Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #61
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
It's a great idea if you want an RPG, or if you're 12 years old.
I have to agree.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #62
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

I would also like to see storylines that involve different teams. When Roger Clemens initially left the Red Sox, he held a vendetta against them famously pointing to Dan Duquette every time he struck someone out on the Red Sox in his first game pitching against them. It would be fun to see this type of season long storyline popping up in the headlines from players that were traded or not resigned by their original team.

Or another example would be a season long storyline involving a pitcher who keeps brushing back or hitting a particular hitter. That sort of thing happens in real life as well, and I think it would add some flavor to see this replicated in OOTP as well. A recent example of that is Grienke vs Quentin.
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #63
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Why don't you tell us how you really feel Wolf? I don't think your opinions on this matter are clear enough

And while I have your ear, is the league you posted about in the "I want your league" thread from battists available anywhere? I had sent you a PM about it but never heard back.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #64
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
It's a terrible idea for a high-end baseball simulator. It's a great idea if you want an RPG, or if you're 12 years old.
I think you can make the argument OOTP is already an RPG. Obviously RPG stands for role playing game. In OOTP we play the role of a general manager. I don't play typical RPG's much, but my basic understanding is you put together a group of characters with the best ratings possible in multiple categories to go kick some butt. Sounds like OOTP to me. So to say this feature shouldn't be added because it would make OOTP into an RPG, guess what? It already is one.

As for the feature being something only 12 year olds are interested in? We (me included) are literally staring at a computer screen, getting invested in fake players winning fake games that nobody else in the world knows or cares about. Now we all enjoy it, but to act like certain features are off limits because they only appeal to kids is silly because the very act of playing a computer baseball game at best is acting like a kid and at worst is a total waste of time.

Damn...I need a drink
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #65
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk View Post
Why don't you tell us how you really feel Wolf? I don't think your opinions on this matter are clear enough

And while I have your ear, is the league you posted about in the "I want your league" thread from battists available anywhere? I had sent you a PM about it but never heard back.
Not yet. Still improving on it. Sorry about the lack of response.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #66
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
I think you can make the argument OOTP is already an RPG.
OOTP is a baseball simulation. You want to play an RPG, buy Skyrim. I did.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #67
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I think you can make the argument OOTP is already an RPG. Obviously RPG stands for role playing game. In OOTP we play the role of a general manager. I don't play typical RPG's much, but my basic understanding is you put together a group of characters with the best ratings possible in multiple categories to go kick some butt. Sounds like OOTP to me. So to say this feature shouldn't be added because it would make OOTP into an RPG, guess what? It already is one.

As for the feature being something only 12 year olds are interested in? We (me included) are literally staring at a computer screen, getting invested in fake players winning fake games that nobody else in the world knows or cares about. Now we all enjoy it, but to act like certain features are off limits because they only appeal to kids is silly because the very act of playing a computer baseball game at best is acting like a kid and at worst is a total waste of time.

Damn...I need a drink
This might be the greatest post I've ever read, Roy! Incredibly valid points.
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #68
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Damn...I need a drink
I'm lost.

An RPG is where you control one character and go through a storyline and go through like battles and stuff. I think OOTP's intent is to be a simulator.

I think you guys have your hopes set too high sometimes. Let's focus on improving the AI and other things before we can start worrying about some added storylines. There are other things that are more important to the core of the game than a feature many users turn off.

EDIT: You say here: "my basic understanding is you put together a group of characters with the best ratings possible in multiple categories to go kick some butt. Sounds like OOTP to me.

Are we assigning arbitrary ratings to the GM now? Like how good you are at drafting, signing players, etc...

Last edited by mpejkrm; 10-16-2014 at 07:38 AM.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #69
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a terrible idea for a high-end baseball simulator. It's a great idea if you want an RPG, or if you're 12 years old.
Your elitist attitude is really uncalled for. You don't agree with his opinion so you call him 12 years old for having it. Since when did your opinion become the only one to consider?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #70
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think this is a terrible idea, but it's an idea that has very little probability of ever being developed into the game. The designers have to take consideration of the fact that the people who purchase their product have a wide range of how they play the game. A feature such as this one would pose some issues for the guy who finishes a season in a matter of hours.

In addition, this just doesn't seem like it's a feasible idea at the current point in time. To institute this would require the allotment of resources by the dteam, and those resources are very likely already assigned to address other areas of the game. I just don't think it's realistic to think this can be installed into the game anytime in the near future because of the difficulty it presents for the developers.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #71
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
A rare agreement with you on these boards on my part.

I've seen plenty of teams in my leagues that I thought "how did they even make playoffs? on paper they look so average", that is when i use my imagination that this team was all about heart and create stories in my head for my league. I don't need fake chemistry ratings.

If by having storylines on (which i do) it means more storylines (which i'd like to see, honestly think there is a lack of) and a team wins 10 games in a row and i get a storyline on their chemistry, fantastic! as long as it isn't legitimately affecting the game outcomes.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #72
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Can we just give them death first?

I mean, if we're talking about realism, how about we start with mortality.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #73
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post

There is an injury text file out there that does have death injuries in it

I know you were probably asking about guys aging and dying, but you can also have death injuries

I have rare injuries for Bright's Disease, Fights, Typhoid, lead poisoning etc.

I am in the deadball era
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #74
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Some individual's myopic view aside

These loud minority ranters have gotten their way so much that I have to turn off 20 things to accurately try and simulate history, is it such a hassle for them to turn off 1 or 2 features?

They can turn off personality and coaches, why not just turn off chemistry? The 2013-14 Dodgers did
Old 10-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #75
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post

Or facegens that resemble this:

BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #76
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
Great topic. I'm all for adding more realism to this game, even though it's already rich with detail.

A couple of thoughts...

If more personal life comes to the players and coaches in OOTP, it should complement the Personality Ratings, and not accidentally contradict them. For example, a player with low leadership is a follower, and should therefore get along with true leaders pretty well, as both are needed for better team chemistry. Too many leaders can cause chaos in the clubhouse, and should be reflected in player performance. Likewise, too many followers under-develop and perform poorly, getting lost in the game.

I agree, for example Jimmy Sheckard is a great example of a talented but streaky player. Mike Donlin is a great example of a HOF athlete with his mind elsewhere...yet Donlin will consistently be a HOFer in historical simulations, when it should be a bigger % that he will fail. All I can do now is give him a large number injury rating, and that is not exactly realistic because he WAS healthy when he showed up. Same goes for Rube Waddell one of the streakiest players who will 90% of the time become one of the best pitchers of all time if you do a simple run through historical simulation.

The 1914 Braves had 3 great leaders with great work ethic in Evers, Gowdy and Maranville and bit players who knew their roles and were decent people.
In 1915 the get clubhouse pain in the ass Sherry Magee giving up two great work ethic, smart, leader types who were humble players in Possum Whitted and Oscar Dugey...and start going downhill and who won the pennant? The Phillies (mostly due to who should be a HOF manager Pat Moran, but these two players who would go onto to coach and manage, respectively, helped)

The Cubs previously had Evers,Bresnahan and Tinker butting heads (too many cooks in the kitchen)when Chance and Mordecai Brown left and also got selfish players like Heinie Zimmerman and Red Corridon (the guy who played back to give Lajoie the batting title in 1910 and was involved in Durocher's 1947 suspension)

So back in the old days of baseball when players spent a lot of time together, chemistry was a factor...the stats even prove it sometimes.As for your other points about upbringing, I think that is going over the line

Today's game, money is the factor and we have players sulking because they don't play or aren't getting paid, and I see no one who is against that on these boards.

We shouldn't have one without the other and both should be ON/OFF option
Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #77
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post

Otis Nixon?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #78
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Otis Nixon?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #79
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post

whats that from?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #80
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Your elitist attitude is really uncalled for. You don't agree with his opinion so you call him 12 years old for having it. Since when did your opinion become the only one to consider?
That's a really good trolling attempt, and an excellent invitation to a flame war, but the problem with it is that it's false. It's not just my opinion. Others share it.

The salient fact is that turning a high-end baseball simulator into an RPG is an incredibly stupid idea and would be a colossal waste of resources that could be devoted to improving the simulation.

We can't even save and load lineups yet, and you guys want the game to become an RPG? Give me a #%^*}{] break.