Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #61
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Thanks for the good word on my dynasty.

On the free agent issue, I hear you about the money being the prime consideration of players to sign, but I gotta think there's a fairly high correlation between the prestige and the money. If the money in one division is double that of the next division, which is again double that of the division below that, etc., the better free agents are going to flock to the higher divisions, where the higher prestige play and exposure is naturally going to be. I believe in most cases it will work out, although I agree there might be some goofiness on the margins.
yea, I'd say the money solves probably 70% of the issue. there are still too many teams in poor leagues who spend 25%+ of their budget on a top class player who has been playing in a great league. this is a minor problem, I can imagine scenarios where this would play out in real life but league prestige is needed to get a p/r system really work.
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #62
cmaug
Major Leagues

As someone with interest in promotion/relegation formats, I always read these threads.

To me, it seems like there are some that have become spoiled by the amazing flexibility that OOTP allows it's users. It's a great credit to the programmers that the software allows you to do an unnatural format (for the sport of baseball) manually.

The constant whining that it hasn't yet been built into the game is off base.
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #63
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
You can do p/r now. It takes just a few minutes a season.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #64
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You can do p/r now. It takes just a few minutes a season.
right, but the AI doesn't know it so doesn't play to avoid it. also players will sign for lesser leagues due to slight differences in money because there is no league prestige rating. you have to do a lot of explaining away in your head (which I'm not complaining about really) to make sense of it as it doesn't really make sense.

and if you have large universes it takes more than a couple minutes to switch everyone around, and is a hassle if you are wanting to simulate lots of seasons at once.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #65
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaug View Post
As someone with interest in promotion/relegation formats, I always read these threads.

To me, it seems like there are some that have become spoiled by the amazing flexibility that OOTP allows it's users. It's a great credit to the programmers that the software allows you to do an unnatural format (for the sport of baseball) manually.

The constant whining that it hasn't yet been built into the game is off base.

I don't think people are whining really, that implies they aren't happy with the current game. everyone who wants p/r is probably fully addicted to the game currently and runs crazy fictional universes with all kinds of customizable options. we fully understand how incredible and flexible OOTP is and would like this feature, which would give a new way to play fictional leagues, to be added.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #66
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
right, but the AI doesn't know it so doesn't play to avoid it. also players will sign for lesser leagues due to slight differences in money because there is no league prestige rating. you have to do a lot of explaining away in your head (which I'm not complaining about really) to make sense of it as it doesn't really make sense.

and if you have large universes it takes more than a couple minutes to switch everyone around, and is a hassle if you are wanting to simulate lots of seasons at once.
I suggested to Markus a while back that a p/r switch be added to the game where all the teams close to the cellar at the All-Star break would shift to "Win Now" mode which would fix that.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #67
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I suggested to Markus a while back that a p/r switch be added to the game where all the teams close to the cellar at the All-Star break would shift to "Win Now" mode which would fix that.
we talked about that earlier in this thread I believe. I would of course be in favor of that it's better than what we have now, but it's not a real fix. to really put in p/r would take much more than that. AI teams would have to know money and prestige differences between the leagues, what quality players would want to leave or sign depending on what tier they were in and the likelihood of making it out of relegation (someone brought up the example of a last place team being shifted to win now despite being sure of relegation and winding up needlessly selling off prospects for veterans and wrecking their future for no present gain).

really putting in p/r would take a lot of work which is why I understand why it doesn't get put in. the only new players you'd draw in are from outside America which is probably a small market. it doesn't compare to something like 3D animations
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #68
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
we talked about that earlier in this thread I believe. I would of course be in favor of that it's better than what we have now, but it's not a real fix. to really put in p/r would take much more than that. AI teams would have to know money and prestige differences between the leagues, what quality players would want to leave or sign depending on what tier they were in and the likelihood of making it out of relegation (someone brought up the example of a last place team being shifted to win now despite being sure of relegation and winding up needlessly selling off prospects for veterans and wrecking their future for no present gain).

really putting in p/r would take a lot of work which is why I understand why it doesn't get put in. the only new players you'd draw in are from outside America which is probably a small market. it doesn't compare to something like 3D animations
It would require a total rewrite of the financial system, which would be a huge deal.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #69
dward1
All Star Reserve

Why do you think it would take a total rewrite? It would need marketing and tv contracts to automatically downgrade and for relegation release clauses for players and that's about it. Adding league prestige ratings would be the harder part but hopefully that is being addressed with the foreign leagues this year
Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #70
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would require a total rewrite of the financial system, which would be a huge deal.
That, in my opinion, needs to happen at some point anyway. (Of course, I'd first need to write my [mammoth] proposal on that...)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #71
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

The biggest financial/contracts issue would not require a major rewrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTP Online Manual
Factors Affecting Player Contract Decisions
Money talks, and the configuration of your contract offer has the biggest impact on whether or not a player will accept a contract offer. However, above and beyond the contract terms, players are affected by a number of factors when considering a contract, including:
  • the distance of the franchise from the player's hometown
  • the level of the league (good players might not be interested in playing in a low-level league)
  • your team's reputation
  • your manager reputation
  • your team's recent performance
  • the likelihood of playing time
  • the player's morale (especially with contract extensions)
  • the player's personality
Seems like it should only require tweaking of the existing bolded player contract decision factors.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #72
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why do you think it would take a total rewrite? It would need marketing and tv contracts to automatically downgrade and for relegation release clauses for players and that's about it. Adding league prestige ratings would be the harder part but hopefully that is being addressed with the foreign leagues this year
Because Markus has told us so.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #73
dward1
All Star Reserve

where did Markus say that?

and is level of league referring to the league level you set it at like A, AA, AAA or ML? if so then that's great, it just needs to be customized where we can set those factors because I'd like that to play into even more. and also I don't like setting leagues as minor leagues because it messes with service time, I can't figure out how to get players to accrue it if the league is set at single-A.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #74
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

In one of the previous incarnations of this thread.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #75
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
The biggest financial/contracts issue would not require a major rewrite.
I disagree in that the financial environment of a promotion/relegation (i.e. 'open') league system is quite different from that of a monopoly (i.e. 'closed') league system. Compare, for example, the financial arrangements in terms of the distribution of television contract revenue in the Premier League versus Major League Baseball.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #76
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think people are whining really, that implies they aren't happy with the current game. everyone who wants p/r is probably fully addicted to the game currently and runs crazy fictional universes with all kinds of customizable options. we fully understand how incredible and flexible OOTP is and would like this feature, which would give a new way to play fictional leagues, to be added.
Exactly. From my point of view, I want things like this because it gives me more freedom to create original (some might say bizarre) fictional worlds.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #77
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I disagree in that the financial environment of a promotion/relegation (i.e. 'open') league system is quite different from that of a monopoly (i.e. 'closed') league system. Compare, for example, the financial arrangements in terms of the distribution of television contract revenue in the Premier League versus Major League Baseball.
Yes, getting the entire financial system correct would be a huge task and almost certainly not worth it from a business perspective for OOTP.

Taking care of the single biggest issue to where people could manually set it up more easily would not. The single biggest issue being free agents that sign with a third-tier team instead of a first-tier team for a negligible price difference. Given that OOTP's documentation indicates that league level and a team's reputation are already considered then a complete system overhaul isn't necessary.

Setting a p/r game up can be done, but that is the biggest issue that is impossible to control in a solo game. You can enforce house rules on yourself or in an online league, but not on the AI. So you will see a third-tier team offer a superstar a contract that takes up half their payroll budget.

Now I'm not saying it would be an easy thing to fix because I obviously don't know the code. I'm just saying an entire rewrite shouldn't be required. League level options could be added (2nd tier, 3rd tier, etc.) that have equivalent "league level" effects to the current minor league levels but are still allowed to have financials. That could work in concert with a team's reputation being affected by the league level if implemented like that.

Another option would be adding a factor to the calculation for a team's reputation that is based on the average payroll in the league compared to the average payroll in all major leagues in the game universe. In a single major league situation this would therefore have no impact as all teams would have the same factor (their factors would be 1). But in a game setup with multiple major leagues this would help ensure that teams in the lower level leagues have a lower reputation than the teams in the top levels regardless of winning percentage, standings finish, and other criteria that are currently used. Depending on how it's done this could accomplish the goal without having to add the additional league level options mentioned above. It would still require manual setup of each league's financials by the user, but I have no issue with doing that and I think that's the same for most of us interested in such a setup.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by Huckleberry; 02-27-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #78
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Marcus wrote the financial code, and he said a complete rewrite would be required. I believe him.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #79
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
how so? last years Premier League ranged from 60 million pounds (Man U) to 39 million (QPR) while baseball ranged from $120 mil (LAA) to $45 mil (Reds). I don't understand how it's so different? differing media contracts can already be done in the game
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #80
dward1
All Star Reserve

great points by Huckleberry. the lower-level teams are too willing to sign star players for 50% of their payroll and the star players are too willing to sign with those teams.