Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #21
nickwatic
Minors (Double A)

Just noticed there's only 5 bronze tournaments up. One is a weekly in 4 days, another is a daily in 15 hours. Then the other 2 are 64 teams (which sim 30 mins) and then the super big that takes nearly a day to complete. nothing quick for lower end teams but there are so many random formats for Open Tournaments

nickwatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #22
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

>1) Maybe too many tournaments are available, too much choice.

can get a bit overwhelming if you have everything pulled up and try to scroll through looking for one to join... though if one issue here is there are too many choices and it takes too long to completely fill tourneys, perhaps setting the default sort to %filled to show the ones that only need 1 or 2 teams to kick off at the top would help (granted it's already a choice in the sort drop down, but sometimes the obvious isn't always so )

>2) Quick tournaments should not be bigger than 32 teams.

or perhaps keep the quick tourneys with 64 or more teams limited to just one available for each (i.e. one with 64, one with 128) as a one-and-done (no B03/5/7), and just vary the format of eligible cards. so a quick-64-team-bronze-only-DoD tourney is the only Q-64 available until it kicks off, then a Q-64-live-only-DoD shows up... (might be easier said than done, but never hurts to toss out ideas).

>3) The big tournaments (64+ ) should be Daily or Weekly tournaments, scattered throughout the day.

and perhaps make it so they kick off as soon as they are filled? Signed up for a daily iron-only tourney yesterday morning and it was completely full with 12 hours to go on the counter. Unless it's a bandwidth/processing issue with the servers, couldn't that just kick off and start when all slots are claimed? Might also give an extra incentive to sign up for those sooner than later (if that's the only tourney for the day/week of that type and it will kick off as soon as it's full, more players might sign up right away versus tying up 1 or more of their 3 slots on a tourney that still has 12 hours-to-5 days remaining before it starts.)

>4) Sim interval after the first sim should be 10 minutes across the board, otherwise big tournaments take too long.

can't argue with that one... near-instant gratification is always a plus
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #23
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hey guys,

I'd like to hear your feedback on available tournament types please. Are there too many? Which ones work well, which don't? Which are interesting and fun, which aren't? How about capped tournaments, which cap values are good etc?

So far my takeaway is:
1) Maybe too many tournaments are available, too much choice.
2) Quick tournaments should not be bigger than 32 teams.
3) The big tournaments (64+ ) should be Daily or Weekly tournaments, scattered throughout the day.
4) Sim interval after the first sim should be 10 minutes across the board, otherwise big tournaments take too long.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback! So far we're very happy, and we're well on track to launch the feature (plus another required patch) on Monday!

Markus
Maybe a few too many but perhaps with a little more time it will be clear which ones aren't popular enough to keep running.

The salary caps are good too, maybe some players don't feel like sorting out their rosters for a tournament on a scale that way, I'm not sure. An alternative might be limits like 3 perfects, 3 diamonds, 9 gold, 9 silver/broze etc.

Maybe after 3-4 weeks of beta you can sort of weed out 10-40% of them & continue running the ones that players take to.

Personally I like all of the variety & like tournaments that are 8, 16 or 32 teams plus 64 or 128 once in awhile with the rounds being at least a best of 5 in part so that you can possibly go through a traditional 5-man rotation at least once...sort of rotation vs. rotation.

One tournament that is as big as possible weekly maybe might be fun. Say 256 teams...Maybe even 512 or 1024.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #24
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Caps tournament

Oh and I have the idea of some smaller 8-32/64 team CAP tournaments with rather large caps but just to keep rosters from being perfect...

Like 2400 or 2350 total points for a 25-man roster. (2200+)

Also consider maybe reduced 19-24 man rosters for tournaments...

You often don't need more than 19 players in some configurations.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
JKap
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Great work by adding tournaments - the number of choices and structure of joining and forming a roster is well done.

I expect that after then initial enthusiasm, participation will settle down so the number of choices can be reduced and simplified rather than a shotgun approach. I suggest starting with a core group of tournament formats (e.g 12 to 15 different formats) that we can try out and learn from. I expect after a few rounds in a given format players will have a better understanding of the adjustments that can be made to improve outcomes.

The early focus is to ensure participation and grow the number of teams joining. Over time, tournament formats can be expanded and specials added to increase choices.

Increasing the base of 200 Active cards on the core roster to a substantially higher number would also help in constructing rosters for different tournament formats.

Last edited by JKap; 11-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.
JKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #26
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
Why would someone bother putting in the PP to put together a diamond tourney team when they can get the same rewards for a bronze tourney team at a much smaller investment meaning higher ROI?

Also there need to be more diamond pack rewards rather than SE cards to try to keep the AH filled, right now collections are basically stagnant b/c of bottleneck diamond cards that only show up on the AH once a month. If you just start giving away the SE cards, why would anyone bother doing the collections at all unless you happen to be pulling 500 packs regardless and get the cards you need by accident?
There's plenty incentive to collect good cards for Perfect Team, anyway.
Maybe slightly less if you can win bronze tournaments with big prizes...but I don't see too many players being overly frugal to ONLY win bronze tournaments...really.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #27
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

I would like to see a "historical + cap" tournament. I've joined four historical tournaments since the beta went live and was quite disappointed each time to see a large percentage of the rosters being made up of 90+ and Perfect cards.

It would be great for those of us who don't have such gifted squads to also have somewhere we can be competitive, and the caps would allow for that.

Caps, incidentally, are something I'd very much like to see ported back into regular PT.

micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
StatMan22
Minors (Single A)

I agree with most of what's posted here, particularly: too many live-only tournaments, takes too long for some tournaments to fill up, shorter time intervals. Would also love tournaments with a cap at 2,000+ PP rather than only 1,750 and lower.

Regarding rewards-Packs vs PP... I think rewards shouldn't be mixed-a tournament should strictly reward Packs OR PP. People value Packs vs PP differently-most seem to prefer PP. For my main team, I prefer Packs, because I've bought basically the best team I can afford as an FTP'er. Packs give me that outside chance at a truly great card. So I'd take 5 packs over 3k PP. But for my Cubs theme team, packs are basically useless, so I'd rather have the PP. Having a choice between Packs and PP would be nice.

StatMan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #29
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Yep that makes sense. 3000 points is definitely better than 5 packs to me given that they are overpriced and have an EV around half their cost. For me if I open one live gold out of them I'd be shocked.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #30
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Yep that makes sense. 3000 points is definitely better than 5 packs to me given that they are overpriced and have an EV around half their cost. For me if I open one live gold out of them I'd be shocked.
Well, maybe you just have bad karma....
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #31
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep it coming!!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #32
Magus978
All Star Starter

I'd like to see the quickie events go off at the top of every hour if there are at least half the spots filled. That way a spot isn't taken up all day in people's maximum allowed entries at one time if people aren't joining in droves.

Other than that, my only other complaint is that I haven't won one yet. Thank you Markus and everyone at OOTPD for the hard work done to bring tournaments to us.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Really? Interesting... I am not sure the 30$ comparison makes sense though, the things you can do with PP are quite limited... either buy packs or use it in the AH. I would always take the 5 packs.

But then again, that 3k should probably be 2k
I agree with Dogberry 3K is better than 5 regular packs. 3 regular packs are also better than 1 gold pack. If you're giving away lottery tickets, I prefer 15 to 5, the guaranteed cards being irrelevant. I'd recommend not mixing reward types in any event. All packs (of the same type) or all points. Special edition card awards should be unique to tournaments, not borrowed from collections.

An example of grossly unbalanced reward is to compare the 32 RR with the 16 RR. The 32 pays out the top two, the 16 the top 4. The 16 pays out points, the 32 the dreaded regular pack and a mere 250 points for 2nd (Even though if I had got this far in a 16 I would have won 500). Seeing as how I could play in 3 16's while waiting for the 32 to fill why would I enter the 32?
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #34
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

This might have been mentioned already, but if a tournament with a set time has filled entirely it should start immediately.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Special edition card awards should be unique to tournaments, not borrowed from collections.
As a victim of the Combining Babe scam, I strongly agree with this statement.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #36
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
This does seem reasonable.

At the end of the day if you are putting a 5 million point team in an open tournament the difference between a 2500 or 1000 PP first prize is pretty irrelevant.

I’d like the ability to create my own tournament at a cost of PP and have an invitation only private. Also would like tournaments that costs PP to enter and rewards disbursed at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
daves
Hall Of Famer

Currently I only saw 2 Diamond or lower tournaments. Please add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #38
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
There's plenty incentive to collect good cards for Perfect Team, anyway.
Maybe slightly less if you can win bronze tournaments with big prizes...but I don't see too many players being overly frugal to ONLY win bronze tournaments...really.
Well, you can only enter 3 tourneys at a time. This encourages specialization. if the rewards are similar at each level, why not specialize at the cheapest level if they all have equal payouts?
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #39
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Need more iron tournaments.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #40
sharpk23
Minors (Single A)

My thoughts:

1) Maybe too many tournaments are available, too much choice.

I agree with having too many tournaments available especially when a new one becomes available for a lot of them once it is filled.

2) Quick tournaments should not be bigger than 32 teams.

Totally agree that quick tournaments should not be more than 32 teams

3) The big tournaments (64+ ) should be Daily or Weekly tournaments, scattered throughout the day.

I agree on the bigger daily and weekly tournaments. However I would like to see a little more variety on the weekly tournaments such as a Diamond and below tournament (currently only see Gold, Silver, and Bronze Weekly big tournaments). Would also like to see a little more variety with salary cap tournaments such as a 2000 and below cap/1800 and below cap/etc which would make for some pretty good strategies between diamonds/golds and golds/silver for some people. Also reward wise I would like to see some of the once a week bigger tournaments such as Diamond and below, gold and below, silver and below, salary cap big tournament have nice unique card rewards like the current Ted Simmons tournament (since that is a unique card). Maybe we could have some other nice reward cards that aren't SE cards such as maybe having some more unique players. I feel like the SE cards should be unique to the tournaments. Maybe have new SE cards for the bigger tournaments and other regular cards as prizes for some of the other nice tournaments (such as 98 Cap Anson, 89 Greg Maddux, etc).

4) Sim interval after the first sim should be 10 minutes across the board, otherwise big tournaments take too long.

I agree on the 10 minute sim across the board on tournaments.