Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #61
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

Does playing in Spring Training games have an effect on player development? I ask because I remember that several versions ago some prospects would see their ratings skyrocket after playing in spring games, but it doesn't seem to have such an effect anymore.

Qwerty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #62
kq76
Global Moderator

Woot! I can't say this was ever on my top 10 wishlist, but I have to say it's very cool to have it now. Thanks, Markus!
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #63
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Not which pants he has on, which pants he pees on.
Ah! Now I get you. You're a sly one, Mr. Wolf.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #64
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I never thought I'd be excited for an update to Spring Training (I usually sim through it, myself), but this is just fantastic. Every new feature announced for this version gets me more excited for it.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #65
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty75 View Post
Does playing in Spring Training games have an effect on player development? I ask because I remember that several versions ago some prospects would see their ratings skyrocket after playing in spring games, but it doesn't seem to have such an effect anymore.
Yes, it does, from my own experience, alltough to what degree is debatable, and depends on several factors.

I find ST to be specially usefull to teach a player a new position, and get him ratings for that position. For example, a SS with low ratings on 2b/3b, I'll definetely play him there in ST (to add versatility). Or a 3B who is getting older and lacks the range, but doesn't have a rating in 1B, ST is an excellent opportunity. A corner OF learning to play the opposite corner, and so on. Players, specially young ones, gain position ratings much faster in ST.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 AM   #66
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty Groove View Post
Yes, it does, from my own experience, alltough to what degree is debatable, and depends on several factors.

I find ST to be specially usefull to teach a player a new position, and get him ratings for that position. For example, a SS with low ratings on 2b/3b, I'll definetely play him there in ST (to add versatility). Or a 3B who is getting older and lacks the range, but doesn't have a rating in 1B, ST is an excellent opportunity. A corner OF learning to play the opposite corner, and so on. Players, specially young ones, gain position ratings much faster in ST.
Yes, I'm aware that players pick up experience points at defensive positions faster in ST than during the regular season.

I meant more specifically the development of core hitting and pitching ratings. There was a more noticeable effect way back when. I'm wondering now if playing ST games promotes or hurts this kind of development directly, and if so, to what extent.

Qwerty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #67
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
LOL some people will be peeing themselves with excitement.

Yep.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #68
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
Will we have to make a decision on veteran Non-roster invitees with 5 days left in training camp (or pay them a $100,000 bonus)?
The way NRIs work in this game are that they are minor league contracts with major league options. So the cutoff date is Opening Day.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #69
jayhawk1106
Minors (Double A)

All I need now is WBC implementation, and I'd pre-order the next second!
jayhawk1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #70
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

have the minor league w/major league option deals been re-worked to mirror what they look like in MLB? a la, 30, 60, or 90 day deals? Can the 30/60 option, if in the game, be available 30/60 days after opening day? I.E. sign a player on July 15th, and if he's not called up by August 14th on a 30-day clause, he is released?
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #71
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
The way NRIs work in this game are that they are minor league contracts with major league options. So the cutoff date is Opening Day.

thanks. in RL do you need a major league option to qualify for the $100,000?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #72
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
thanks. in RL do you need a major league option to qualify for the $100,000?
Here is a (mostly) plain English description of how it works:

Quote:
If an Article XX-B MLB free-agent signs a minor league contract at least ten days prior to MLB Opening Day, and then is either not released by 12 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day prior to MLB Opening Day or added to an MLB Active List (25-man roster) or MLB Disabled List by 3 PM (Eastern) on MLB Opening Day, the player automatically receives a $100,000 retention bonus, and the player can unilaterally opt-out of the minor league contract on June 1st if he has not been added to an MLB Active List (25-man roster) or an MLB Disabled List by that date.

Source
In other words, being a non-roster invitee has nothing to do with the retention bonus. It's all about whether a (major league) free agent was signed to a minor league contract prior to opening day and whether he was added to the active roster before the regular season starts.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-11-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #73
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

In other words, being a non-roster invitee has nothing to do with the retention bonus. It's all about whether a (major league) free agent was signed to a minor league contract prior to opening day and whether he was added to the active roster before the regular season starts.
They must have a minimum six years of ML service time, and IIRC, spent a minimum of one day on the 25-day (or 40 after 9/1) active roster the previous season to qualify for the bonus.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #74
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
They must have a minimum six years of ML service time...
Yes, that's what the "major league free agent" refers to, the guys who qualify as a result of acquiring six years of ML service and whose contract has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
...and IIRC, spent a minimum of one day on the 25-day (or 40 after 9/1) active roster the previous season to qualify for the bonus.
There's nothing in the CBA that states that, as far as I can see.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #75
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
This may of been asked and answered, but I have not read all four pages.
Are we allowed to specify where Spring training is held or can we create unique spring training stadiums?
With the option to create teams/leagues based upon a certain state or region, it would be nice to tell OOTP you want a division or league to hold spring training in a state/region

If I create a European league for instance it would be nice for my 'cold weather' teams from northern Europe to hold their spring training (or whenever pre season is held) in Spain and Italy or the South of France.

Or if I am creating a league from the western US I could indicate I want Spring Training held in New Mexico/Arizona for instance.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #76
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
This may of been asked and answered, but I have not read all four pages.
Are we allowed to specify where Spring training is held or can we create unique spring training stadiums?
No, sorry.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #77
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, sorry.
Something for future versions.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #78
pat
Hall Of Famer

Thank you, Markus.

This will definitely come in handy.

Previous Leagues - Time Warp Baseball / International Federation of Baseball / Professional Baseball Replay League / No Pepper Baseball League / MLB Pro

Current OOTP 24 Leagues - Sim Sports Gaming - (2016-Present) Washington Nationals (2016-2022) *2017 Champions
Oakland Athletics (2023-Present)
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #79
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes, that's what the "major league free agent" refers to, the guys who qualify as a result of acquiring six years of ML service and whose contract has expired.

There's nothing in the CBA that states that, as far as I can see.

that makes sense. thank you...
Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #80
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

i'm confused with something in the link:

CUBS ARTICLE XX-B MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS SPRING TRAINING 2014: (last updated 1-24-2014)
Tsuyoshi Wada, LHP

Wada does not have 6 year of service... Is there special rules for international players?