Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Historical Exhibition sub-forum

Should there be a sub-forum for the Historical Exhibition posts
It would be nice to see post of everybody's Historical Exhibition posts & screen shots in 1 place.
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

How about the Historical Simulations forum?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
How about the Historical Simulations forum?
I agree. Would love to see more posting in that forum.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Finally stumbled across this feature last night and really fell down a wormhole with it. It's slightly addictive. I was up until 5:00 AM.

I built a 64 team tournament with it in honour of the NCAA tournament (before it expanded to whatever the heck it is now). In order to qualify for it, teams had to have a run differential of +200 or greater in the seasons they played. There are 91 such teams from 1901 through 2015. I ranked them from 1 through 91 using Pythagorean Winning Percentage, which is:

runs scored^2/(runs scored^2+runs allowed^2)

...and took the top 64 teams. 15 Yankee teams made it into the top 64 (there were 23 in the top 91, that's a little more than one quarter of them - Geez). I'm not a Yankee fan, I'm a Blue Jay fan, I just went by the numbers. Unfortunately for me, the 2015 Blue Jays (who were my only chance for representation) finished #72 and thus failed to qualify for the tournament.

Obviously not every one of these teams finished in the roses in their respective seasons, but every one of them were dominant over the course of a 140, 154, or 162 game schedule, and that's what I was looking for. I'm running seven game series (which I sim - no time to play them out as I want to get through it in a reasonable amount of time) for each matchup, and recording the result, and MVP in a spreadsheet. No screenies to show because I'm just trying to get through the darn thing. I'll probably post something in Historical Simulations about it when I get around to it.

For now, I'll just say that the #1 seed the 1906 Cubs (with an amazing 704 runs scored and just 381 allowed) has already fallen to the #64 seed, the 1928 Athletics in the first round, despite having home field advantage and a settings advantage (I used 1906 settings because they were the favourite). They fell 4-2 with Lefty Grove picking up MVP honours for the victorious Athletics in the series. All three deadball era teams have fallen so far (1906 Cubs, 1904 Giants, and 1901 Pirates) in the top quarter of the draw, despite being favoured. It's tough for them to keep up with their live ball era combatants.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-25-2016 at 12:20 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Very cool idea. Keep us posted!
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

I also have to admit how addicting this feature is. I've found myself playing it more and more.

I've started a dynasty report using the Historical Exhibition mode - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ou-re-out.html -for a tournament of sorts, starting with the World Series replays, and adding in some additional teams that never made it to the World Series. Once a team loses three series they're out until the last team is standing. I'm having quite a bit of fun just making my way through the first round now.

I can't think of another feature where I've though "That sounds ok" that's totally sucked me in like Historical Exhibitions has.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
I also have to admit how addicting this feature is. I've found myself playing it more and more.
My name is AJ and I'm an OOTP historical exhibition mode addict...
Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Finally a Yankee team gets knocked out. Now only 14 remain, of 48 teams still standing. Of course it took another Yankee team to knock them out, as the 1932 Yankees toppled the 1953 Yankees 4 games to 2.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Not gonna lie it was a dream
Come true having the 1984 Padres vs the 1998 Padres

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Created a thread in the Historical Simulations sub-forum here for this tournament. I'll be posting as I go. Probably no screenshots until the Sweet Sixteen or so.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Iv'e done 2014 Royals versus 2015 Royals but aren't their World Series Rosters from that year and if we're would expand League to include other past World Series Teams and would like those Teams Minor League Teams to.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Iv'e done 2014 Royals versus 2015 Royals but aren't their World Series Rosters from that year and if we're would expand League to include other past World Series Teams and would like those Teams Minor League Teams to.
The historical exhibition mode has every player that played on a team in the majors only that year. I would think it would be far too complicated to bring minor leaguers into it. After all, it is an exhibition mode between major league teams.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Yes but for Royals like Ben Zobrist missing from 2015 Team.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Yes but for Royals like Ben Zobrist missing from 2015 Team.
Shouldn't be. Randy "Big Unit" Johnson was on the 1998 Astros when I used them in my historical exhibition mode tournament, and he was traded from the Mariners mid-season that year. If Zobrist is missing (only from the exhibition mode because IRL he started with the Athletics in 2015, so he should be with Oakland if you start a historical game in 2015), you should report it in the bug reports.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #15
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
It would be nice to see post of everybody's Historical Exhibition posts & screen shots in 1 place.
Definitely needed. This is a great overdue addition.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #16
phillsphan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
This sounds like a great idea
phillsphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #17
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I am a Yankees fan but I would have expected the 1953 Dodgers to have knocked the 1953 Yankees out of the tournament. That Dodgers team was one of the greatest ever but lost the Series in real life 4-3. Are the 1962 Giants and 1962 Dodgers in the competition?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #18
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I am a Yankees fan but I would have expected the 1953 Dodgers to have knocked the 1953 Yankees out of the tournament. That Dodgers team was one of the greatest ever but lost the Series in real life 4-3. Are the 1962 Giants and 1962 Dodgers in the competition?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would not only want a sub forum, I'd like one post showing historical tournament champions.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote