Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Do you want team color text boxes back?
Yes..It really adds to the immersion factor 120 76.92%
No...It really doesnt matter to me at all 32 20.51%
Undecided 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #41
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
I am temporarily breaking my retirement from most of the forums to make this statement.

Let this be a lesson to OOTP Developments. During the beta process, I was among several testers who raised an immediate red flag when we saw that team colors and backgrounds were completely altered and that the game was re-skinned in favor of some bizarre notion that it should look like a sleek tech app.

I pushed back pretty hard, and a number of people expressed their concern and disappointment, but we were told on more than one occasion that OOTP Developments had already had extensive internal discussions about this and that the decision was made. There was no turning back, and they liked it personally. End of discussion.

On two different occasions, I asked why customers or beta testers weren't consulted about this in advance and why customer survey research was not conducted before making the decision. But, again, we were told that they had already discussed this internally and were not going to revisit it. They never directly answered my question, but they made it clear that this was purely an internal decision based on their own aesthetics.

That is not how such a visible design decision should be made, especially when it renders some of the color coding system obsolete, potentially renders logos obsolete or less effective with the skin, and has a major impact on user immersion. While you can't make design decisions by committee, you should at least do some cursory research to let you know whether customers will like it and whether you might inadvertently take something away that people really value.

The poll thus far reinforces what several of us felt and what we expected that the reaction would be. They could have easily informed their decision with a quick email poll or by using the forums. The result would probably have been quite clear. But that never happened, and I consider it to be a shocking disregard for the paying customers.

The change should not have been made or should have been set up as an option so that many users could still enjoy the visual immersion they get with OOTP 14. Maybe this poll will finally change their minds, but all of this could have been avoided when it was pointed out on the first day of the beta testing process, weeks before the game was released.
Thank you for that information. Your statement "I consider it to be a shocking disregard for the paying customers" pretty well sums up how I feel about this myself.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #42
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Thank you for that information. Your statement "I consider it to be a shocking disregard for the paying customers" pretty well sums up how I feel about this myself.
Well, with due respect to Charlie, I am sure that there are many beta-tester opinions that are routinely overruled as they may be judged to be unique and not necessarily the opinion of a significant number of "paying customers." Now, though, the developers would do well to take heed of this thread and poll results. Over 80% of responders care about this issue.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #43
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

and 80% of a population in any poll is an astromically high proportion.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #44
texasmame
All Star Starter

This color issue doesn't matter to me all that much, but it seems several things in this version were changed, then not modifiable, just because. First it was the screen size (addressed), then the font size (still not addressed) now this.

That's unacceptable.

I guess I can't see changing things "just because" in the first place but to then not have these "improvements" toggleable?

Really?

Thankfully 3D is optional!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #45
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What's so strange about this whole thing is I understand why it was done. In past some teams did have color schemes that were hard to read. Someone mentioned the Cubs. Personally, I had a hard time reading the blue with red lettering. But, it was so darn easy to deal with. I would simply make the Cubs blue with white lettering. I would then change the Dodgers to white with blue lettering. It took 2 seconds to change and bam I was in business.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #46
BCStone
Minors (Double A)

I've bought every version of this game since OOTP4 (Except the SI version) and always felt every new release was worth buying and I was looking very forward to buying this game. But as with every release I wait to see what the general consensus is before purchasing. I believe in supporting Marcus but at the same time it has to be a great product and something I feel I'm going to enjoy which is the reason I have not purchased version 15. While 3D is intriguing to me it's not something I have to have because it's not finished yet and there are aspects I don't like about it, and I have no interest in International league's but that's just me. So it really comes down to this, am I going to buy this game that I'm going to enjoy less. This one small thing that Marcus decided to leave out of the game has cost him a sale because it's a big deal for me. PLEASE! reconsider this decision Marcus. I would be more than happy to give you my hard earned money if you return this option to the game. If not then I'm perfectly happy with version 14
Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #47
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What's so strange about this whole thing is I understand why it was done. In past some teams did have color schemes that were hard to read. Someone mentioned the Cubs. Personally, I had a hard time reading the blue with red lettering. But, it was so darn easy to deal with. I would simply make the Cubs blue with white lettering. I would then change the Dodgers to white with blue lettering. It took 2 seconds to change and bam I was in business.
Exactly. I recall having to do this as well and I never minded it. As Wolf says, many of my games have very similar-looking teams on the field and it can be confusing.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #48
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCStone View Post
I've bought every version of this game since OOTP4 (Except the SI version) and always felt every new release was worth buying and I was looking very forward to buying this game. But as with every release I wait to see what the general consensus is before purchasing. I believe in supporting Marcus but at the same time it has to be a great product and something I feel I'm going to enjoy which is the reason I have not purchased version 15. While 3D is intriguing to me it's not something I have to have because it's not finished yet and there are aspects I don't like about it, and I have no interest in International league's but that's just me. So it really comes down to this, am I going to buy this game that I'm going to enjoy less. This one small thing that Marcus decided to leave out of the game has cost him a sale because it's a big deal for me. PLEASE! reconsider this decision Marcus. I would be more than happy to give you my hard earned money if you return this option to the game. If not then I'm perfectly happy with version 14
Well, don't let this single issue dissuade you. Keep looking around the forums for the good news (and look for other issues that may bother you as well), then decide. Me, I'm still glad I upgraded from 14 to 15.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #49
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Exactly. I can see Markus looking at the Cubs or the Twins or whatever and saying "that's hard to read, that should be changed". And, in that case, a default to black or white text would be in order. But therein lies the issue - a DEFAULT. Not a "you're getting this color whether you like it or not" solution. The ability to change a team's text color has been a thing for so many versions; it seems like an unnecessary amount of work and an unnecessary risk of community backlash to take it out of the game entirely, when you could have just modified the existing system to default to black or white text, and let the users change it if they so desire.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #50
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Just to chime in, I'm not as upset about this as some others here seem to be, but it's definitely a downgrade from the way 14 and other past versions did it. Considering it was already being done that way, it's a bit baffling that it was changed. As someone else suggested, it seems like at the very least it should be an option. Taking away an option already in the game seems even more baffling.

For those avoiding purchasing the game because of this issue, I don't think it's a big enough issue to overcome all the positive new things about the new version, but the situation with in game player text boxes is definitely less attractive and enjoyable than in versions past. I too hope that the powers that be take notice of the poll, and keep in mind that the "it doesn't matter to me at all" voting option doesn't necessarily indicate a preference for the change, just indifference.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #51
Bowtie
All Star Starter

I am temporarily breaking my self imposed silence to voice my concerns about this topic.

This is utterly despicable. It does not surprise me that OOTP Developments made such a disrespectful and selfish decision to remove the team colors in OOTP 15 that were highly favored in OOTP 14. And to rub salt in our wounds, they made their paying customers find out the hard way. Shame on you! Here I am making new logos for OOTP 15 using the hex codes from the OOTP 14 logos and I find out the hard way that I now have to go back and eliminate part of the codes? Pathetic. In the mods forum, there was no mention of this change. Why? That in itself is ridiculous.

I second what Charlie Hough said in his post above. It is my every hope that OOTP Developments has learned their lesson and that they compromise with us and make this an option. By the way, I voted yes to bring them back.

I apologize for my rant but the way I see it is OOTP Developments brought this upon themselves.

As always, cheers to all.

Bow

Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #52
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Here I am making new logos for OOTP 15 using the hex codes from the OOTP 14 logos and I find out the hard way that I now have to go back and eliminate part of the codes? Pathetic. In the mods forum, there was no mention of this change. Why?
I too am pretty unhappy to see this odd decision. I have a LOT of logos/jerseys/etc., and it takes work each year to get them to work perfectly (new codes, folder search discrepancies, etc.). I can't say I want to go through and prune out the existing codes in my logos, which have really added a lot to my game.

I agree it was hard to tell, say, the Mets and Astros apart if both were orange on blue. But as others have noticed that was a one second fix. Making all teams look the same is a real mess for those that are not all-historical players.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #53
BDMarvel
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Just to chime in, I'm not as upset about this as some others here seem to be, but it's definitely a downgrade from the way 14 and other past versions did it. Considering it was already being done that way, it's a bit baffling that it was changed. As someone else suggested, it seems like at the very least it should be an option. Taking away an option already in the game seems even more baffling.

For those avoiding purchasing the game because of this issue, I don't think it's a big enough issue to overcome all the positive new things about the new version, but the situation with in game player text boxes is definitely less attractive and enjoyable than in versions past. I too hope that the powers that be take notice of the poll, and keep in mind that the "it doesn't matter to me at all" voting option doesn't necessarily indicate a preference for the change, just indifference.
Exactly. The poll really needs a "No. I prefer it like this." option.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #54
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
I too am pretty unhappy to see this odd decision. I have a LOT of logos/jerseys/etc., and it takes work each year to get them to work perfectly (new codes, folder search discrepancies, etc.). I can't say I want to go through and prune out the existing codes in my logos, which have really added a lot to my game.

I agree it was hard to tell, say, the Mets and Astros apart if both were orange on blue. But as others have noticed that was a one second fix. Making all teams look the same is a real mess for those that are not all-historical players.
To clarify, I am not mad, just very disappointed. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #55
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

How do I feel when people express way too much outrage over a stupid cosmetic concern?

That is all. I eagerly await the outrage over the fact I think all this outrage is pathetically stupid.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #56
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I feel it is quite right to express oneself. I also understand that many of us tend to minimize each others particular problems in order to avoid confrontation. Nevertheless, it is not only healthy to debate issues but it it also in the best interests of the community that we do not try to stifle dissent.

I have acted like a so-called "fanboy" before but keeping the peace was my central goal. I just wanted to take a moment to make us all aware of the "group-mind" that we have around here. We tend to jump all over people who don't like something about the game until people don't bother speaking up. Personally, I am going to be more open-minded and more honest. Hopefully, those who keep silent because they don't want to fend off the inevitable gang attack will feel like their opinion matters once they see a little honesty around here.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #57
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

In other words, they woke up the sleeping nerd!!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #58
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Personally, I feel it is quite right to express oneself. I also understand that many of us tend to minimize each others particular problems in order to avoid confrontation. Nevertheless, it is not only healthy to debate issues but it it also in the best interests of the community that we do not try to stifle dissent.

I have acted like a so-called "fanboy" before but keeping the peace was my central goal. I just wanted to take a moment to make us all aware of the "group-mind" that we have around here. We tend to jump all over people who don't like something about the game until people don't bother speaking up. Personally, I am going to be more open-minded and more honest. Hopefully, those who keep silent because they don't want to fend off the inevitable gang attack will feel like their opinion matters once they see a little honesty around here.
For me HP it's a matter of remembering this same exact thing back when they changed OOTP's UI to what they've basically used for the past 6 or seven versions or so. I question how much is simply due to it being different than what we're used to. If it's still an issue in 6 months or a year then alright. However to get all torch and pitchfork on OOTP (and this isn't all people who disagree with the changes. You aren't one of them for instance) is beyond the pale of what should be ridiculous in any civilized society.

Basically just give it time. I can't even begin to count the number of posts I've seen that boil down to "At first I hated this feature or change but now I can't imagine the game without it." and more often than not those posts tend to refer to UI changes.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #59
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt
I assure you I'll cry over the warning. I have no idea how in the world I'll ever be able to sleep tonight. It's just a soul crushing...oh wait, it's a message forum.
Not related to the topic in any way shape or form but..... I've been sigged. My life is complete and I can now die a happy nerd. It's feels like I always imagined it would.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #60
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
For me HP it's a matter of remembering this same exact thing back when they changed OOTP's UI to what they've basically used for the past 6 or seven versions or so. I question how much is simply due to it being different than what we're used to. If it's still an issue in 6 months or a year then alright. However to get all torch and pitchfork on OOTP (and this isn't all people who disagree with the changes. You aren't one of them for instance) is beyond the pale of what should be ridiculous in any civilized society.

Basically just give it time. I can't even begin to count the number of posts I've seen that boil down to "At first I hated this feature or change but now I can't imagine the game without it." and more often than not those posts tend to refer to UI changes.
Well said.

Right now I am unhappy with a few things but by no means have I written off 15 as a no-purchase. I'm going to wait and see. Again, this color thing is big for me but it isn't my only concern.
Closed Thread