Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #101
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Out of the Park Baseball Manual
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #102
NYM Fan 31
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Yeah, I've seen that. And I know how to use the settings pretty well. But I don't see the "check box" you were referring to.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #103
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

There isn't a check box...you set the ratings field to zero
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #104
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYM Fan 31 View Post
Yeah, I've seen that. And I know how to use the settings pretty well. But I don't see the "check box" you were referring to.
Under Global Settings. Check "ratings based on AI evaluation"..
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #105
NYM Fan 31
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
Under Global Settings. Check "ratings based on AI evaluation"..
Oh, I see. Thank you. With no ratings, why would I need to check that though?

That's the only thing I was confused about. So far, I'm liking it better.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #106
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Oh, I see. Thank you. With no ratings, why would I need to check that though?

That's the only thing I was confused about. So far, I'm liking it better.
If it's unchecked, the player evaluation is 100% based on ratings. So even if the AI settings are set to 0 ratings, the ratings will be taken into account. If it's checked, the player evaluation will include stats, and it'll use the AI setting numbers (0/50/30/20), which will not include ratings.

At least that's the way I understand it from the description of this setting in the game.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #107
progen
All Star Starter

Been playing this game forever, and tried every which way to play, and every time I come back and start a new solo league, it's stats only. Star ratings, and showing the numbers for players just didn't keep me interested, but hey, that's just me.

Hey, to each his own, but my attention span is about that of my four year old grandson, so I used to get bored fast with ratings, stars, etc. But I will say that playing "stats only" has kept my attention through many seasons. And if you take your time, and track the players that you draft, your international signings, review and track those players in your feeder leagues that interest you, it is really fun to see how good your "gut" feeling was on a player. After four or five seasons, how is that player progressing. Are you ready to give up on him, and will that come back to bite you? And goes without saying that you always play fictional.

At the same time, the other "challenging" way I've found to play the game, is to continuously year in and year out, have the lowest, or nearly the lowest payroll. Be the next Billy Beane, or be like the Astros. Do you have the patience to see your "frugal" ways pay off? And most of the time, I play seasons without making any trades at all, or maybe just one, and generally for some minor leaguers at the AA or AAA level. I really want to see how far my team can go this way. Just my two cents, and again, there are so many different ways to enjoy this game. I've really enjoyed reading this post. Great thing is, after all these years, I'm still learning different ways to play, and enjoy the game.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #108
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Look at the screenshot in the manual link I posted. Second check box from the left bottom.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #109
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC1878 View Post
If it's unchecked, the player evaluation is 100% based on ratings. So even if the AI settings are set to 0 ratings, the ratings will be taken into account. If it's checked, the player evaluation will include stats, and it'll use the AI setting numbers (0/50/30/20), which will not include ratings.

At least that's the way I understand it from the description of this setting in the game.
You are correct, and thank you.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #110
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Stats only removes a lot of the wonky AI behavior. If a player doesn't produce, he is not valued, no matter what his ratings might be. Likewise, as long as an older player is still producing, he will still be valued.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #111
kmoser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've seen people say that you should play fictional games with your feeder leagues. I don't like to play fictional, I like playing as the MLB, so do feeder leagues work well in an MLB QuickStart?
kmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #112
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser View Post
I've seen people say that you should play fictional games with your feeder leagues. I don't like to play fictional, I like playing as the MLB, so do feeder leagues work well in an MLB QuickStart?
Yes. But the feeder would be all fictional players eventually unless you have players being drafted from a real life db
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #113
kmoser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Yes. But the feeder would be all fictional players eventually unless you have players being drafted from a real life db

Ok that's totally fine with me. I was just wondering since a lot of people say they just do fictional games with them.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #114
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

My question with all of this: if a highly touted prospect is struggling, doesn't it become much easier to grab him via trade?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #115
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
My question with all of this: if a highly touted prospect is struggling, doesn't it become much easier to grab him via trade?
Since your scouting should be set to below average accuracy, are you going to trust a scouting report over proven production? Feel free. Nine times out of ten you're going to get your ass handed to you doing that.

Are all of these questions really serious, or are you just trolling us?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #116
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you're going to do a stats only MLB league, about the only way to make it work is to set up your league and feeders and quick sim ahead about ten years or so before you actually start playing it.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #117
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since your scouting should be set to below average accuracy, are you going to trust a scouting report over proven production? Feel free. Nine times out of ten you're going to get your ass handed to you doing that.

Are all of these questions really serious, or are you just trolling us?
No...I am just curious about different aspects of this style of play......sorry if it's so offensive to you
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #118
kmoser
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
If you're going to do a stats only MLB league, about the only way to make it work is to set up your league and feeders and quick sim ahead about ten years or so before you actually start playing it.

I trust what you are saying, but why do I have to sim that far ahead?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:19 AM   #119
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm no stats-only expert, but i'd say it would be to remove most of your preconceptions regarding existing players (as they'll be retired, or 10 years further along the career curve than today), and to give you enough stats to work with for the majors, minors and feeder leagues.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:20 AM   #120
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because otherwise you will have foreknowledge of player ability, which defeats the entire purpose of stats only.

A way to get around that is to use a MAL league - an MLB setup with fictional players.