Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Morty Ruth
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have been doing the same thing since OOTP 5, playing out most individual games, pitch by pitch (although the early versions of the game did not have pitch-by-pitch, if I remember correctly). If the game is a blowout, I will sim by half innings, but will always go back to pitch-by-pitch at the top of the 8th.

I just have more fun doing this, due to the attention to detail in the game. Last week for example, in a 1963 historical replay, I was at a game in Dodger Stadium for a Koufax start, and I was basically on the edge of my seat through seven innings of no-hit ball from him, until it was finally broken up by a line drive double to the left field gap by Gordy Coleman. It was a beautiful game, final score 1-0 LA, and I was intently immersed in it.

Maybe it's just a good feeling to see old warrior-heros come to life again.
Morty Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #22
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Noah, welcome to OOTP! Please disregard louisvillec271 and others that get on their high horse when simple questions are asked. I personally hate the "it's your game, play how you want" response.

First, I try to get to the draft as soon as possible. So i'll quick sim to the day the draft list come out. Then, I tend to sim a day at a time by just clicking the Check mark while watching the stats. I'll stop when I notice a problem or get a personal message. After every month I will conduct a full evaluation of the state of my team. I'll make moves and so forth.

I usually play out maybe 10 - 20 games a year. I'm more interested in managing my system rather than a single team. That's what I pay my manager for.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Morty Ruth
Minors (Rookie Ball)

See, I think you may have actually asked quite a productive question. Each individual GM or manager approaches the question of play very differently, and some of us might get stuck in a bit of a rut over the course of a decade, then read someone else's suggestion, and learn a bit.
Morty Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

I strongly encourage people to ask even seemingly redundant questions, for 2 reasons.

1. it's one thing to read information, it's quite another to have human interaction

2. as I tried to explain in an essay I wrote for class just the other day, OOTP has something akin to a sum greater than it's parts. this place can be like a major airport hotel bar, except we all have at least one thing in common.

anyway,

I am a hy-brid & like a hy-brid if I sim or play out (one pitch mode) depends on the exact situation but there are a few rules of thumb. I play out more games early in the season. as the dog days of summer sets in I have a tendency to sim more often, picking and choosing my play-out spots. as September rolls around I start playing-out more games either getting ready for the playoffs or looking at young guys for next season.

and oddly enough, i also sim more often the better my team/starter is

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 10-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Noah, welcome to OOTP! Please disregard louisvillec271 and others that get on their high horse when simple questions are asked. I personally hate the "it's your game, play how you want" response.

First, I try to get to the draft as soon as possible. So i'll quick sim to the day the draft list come out. Then, I tend to sim a day at a time by just clicking the Check mark while watching the stats. I'll stop when I notice a problem or get a personal message. After every month I will conduct a full evaluation of the state of my team. I'll make moves and so forth.

I usually play out maybe 10 - 20 games a year. I'm more interested in managing my system rather than a single team. That's what I pay my manager for.
Thank you for the kind welcoming, I think my plan as of right now is probably to play 1 game out of every series, i like this suggestion though its a good idea I'll definitely test it out in a practice world!

Twittah
Youtube
Noah2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #26
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

That's my suggestion!! That's my suggestion!! That's my suggestion!! Hahahahahahahaha I'm the weiner!!

Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
That's my suggestion!! That's my suggestion!! That's my suggestion!! Hahahahahahahaha I'm the weiner!!

haha! And thanks for the welcoming to the forum I've downloaded lots of your logos i'm setting up a world with the PBA and the MLB so your logos,jerseys etc. are coming in handy I also found the "Fast food wars" pretty comical keep up the good work!

Twittah
Youtube

Last edited by Noah2198; 10-12-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #28
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Peters, my response was posed in that fashion due to the fact that he very clearly had a different objective in mind when he posted the thread. His main intention was to garner some type of admiration of what he had "accomplished" with the team he had taken control of, the Marlins. If he was simply interested in gaining knowledge of other people's preferences then he would have just done a search on the subject and he would have found plenty of responses to satisfy his curiosity. Instead he posted the question, then went on to pose another question to the forum which was something along the lines of, "what's the best you've ever transformed a team"? He posted screen shots of the team complete which showed a team that appeared to be stacked. Basically, he was looking for forum members responses to be, wow what a great job you did with the Marlins you're a tremendous GM. So, I asked some questions which were fairly basic and straightforward to give him the opportunity to be honest with the forum. And well, he didn't do that.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillec271 View Post
Peters, my response was posed in that fashion due to the fact that he very clearly had a different objective in mind when he posted the thread. His main intention was to garner some type of admiration of what he had "accomplished" with the team he had taken control of, the Marlins. If he was simply interested in gaining knowledge of other people's preferences then he would have just done a search on the subject and he would have found plenty of responses to satisfy his curiosity. Instead he posted the question, then went on to pose another question to the forum which was something along the lines of, "what's the best you've ever transformed a team"? He posted screen shots of the team complete which showed a team that appeared to be stacked. Basically, he was looking for forum members responses to be, wow what a great job you did with the Marlins you're a tremendous GM. So, I asked some questions which were fairly basic and straightforward to give him the opportunity to be honest with the forum. And well, he didn't do that.
You're lucky your job isn't running this forum you definitely wouldn't get many good reviews if thats how you treat all new people!

Showing off my team? Hmm, or maybe since I was new to the forums I wanted to see what some other people have done with teams so I showed what I did? Common sense buddy how about you take the approach of others on this forum and instead of being the "D-Bag" from the start try welcoming players instead of attacking them for asking a bit of a "repetitive" question which they wouldn't know because they are NEW to the forum. Grow up and learn some manners! And to keep you from whining even more i'll answer your questions.

Quote:
Why did you create a new thread to ask this question, when you could have done a simple search and found an existing thread dedicated to this topic?

Why are you seeking this answer to begin with? Shouldn't you play the game in a manner which provides the most enjoyment, that suits your preferences?

Why is it important to you how other people play the game? Will the responses given by forum members shape or alter the way in which you play?
1. I'm trying to a conversation, I don't even know how to do a search because I've never used a forum before instead of jumping all over me it would of been nice if you could of told theres a search tool and how to use it, You can't just assume everybody is a "tech" guy.

2/3. (Since you asked the same question twice but reworded) Yes others answers will help me I was searching for a good way to play the game thats the most effective to your team, and maybe the changes that you'd miss out on if you just sim every game. For ex. If your a QB on a football team and you like to tuck and run a lot thats great but its not whats most effective compared to staying in the pocket and passing. so I was wondering strategies on the best way to run your team because there all "fun" to me I wanted to know if there was a best way to run your team.

Twittah
Youtube
Old 10-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah2198 View Post
You're lucky your job isn't running this forum you definitely wouldn't get many good reviews if thats how you treat all new people!

Showing off my team? Hmm, or maybe since I was new to the forums I wanted to see what some other people have done with teams so I showed what I did? Common sense buddy how about you take the approach of others on this forum and instead of being the "D-Bag" from the start try welcoming players instead of attacking them for asking a bit of a "repetitive" question which they wouldn't know because they are NEW to the forum. Grow up and learn some manners! And to keep you from whining even more i'll answer your questions.

1. I'm trying to a conversation, I don't even know how to do a search because I've never used a forum before instead of jumping all over me it would of been nice if you could of told theres a search tool and how to use it, You can't just assume everybody is a "tech" guy.

2/3. (Since you asked the same question twice but reworded) Yes others answers will help me I was searching for a good way to play the game thats the most effective to your team, and maybe the changes that you'd miss out on if you just sim every game. For ex. If your a QB on a football team and you like to tuck and run a lot thats great but its not whats most effective compared to staying in the pocket and passing. so I was wondering strategies on the best way to run your team because there all "fun" to me I wanted to know if there was a best way to run your team.
*Sigh* Your response, which is laden with vitriol and virulence only confirms what I had initially suspected to begin with. In any case, you claim that since you are new to the forums you did not know how to conduct a search on the forum. I don't buy this. To say this is to also say that this is the first forum you are a part of, because virtually every forum that exists on the internet has a search feature to assist with combing through the forum for certain topics. Also, you elected to resort to name calling and to me this is just expressing your ire with the fact that I touched upon your real intent of the thread, which was to garner admiration from the forum members by exhibiting your team replete with all star caliber players.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
*Sigh* Your response, which is laden with vitriol and virulence only confirms what I had initially suspected to begin with. In any case, you claim that since you are new to the forums you did not know how to conduct a search on the forum. I don't buy this. To say this is to also say that this is the first forum you are a part of, because virtually every forum that exists on the internet has a search feature to assist with combing through the forum for certain topics. Also, you elected to resort to name calling and to me this is just expressing your ire with the fact that I touched upon your real intent of the thread, which was to garner admiration from the forum members by exhibiting your team replete with all star caliber players.
I'm trying to learn the game and engage in conversation. Not really show off.

Twittah
Youtube

Last edited by Noah2198; 10-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah2198 View Post
Yep, I wanted to "Garner admiration" its incredible how insulted you are by somebody elses post if you don't like it get off it nobody asked you to waste away your time here complaining, I'm trying to learn the game and engage in conversation with others who have learned the game and been playing for a while, you're the only one being rude here. You must of been the odd kid out at recess everyday when you were younger.

And I don't mean to attack you but refer to Honorable Pawns original post and it describes everything!
Bro, this is not the way to introduce yourself to the forum. You're upset about this but then you conduct a personal attack? I mean, if you wanted to show off your team, then you could have made a separate thread. You didn't need to post it inside a question which gets asked once a week on this forum.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

It's unfair to assume his intent was to "show off". Even if that were the case, he's a new user. Why hassle him? Is it that big a deal? The first two responses he received were just unduly aggressive. I don't blame him at all for losing his cool a little. If my earliest posts were received in a similar manner, I don't think I would have returned to this forum. That would have been a shame, because I have learned a lot and found new ways to play OOTP. This forum has greatly enhanced my experience, but it does sometimes suffer from a weird elitism.

Now, all that said, I do find it dubious that a poster can figure out how to display an avatar, a signature, and images within a post, but is not familiar with search functions. I guess I just don't care that much, even if he did have an ulterior motive. He's trying to start a conversation, and I am amenable. He's a dude who digs baseball and video games and that's pretty much good enough for me. Same goes for all of you. I can't afford to alienate anyone I can talk to about OOTP.
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

The negative responses here are laughable . Who cares if he wants to show off his team. Isn't that part of the reason these boards are here? To talk about what we've done.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #35
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Yep.

There was no point in me posting that poll about the guy trying to get to 50 HR's either. Why did I? Because I felt like it. 'Nuff said.

Lastly, I know how difficult it can be to remain polite and calm but it is absolutely necessary if we are to remain civil. Name calling because someone is less than friendly is not the answer either.

Either way, I have been in both shoes so who am I to talk?
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #36
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The negative responses here are laughable . Who cares if he wants to show off his team. Isn't that part of the reason these boards are here? To talk about what we've done.
It draws the ire of some people because most don't consider anything he did with that team anywhere near "legitimate" or any kind of real challenge at all.

Anyone can turn trading draft picks on and continue dumping them on the CPU until they say yes to pretty much ANY deal in submission.

There still shouldn't be name-calling on either side... I edited my initial post in this thread because I called him bush-league. Even if we think that way, we all need to maintain respect for each other.

Last edited by jaysdailydose; 10-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #37
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
For me i sim all games exept 1) All-Star Game, 2) Series with my one main rival 3) play-offs including League Association championship if I make it that far

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle View Post
It's unfair to assume his intent was to "show off". Even if that were the case, he's a new user. Why hassle him? Is it that big a deal? The first two responses he received were just unduly aggressive. I don't blame him at all for losing his cool a little. If my earliest posts were received in a similar manner, I don't think I would have returned to this forum. That would have been a shame, because I have learned a lot and found new ways to play OOTP. This forum has greatly enhanced my experience, but it does sometimes suffer from a weird elitism.

Now, all that said, I do find it dubious that a poster can figure out how to display an avatar, a signature, and images within a post, but is not familiar with search functions. I guess I just don't care that much, even if he did have an ulterior motive. He's trying to start a conversation, and I am amenable. He's a dude who digs baseball and video games and that's pretty much good enough for me. Same goes for all of you. I can't afford to alienate anyone I can talk to about OOTP.
Couldn't of said it better, Thanks. And I see the search now. The only time i had ever used a forum before was back when I was in like 3rd grade on a game called "Tremulous". I didn't really remember much of how to use one and it was laid out much different but I figured my way around this one now too.

Twittah
Youtube
Old 10-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #39
Noah2198
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Yep.

There was no point in me posting that poll about the guy trying to get to 50 HR's either. Why did I? Because I felt like it. 'Nuff said.

Lastly, I know how difficult it can be to remain polite and calm but it is absolutely necessary if we are to remain civil. Name calling because someone is less than friendly is not the answer either.

Either way, I have been in both shoes so who am I to talk?
Yeah, it was a little bit uncalled for I'll go edit out the name calling.

Twittah
Youtube
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #40
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
It's amazing how often this question crops up in the forum in new threads. This questions has been posed dozens of times and had returned all types of various answers, which is to be expected.

A few questions...

Why did you create a new thread to ask this question, when you could have done a simple search and found an existing thread dedicated to this topic?

Why are you seeking this answer to begin with? Shouldn't you play the game in a manner which provides the most enjoyment, that suits your preferences?

Why is it important to you how other people play the game? Will the responses given by forum members shape or alter the way in which you play?

I ask these questions because they are questions you probably should have first asked of yourself. I realize that you may find this response to be abrasive, that isn't the intent of the response. I just think it would be a good idea to ask some simple questions to yourself before turning to the forum to initiate some discourse on the topic.
My two cents. If you did not like his thread you should have ignore it, never responded to it and just moved on. He's a member here and has a right to ask questions, and start conversations

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 10-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote