Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #21
gosensgo101
Minors (Triple A)

I usually just edit Beltre's double play rating up a bit once I realize that he's lost his third base rating.
gosensgo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Adrian Beltre has no position rating...

My problem with this is that the AI should list him as a DH (AI never do this) or even 1B if he's in a NL team. If this was an AI team, Beltran most likely would still be listed as a 3rd Baseman despite not having a rating there and would play 3B everyday putting up horrible defensive stats hurting the AI's chances at winning.

I can understand Beltran losing his position rating especially with his age and the fact that he's been injured but the AI needs to make smart position changes.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 09-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
My problem with this is that the AI should list him as a DH (AI never do this) or even 1B if he's in a NL team. If this was an AI team, Beltran most likely would still be listed as a 3rd Baseman despite not having a rating there and would play 3B everyday putting up horrible defensive stats hurting the AI's chances at winning.

I can understand Beltran losing his position rating especially with his age and the fact that he's been injured but the AI needs to make smart position changes.
I really hope Markus see's your post.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Adrian Beltre has no position rating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I really hope Markus see's your post.

I often have to edit aging old infielders who lost all range to either corner OF, DH or 1B otherwise I would run into these problems. Their Zone ratings if left at their original positions would be abysmal.

Or in Beltran's case as he apparently still has his range, his fielding % and efficiency would be horrible.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 09-06-2014 at 01:57 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
KentCol
Minors (Triple A)

Same thing happened to Beltre when I went to 2015 season. He a played the whole 2014 season and had a big year.
KentCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #26
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentCol View Post
Same thing happened to Beltre when I went to 2015 season. He a played the whole 2014 season and had a big year.
It makes no sense since a third baseman could have zero ability at turning the double play and still be a great third baseman.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
But my scout still rates his range and arm quite high. I don't get why he wouldn't still be rated at 3rd. I mean he went from GG caliber 3rd base to unable to play 3rd base in one season?
Whats his DP rating? I had Lando Calrissian in my EBL league and by age 35 he had no rating but still was a serviceable 3B committing only 8 E in his final season. His DP rating had fallen below what was needed even as a 3B but his arm was still a 6 and range was still a 5 or 7 forgot which it was.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Whats his DP rating? I had Lando Calrissian in my EBL league and by age 35 he had no rating but still was a serviceable 3B committing only 8 E in his final season. His DP rating had fallen below what was needed even as a 3B but his arm was still a 6 and range was still a 5 or 7 forgot which it was.
Yes his DP rating dropped to a 1 on a 1-20 scale but third basemen don't turn double plays, they start them so not sure why that rating has any relevance to the position.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #29
Ike348
All Star Starter

It's just a matter of what the "Turn Double Plays" rating actually descibes. IMO, only shortstops/2Bs actually "turn" double plays, but I could see the Turn DP rating for 3B describing his ability to throw to second, not first. It would be silly, but I could see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #30
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I often have to edit aging old infielders who lost all range to either corner OF, DH or 1B otherwise I would run into these problems. Their Zone ratings if left at their original positions would be abysmal.

Or in Beltran's case as he apparently still has his range, his fielding % and efficiency would be horrible.
I feel the need to point out that Adrian Beltre and Carlos Beltran are different people.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #31
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

3B do occasionally need to "turn" a double play in the 2B sense, during infield shifts, but it isn't often enough for a limit to be needed.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
Minors (Double A)

ignore

Last edited by 01010010; 09-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
yabanci
Major Leagues

I've always considered this "no position rating" thing a bug, because it makes no sense. I usually notice it with second basemen.

For example, I have a historical career started in 1946 and now in 1949. Jackie Robinson has no position rating for second base, yet that's where his AI team lists him and plays him.

In the editor, his internal ratings (with max position experience) are:

Infield Range: 123
Infield Error: 58
Infield Arm: 126
Turning Double Plays: 129

Resulting Rating: 106

The fielding results don't seem to be a big disaster despite the lack of positional rating:

1948 ootp: .975 PCT, 5.23 RF
1948 real life: .980 PCT, 6.04 RF

1949 ootp (90 games): .984 PCT, 4.97 RF
1949 real life: .981 PCT, 5.88 RF

My first thought was that maybe his infield error rating of 58 fell below some threshold, but there are other players with lower internal editor error and other defensive ratings who *do* get a position rating, for example:

Frankie Gustine

Infield Range: 97
Infield Error: 56
Infield Arm: 84
Turning Double Plays: 111

Resulting Rating: 74

He gets a second base positional rating of 2 on a 1-5 scale.

It doesn't make sense at all. All of Robinson's internal ratings are higher than Gustine's and both have max experience, yet Gustine gets a positional rating and Robinson doesn't. I have no clue why.

If I change Jackie Robinson's error rating to 200, he still doesn't get a positional rating, though now it occurs to me that if I left the change there perhaps he would get a positional rating when he's rescouted at some point, I don't know.

I noticed this type of thing a few versions back and once had emails back and forth with support about it, but nothing ever came of it.

So to make a long story short, I just ignore it and consider it a bug that's annoying but doesn't seem to have devastating effects on outcomes.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #34
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
I've always considered this "no position rating" thing a bug, because it makes no sense. I usually notice it with second basemen.

For example, I have a historical career started in 1946 and now in 1949. Jackie Robinson has no position rating for second base, yet that's where his AI team lists him and plays him.

In the editor, his internal ratings (with max position experience) are:

Infield Range: 123
Infield Error: 58
Infield Arm: 126
Turning Double Plays: 129

Resulting Rating: 106

The fielding results don't seem to be a big disaster despite the lack of positional rating:

1948 ootp: .975 PCT, 5.23 RF
1948 real life: .980 PCT, 6.04 RF

1949 ootp (90 games): .984 PCT, 4.97 RF
1949 real life: .981 PCT, 5.88 RF

My first thought was that maybe his infield error rating of 58 fell below some threshold, but there are other players with lower internal editor error and other defensive ratings who *do* get a position rating, for example:

Frankie Gustine

Infield Range: 97
Infield Error: 56
Infield Arm: 84
Turning Double Plays: 111

Resulting Rating: 74

He gets a second base positional rating of 2 on a 1-5 scale.

It doesn't make sense at all. All of Robinson's internal ratings are higher than Gustine's and both have max experience, yet Gustine gets a positional rating and Robinson doesn't. I have no clue why.

If I change Jackie Robinson's error rating to 200, he still doesn't get a positional rating, though now it occurs to me that if I left the change there perhaps he would get a positional rating when he's rescouted at some point, I don't know.

I noticed this type of thing a few versions back and once had emails back and forth with support about it, but nothing ever came of it.

So to make a long story short, I just ignore it and consider it a bug that's annoying but doesn't seem to have devastating effects on outcomes.
The reason Jackie didn't get a position rating but Gustine did is because of your scout. The game is programmed to assume that, for example, if your scout says the error rating is under 60 (although I believe it is 50 in the editor), he won't give the player a rating at the position, as a hint not to play him there. That doesn't mean he loses all ability, but your scout believes he would be too much of a hindrance, and scouting inaccuracy is the reason Jackie didn't show up but Gustine did.

Changing the error to 200 didn't do anything because you needed to do a rescout on him afterwords to see the change.

The same holds true for different numbers for range, arm, turn DB, etc., depending on the position. Again, no position rating does NOT always mean they will be a disaster, but it does a decent job of simulating a somewhat fast defensive decline, which does happen in real life occasionally.
Pacoheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #35
yabanci
Major Leagues

Thanks, that sounds like a good and reasonable explanation.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #36
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
FYI

From the manual:

Turn Double Play

Turn Double Play is a measure of how well infielders, pitchers, and catchers can turn infield double plays. Players with high Turn Double Play ratings are more likely to successfully turn double plays when given the opportunity.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
FYI

From the manual:

Turn Double Play

Turn Double Play is a measure of how well infielders, pitchers, and catchers can turn infield double plays. Players with high Turn Double Play ratings are more likely to successfully turn double plays when given the opportunity.
Ok. I understand the term "turn double play" to mean to catch the ball at a base, typically second or home, and then turn and make an accurate, strong throw to first, thus turning the double play. Is that what the game means?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Apparently not. If that was the case then pitchers wouldn't be mentioned.

It looks like they are referring to starting double plays as well.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #39
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Apparently not. If that was the case then pitchers wouldn't be mentioned.

It looks like they are referring to starting double plays as well.
I don't see how the skill of starting a double play is any different than the skill of an infield arm assuming that already incorporates throwing accuracy. It seems like a redundant rating.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I don't see how the skill of starting a double play is any different than the skill of an infield arm assuming that already incorporates throwing accuracy. It seems like a redundant rating.
I think you are over analyzing the situation a bit. There are a couple facts that apply here:

1) Turn DP rating applies to all workings of DPs, not just the middle relay portion. It is less relevant to 3Bs though since the opportunities are lower.
2) The game has threshold for the various ratings to be rated at a position.

Beltre fell below and "lost" his rating. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't play 3B. Heck, Miguel Cabrera played 3B last year. Bobby Bonilla played 3B on a team that won the World Series and he couldn't even bend his knees. It really just means your scout thinks he probably shouldn't play 3B. But you can play him anywhere you want. He might do fine.

It isn't a redundant rating because it still applies to him. If you put him at 2B, he wouldn't be very successful. And at 3B, you won't get many 5-4-3 DPs.

Point is, don't get hung up on the word "turn". It's a DP rating.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote