
I'm using his last 190+ innings pitched which include ALL OF LAST YEAR, and his stats thus far this year. I would never base any player analysis on only his stats for the first month of the season, but if they match favorably with his stats from last season(the rate stats) then sooner or later it becomes a matter of you are who your stats say you are. He's not the same pitcher, not even close and that's a fact. Whether or not anything is changed in the game is irrelevant, I was just pointing the facts out.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote