Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #41
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The devs posted that the data was 100% reliable as they collect such data in real time from player's console units.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
What are they basing that on though? Online information from tracking the most used modes in the game when connected online?

I rarely even played the manager mode in the Show even dating back to MVP05 when they had the mode. It has always been a regular franchise mode but instead of manually playing out my games I would sit back and watch the AI handle the on field stuff while I dealt with the rosters.

I know more people throughout different forums I've joined who play the same way as I did or just simply handled the rosters and sim ahead than I do guys who actually played the manager modes which were always flawed..the stat also don't account for players who play the game normally but still enjoy the heck out of managing a roster.

Regardless of that stat 1% of a top selling sports game is a lot of people and I'm sure OOTP would love to have them apart of the community.
They track everything in real time and keep records.

The current version of manager mode in The Show is actually not bad. Throw in Quick Counts and you can get a decent managerial experience. The GM component is laughable, though.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #43
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
They track everything in real time and keep records.

The current version of manager mode in The Show is actually not bad. Throw in Quick Counts and you can get a decent managerial experience. The GM component is laughable, though.
Yes, I think we used (or I interpreted) "manager" as both on-field and GM back there. I still apply my comments to both but I would imagine the GM experience in The Show would be very weak indeed. That is really the aspect of OOTPB that sets the game apart, along with the realistic results and statistics.

The Show and OOTPB: Two separate camps, and they should remain so.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #44
BradC
All Star Starter

RE a percentage increase: I can't say publicly, but I will say we've seen very nice sales growth the last couple years. OOTP 13 saw a nice jump in sales -- our April sales that year were the best in a decade for the series -- and 14's sales were on par with 13. However, when 14 hit Steam, we saw a very nice boost there, and that momentum has carried over to 15.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #45
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
RE a percentage increase: I can't say publicly, but I will say we've seen very nice sales growth the last couple years. OOTP 13 saw a nice jump in sales -- our April sales that year were the best in a decade for the series -- and 14's sales were on par with 13. However, when 14 hit Steam, we saw a very nice boost there, and that momentum has carried over to 15.
Steam is 75 million prospective gamer customers. If there was ever a place to market, Steam is it.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to press hard for a Steam Workshop and online Steam head to head play. And also to market heavily to the FM crowd on Steam. It's a recipe for success.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #46
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Why is this turning into a political debate?

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #47
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Why is this turning into a political debate?
This is one of those times when you should've read to the bottom of the thread before posting.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #48
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I cannot urge you strongly enough to press hard for a Steam Workshop
I second this. This game would be perfect for Steam Workshop.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #49
Dreifort
Major Leagues

Quote:
My ultimate dream is to have OOTP partner and develop the ability to export game log files to use with graphic heavy games like MLB The Show that can import and replay the interpreted PbP. Problem would be finding a company like EA or SCEA, etc willing to do this.

Still not in-game management while watching live play enactment, but I'd find it awesome nonetheless.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #50
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

So, I stopped reading this thread on the top of page 2. OOTPD better try to keep potential customers out of the forums, which are a repulsive, ugly, and hostile place these days, with daily ****storms of the tiniest of things, before said potential customers have completed their potential purchase. What is it that every single thread outside the dynasty boards (and sometimes even inside them!) do have to spiral out of control like that!? What a fantastic circle of knife-wielding, saber-toothed, constantly upset queens of hurt feelings we have around here. Great place to spend your free time.

Had to get that one outta my park.

You may now continue to be offended.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by TC Dale; 07-05-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: edited content for main forums. Please read the rules.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
So, I stopped reading this thread on the top of page 2. OOTPD better try to keep potential customers out of the forums, which are a repulsive, ugly, and hostile place these days, with daily $hitstorms of the tiniest of things, before said potential customers have completed their potential purchase. What is it that every single thread outside the dynasty boards (and sometimes even inside them!) do have to spiral out of control like that!? What a fantastic circle of knife-wielding, saber-toothed, constantly upset queens of hurt feelings we have around here. Great place to spend your free time.
People here are prone to veer off topic, insult entire groups/countries, hold grudges, demonize their opponents and take every disagreement personally. Welcome to the Internet.

I participate in about ten different online forums. This one is pretty typical of the behavioral middle of the road of that group. I hope that you never see a really bad forum, the shock might stun you.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #52
Garethw87

I never see why companies are scared or refused to release sales info. Like sure they don't have to by any means but just for interests sake I don't see any harm in it? Not like OOTP has many competitors and even the ones it has, they will never reach this level now!

I respect if you don't want to release that kind of info though, it's your company so it's upto you I guess if you count the number of forum users and then look at the in game stats on steam you could get a very, very rough estimate :P
Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #53
asheft
Minors (Triple A)

There are probably a lot of users though who aren't on the forums. I was one up until about a week and a half ago.
asheft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #54
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I never see why companies are scared or refused to release sales info. Like sure they don't have to by any means but just for interests sake I don't see any harm in it? Not like OOTP has many competitors and even the ones it has, they will never reach this level now!

I respect if you don't want to release that kind of info though, it's your company so it's upto you I guess if you count the number of forum users and then look at the in game stats on steam you could get a very, very rough estimate :P
Well, there's that licensing thing that I mentioned before; more games sold mean higher fees? Also, there may be some inter-company rivalry going on.

Both of which notions I just pulled out of my rear end because I really have no idea. Just speculatin'.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #55
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

OOTP has grown quite a bit in the last few years, but it is still FAR away from the popularity & sales numbers of soccer management games in Europe. It's a totally different league, but we're making progress each year. And if one day we sell 10% the copies which Football Manager from SEGA / SI does, then I'm a happy camper.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #56
progen
All Star Starter

FM series and OOTP baseball are really the only games I play anymore. I'm a bit surprised though that FM 2014 hasn't sold more copies. Not knowing the video sports gaming business though, I guess the number of sales quoted, must be a good thing!

This number came from Wikipedia:
As of 31 March 2014, the game(FM 2014), has sold 790,000 copies in Europe and North America

From another site:
Football Manager 2014 breaks record with 17 weeks at top of PC sales chart
Here's the full boxed PC game chart for the week ending February 22nd 2014:

1. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)
2. BATTLEFIELD 4 (EA)
3. ROME: TOTAL WAR II (SEGA)
4. THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - LEGENDARY (BETHESDA)
5. RAMBO: THE VIDEO GAME (REEF ENTERTAINMENT)
6. THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS)
7. GUILD WARS 2 (NCSOFT)
8. THE SIMS 3: STARTER BUNDLE (EA)
9. ARMA III (BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE)
10. ROCKSMITH 2014 EDITION (UBISOFT)

My point here, with Markus making the statement that he'd be happy as hell if OOTP could sell 10% of what FM sells, then OOTP is moving in the right direction.

Last edited by progen; 07-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #57
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
FM series and OOTP baseball are really the only games I play anymore. I'm a bit surprised though that FM 2014 hasn't sold more copies. Not knowing the video sports gaming business though, I guess the number of sales quoted, must be a good thing!

This number came from Wikipedia:
As of 31 March 2014, the game(FM 2014), has sold 790,000 copies in Europe and North America

From another site:
Football Manager 2014 breaks record with 17 weeks at top of PC sales chart
Here's the full boxed PC game chart for the week ending February 22nd 2014:

1. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)
2. BATTLEFIELD 4 (EA)
3. ROME: TOTAL WAR II (SEGA)
4. THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - LEGENDARY (BETHESDA)
5. RAMBO: THE VIDEO GAME (REEF ENTERTAINMENT)
6. THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS)
7. GUILD WARS 2 (NCSOFT)
8. THE SIMS 3: STARTER BUNDLE (EA)
9. ARMA III (BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE)
10. ROCKSMITH 2014 EDITION (UBISOFT)

My point here, with Markus making the statement that he'd be happy as hell if OOTP could sell 10% of what FM sells, then OOTP is moving in the right direction.
FM sells usually over a million copies worldwide. So, 10% would be 100k copies per year. Yes, that would work for me
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #58
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Well, Mister Uninvolved Canadian, you can think whatever you want. It was tactless.

That sounds like a shot at Canada. Maybe you have Swiss blood.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #59
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Somehow, I don't see Wolf coming from a line of people who maintain neutrality about much of anything.

That also doesn't mean that he's necessarily wrong about those points he wants to make repeatedly.

I'm glad to read that OOTP keeps growing. Mo Money, Mo Problems Patched, I hope is the rule.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #60
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post

Could it be that it's none of our business? I don't reveal anything about my finances and income (and that's what sales info is) unless required by law or to get credit. I don't know any company that releases more than required info about sales for these obvious reasons.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote