Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Ootp 2 for me, still have CD, was a front page sports baseball fanatic before that and a mogul player. FPS I feel is the spiritual father of ootp with graphics and Camera angles way back then, there were so many leagues back then. Can't remember how I found out about ootp but vaguely remember seeing a screen shot somewhere. Was fascinated that I could recreate history and loved reading the scouting reports, the financial model and customization. Mogul soon was shelved and been playing ootp since. Strangely I never played ootp 5 or 6 which if I remember I think 6 was a classic version. Ootp 2 still stands the test of time now, though the historical model made a star out of George Zeber and Duster Mails. Fell back in love with the game since 13, around the time I started getting Espn in the UK and following baseball like I did in the 80s as a kid. Ootp only exceeded by football manager as a text SIM in the world.

Last edited by Dr.K; 07-14-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Ootp 2 for me, still have CD, was a front page sports baseball fanatic before that and a mogul player. FPS I feel is the spiritual father of ootp with graphics and Camera angles way back then, there were so many leagues back then. Can't remember how I found out about ootp but vaguely remember seeing a screen shot somewhere. Was fascinated that I could recreate history and loved reading the scouting reports, the financial model and customization. Mogul soon was shelved and been playing ootp since. Strangely I never played ootp 5 or 6. Fell back in love with the game since 13, around the time I started getting Espn in the UK and following baseball like I did in the 80s as a kid. Ootp only exceeded by football manager as a text SIM in the world.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #23
hefalumps
All Star Starter

OOTP5 for me. After the High Heat franchise died, I needed a better baseball sim than most of the console games that were out there. When I was younger I'd gotten my hands on this old text-based baseball sim - I can't even remember what it was called (I want to say Fantom or something like that, but googling it comes back with nothing), but I was hooked. I'd been searching for something like that throughout my teens and twenties but the best I could find was Hardball and High Heat. Then I stumbled upon OOTP - think I actually readabout it on baseballsimcentral (was that the name of the website)? Didn't take long for me to fall in love.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
bosunmate
All Star Starter

I use to play baseball Mogul and Puresim and bought Season Ticket Baseball in 2003 and quickly dropped the other games. It has been a blast watching this game develop over the years. In the early years it was pretty hectic every release year with a lot of problems. But Markus and company have managed some pretty smooth release's in the last few years. I'm 64 this year and hope to be around for many more, I have never missed buying every version since even if the new features don't appeal to me. Being a disabled vet I can say with all honesty that this game got me through some tough nights when pain would keep me from sleeping. So I guess I'm what you could call a fanboy....
bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #25
bosunmate
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Welcome to the forum. Yeah, you're wife is going to be a problem. It's best you get rid of her.

Thanks for the chuckle, (wait you might be serious) hope not I've been married 42 years and I'm kind of stuck on her....
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #26
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
I believe iOOTP12 was my first Out of the park developments game, played it for like a week a lost interest. 2013 rolled around, purchased iOOTP13 and played it like a mad man then it just wasn't good enough after religiously reading these forums!!
come to think of it, it was iOOTP 13 that pulled me in... once I played 14 on desktop, I was sold.
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #27
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I've had every version. We really got to using it more though when my league went from FPS 97 to OOTP.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #28
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

I found a copy of Season Ticket Baseball 2002 in a bargain bin at the mall. I loaded it up, and registered it, and got turned onto the message board, where people were talking about the current version (3 I believe), it seemed cool, so I got it. then 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, and 15. I'm cheap (broke), so that's why I only buy every other year.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #29
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
come to think of it, it was iOOTP 13 that pulled me in... once I played 14 on desktop, I was sold.
I set up a free remote desktop on my iPhone and my MacBook Pro, so I can play OOT15 on the go, I love it, OOTP14 is what sold it for me, and I am loving 15 so far even though I have just only dabbled so far!
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #30
bosunmate
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
I found a copy of Season Ticket Baseball 2002 in a bargain bin at the mall. I loaded it up, and registered it, and got turned onto the message board, where people were talking about the current version (3 I believe), it seemed cool, so I got it. then 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, and 15. I'm cheap (broke), so that's why I only buy every other year.
You only missed a couple versions'

Last edited by bosunmate; 07-15-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #31
Shucker
Minors (Double A)

Ootp3
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #32
dodger300
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP5. I think it was a free download. I played a season using fictional players and teams. At the time I was playing High Heat and SOM, along PC Action football and basketball. After I bought version 6 I have not played another sport sim. Good idea that free download Marcus.
dodger300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 AM   #33
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Actually ver 2 was available as a download. That's how I purchased it. Don't know about a CD, but quite possible.
Maybe it was day 1. I don't remember a version number on it! I remember it was a blue disc with a guy in a batting stance on it. It may have been 1. It was so long ago I really can't recall.

It is almost sad when Jimmy Buffet's lyrics from changes in latitude changes in attitude stop becoming something that sounds cool and start becoming something you start to relate to.

It is good memories. My father loved baseball games too. I remember buying High Heat for him for Christmas not long before I got OOTP. We actually both played a little OOTP too. He has been gone for a few years now. I guess that is part of why I love the game.

Last edited by Biggio509; 07-15-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #34
JMDurron
All Star Starter

A poster on a message board I spend a significant amount of my free time reading posed a question. The question was "If you could go back in time and take over any team in history as GM, with knowledge of the future until today, what team would you take?" I picked a team, started pouring through baseball-reference to figure out what I would do, and started writing a recap/story from 1974-2010 for the Red Sox.

After I finished the recap/story, I decided that I wanted to sim out what those rosters would have done. Baseball Mogul was suggested, and used by the original poster to do something else, so I started there. The problem is, Mogul did such a horrible job with historical leagues, with players appearing and then peaking far too early relative to when they should have that it was incredible unsatisfying. I was discouraged, but too cheap to sink $40 into trying to do it again with OOTP. At that time, my in-laws asked what I wanted for my birthday. The lightbulb went off. I asked for and received OOTP 12, used that to do my historical sim, and I haven't purchased another video game besides OOTP (an annually recurring gift from the in-laws!) since then. iOOTP doesn't do enough for me, so I've just had the full versions from 12 through 15.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #35
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I started playing Strat-O-Matic in 1986 when I was a kid. I just replayed the 1985 season over and over again, mixing up the cards and "drafting" players each new season.

One day I randomly decided to see if there was a computer version and luckily found STB2K3 in an EB at the mall.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #36
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I started in OOTP4 as well. My bro-in-law was doing some online writing as the time and turned me on to it. I played out every game in those days. I'm surprised I didn't wear out hte 1 button on my keypad.

Probably the best feature was the addition of full MLB rosters. Makes the game sustainable. Facegen was a close second.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #37
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

I've been playing OOTP since 2002 (don't remember what version was out at that time), joined the OOTP boards in 2004.

I found OOTP by chance when I was looking for a game to replace the baseball sim that I was playng back then called High Heat. I stumbled upon the OOTP website, read some of the user reviews and downloaded the demo. The demo hooked me in and I haven't looked back since.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #38
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I was shopping at Half-Price Books, saw a used baseball video game called "OOTP 11" for only five bucks, bought it. I didn't really get addicted until I found this place and discovered the wondrous thing called "mods forums"...
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
the best I could find was Hardball and High Heat. Then I stumbled upon OOTP - think I actually readabout it on baseballsimcentral (was that the name of the website)? Didn't take long for me to fall in love.
Me too, I went from HardBall to High Heat 2k1, and although I loved HH its roster management was really terrible (and frankly I was more interested in that part of the game than the thumb jockey part). People at the High Heat board (High Heat Central? baseballsimcentral was a bit later) mentioned OOTP so I tried it.

I am quite sure OOTP 3 was the first version I messed with, but I think it was a free download version at the time (probably the OOTP5 era). It was so basic I think I just couldn't make it useful for High Heat and therefore I just dropped it. OOTP8 was where I came back in for good.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #40
Kevin
All Star Reserve

OOTP2 here. I had played dice and card Strat with the 87 set. Got a computer in 89 and tried Sporting News Baseball (awful). I then used Pursue the Pennant for a while (OK) and then Computer Strat (OK)

Replay games were cool for a while but quickly became boring. I took a shot on OOTP after doing some web searches for simulators and was hooked. You could go year to year without paying a ransom for a yearly disk. I played heavily each version through OOTP 5 and less and less with each version through 11. Skipped 12, played 13 for a while, skipped 14 and bought 15 which has me hooked again, mainly because I play it somewhat differently now.