Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #161
daves
Hall Of Famer

Did not realize 100 Ohtani would be so low on the list?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 AM   #162
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Did not realize 100 Ohtani would be so low on the list?
He's garbage at the higher levels of this game. He's got nothing but Stuff. If pitchers had to hit, he might be useful. He's actually pretty good against RHP, but you can find many better players for his PP value.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 AM   #163
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Ohtani is a PR success. beyond that, when he pitches against me or any other good team... it is PP time!

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #164
OzzyOz23
Minors (Single A)

In my opinion, Otani is best suited for a deluxe 25th man role. I have had some success using him as a long reliever/ backup RF/LF/DH/1B and top pinch runner and pinch-hitter against righties. I usually squeeze out > 1 WAR per season out of him. Basically, Brooks Kieshnick with speed.
OzzyOz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #165
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyOz23 View Post
In my opinion, Otani is best suited for a deluxe 25th man role. I have had some success using him as a long reliever/ backup RF/LF/DH/1B and top pinch runner and pinch-hitter against righties. I usually squeeze out > 1 WAR per season out of him. Basically, Brooks Kieshnick with speed.
Gold Live Ohtani at lower levels, yes. But Perfect Future Legends Ohtani is worth more flipping to get other players than he is as a reliever/pinch hitter/backup OF. I'm not sure what his current price is (it used to be 6 figures, but it was dropping quick), but even at the 20K quicksell you could turn him into a more useful player or two.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #166
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Nevermind...ignore me. I could have sworn I saw this effect before, but I just tried again and was not able to recreate it. Sorry for the confusion
You do know you have to re-scout the pitcher before you see the effect of a pitch change, do you not? Simply making a change and hitting enter is not enough to change the rating.

At least that's how it worked a few versions ago when I tested things like this.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #167
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
You do know you have to re-scout the pitcher before you see the effect of a pitch change, do you not? Simply making a change and hitting enter is not enough to change the rating.

At least that's how it worked a few versions ago when I tested things like this.
I had turned off the scouting system for that test. Is that still true?
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #168
max venerabel
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
In my Perfect League, my Keuchel has a 3.21 ERA, is 5th in FIP, and has given up 0 HR vs. 426 batters.

The problem is he somehow stops both teams from scoring, getting 2.5 Run Support for a 4-7 record. My team average 4.5 runs per game. He just lost his last game 1-0. Unreal.

Keuchel is 10-4 with a 2.15 ERA for me (last time I checked). He's also going for 20K on the auction house, so I guess I actually bought low.
max venerabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #169
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by max venerabel View Post
Keuchel is 10-4 with a 2.15 ERA for me (last time I checked). He's also going for 20K on the auction house, so I guess I actually bought low.
I got him for 16k - he's been doing well.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #170
Izz
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe people are selling him, actually. How could he not fit into anybody's rotation?

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #171
max venerabel
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
I can't believe people are selling him, actually. How could he not fit into anybody's rotation?

Could be doubles. As a Gold level card, so pretty common to pull from packs, he's going to be ubiquitous soon.
max venerabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #172
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max venerabel View Post
Could be doubles. As a Gold level card, so pretty common to pull from packs, he's going to be ubiquitous soon.
Ah, good point

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #173
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Theme team
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #174
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Theme team
Heh - another good point

Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #175
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Plus, some people seem to be really hesitant to trust a LHP, even a good one, at least in Perfect

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #176
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Plus, some people seem to be really hesitant to trust a LHP, even a good one, at least in Perfect
Have no idea why, yet they still seem to be. Evidence does not seem to support that logic.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #177
chazzycat
All Star Starter

One possible reason I can think of: If I was choosing who I was facing, it would be a mixture of RHP and LHP, because I have platoons set up to take advantage of that. That platoon setup maximizes my offensive output by keeping my players well rested and only facing the types of pitchers they are strongest against.

Now consider what happens if I face a string of RHP instead of a mixture. My LHP-hitting platoon would be wasted. Instead of starting against lefties they would sit on the bench. When my RHP-hitting platoon eventually gets tired, THEN the other guys would play. But they would be facing RHP and be at a disadvantage.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #178
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Another reason to sell a big card is whether you want to invest it in other parts of the team.

For example, I have a 94 Yaz card, who obviously forms a very important part of my lineup right now on one of my teams. I don't want to get rid of him, but sometimes I do wonder - would I be a better team if I sold him for the ~20k he goes for, and replace him with 2-3 guys who fill in other spots? A lot of times it can make for a better team to have 2 guys who cost 12k each instead of one guy who costs 24k. Or 3 guys at 8k apiece.

So you take that Keuchel, sell him for 20k, buy Kershaw or Thor for 10k, and you have another 10k left to spend to help out somewhere else on the roster. Definitely an interesting strategy, especially if you're limited in what you can spend.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #179
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I use 2 lefty starters, the 86 Keuchel and the 96 Kershaw. Believe me they are more of a challenge for perfect hitters than the hittes are for them. This seasom Kershaw is 19-2 with a 2.93 ERA and Keuchel is 15-2 with a 3.11 In 5 seasons 3.66 is Kershaw's worse ERA. This is my second season with Keuchel. Last season he was 3.69.

Edit: It depends on the lefty!

Last edited by Kushiel; 02-01-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #180
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
Edit: It depends on the lefty!
Yes it does. My lowest ERA at Perfect is a LHP and two of my top 3 in Diamond are as well.

I mention Diamond levels because it's beginning to feel like Diamond level leagues are on par with some of the initial Perfect leagues I was in, while Perfect leagues are better than ever as more great teams work their way in. I'm guessing that if people still think LHP cannot pitch in Perfect leagues, that thinking may start appearing in Diamond leagues as well as the quality of the hitters continues to improve.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote