Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 05-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #241
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
Not sure I like this idea. My fictional world is similar to the real NHL with most players coming from Canada. The US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, etc. are also well represented. In FHM2 will it be possible to edit the players name and nationality say, when the draft pool is created?
Im hoping this is at least true.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #242
Smetana
All Star Starter

Lots of people might not be crazy about the thinned-down fictional options in the new game, but Sebastian stated that he'd rather have a less robust fictional mode that just works, rather than the "One million options" fictional mode that caused so many problems and crashes in the first game. I think it's the wise approach to take.

And, as the game matures in future versions, we can look forward to a great amount of fleshing out of fictional options.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #243
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Yes, that is true.
Is there any chance that gets fixed?
I think a lot of people would like to have their own fictional league, with the majority of teams residing in the U.S. but still have the same realistic quota of players coming from Canada, US, Europe, etc.
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #244
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes, that is true.
If we follow through on that logic, would it be fair to say that if you have a Major League with 7 Canadian and 23 American, but a Junior League with 23 Canadian and 7 American that the nationality of fictional players will be generated based on the Junior level, rather than the pro level thus resulting in more Canadian players?

If true, then basically we just need to create a fictional junior system with teams from various countries in the proportions we want? ie 20 Canadian teams, 10 Russian, 8 US, etc...
G-Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #245
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post
If we follow through on that logic, would it be fair to say that if you have a Major League with 7 Canadian and 23 American, but a Junior League with 23 Canadian and 7 American that the nationality of fictional players will be generated based on the Junior level, rather than the pro level thus resulting in more Canadian players?

If true, then basically we just need to create a fictional junior system with teams from various countries in the proportions we want? ie 20 Canadian teams, 10 Russian, 8 US, etc...
Interesting idea
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #246
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Nuke View Post

I was thinking the same thing. If we at least have the option to edit them, then I can deal with it..

These numbers are slightly different, but they are there....

Nationalities | NHLnumbers.com

Active NHL Players Totals by Nationality - Career*Stats
Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #247
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Please don't assume it "just works as in OOTP 16" (not true).

Fictional mode in FHM gives a user a chance to build his own little universe with a Major and optional a Farm-Team and Junior league in addition. If you just choose to play with a Major League, the game creates a draft class with old enough player. If you play with the Junior Level, the game creates a draft class for this level and the Major League drafts from the Junior League. There are no international leagues around the world. The mode is not intended to be realistic, it is basically a sandbox for people to be creative.
I wasn't to far off on my assumption. Nothing wrong with it creating a random draft class. I've never used Feeder leagues anyways.

Little disappointed by the news of the game generating players from the countries being represented in the game. A North American fictional league will get to miss out on those European players. If we can edit our draft classes then this should just be a minor nuisance.
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 AM   #248
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
Is there any chance that gets fixed?
I think a lot of people would like to have their own fictional league, with the majority of teams residing in the U.S. but still have the same realistic quota of players coming from Canada, US, Europe, etc.
I don't think there is anything to "fix". It's not broken. When you do a fictional league based in certain countries, I think it's only logical that the players represent the teams nationalities ratio.
What other logic could there be? Maybe keep the same ratio as where? In the NHL? What if I want an European league or Czech one? Would I get many Canadians, less Americans and then some Europeans? It doesn't make sense, does it?

Of course, the best solution would be to let the user decide on the ratio when starting a new fictional game. I would love that! But we're not there (yet?). The developers want to have simpler but functional fictional mode.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:42 AM   #249
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursixx View Post
I wasn't to far off on my assumption. Nothing wrong with it creating a random draft class. I've never used Feeder leagues anyways.

Little disappointed by the news of the game generating players from the countries being represented in the game. A North American fictional league will get to miss out on those European players. If we can edit our draft classes then this should just be a minor nuisance.
As I wrote, the majority of players will be from the teams represented, not all. So you still get some European players.

If you want reality, play the reality, it is all there.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #250
geckon
Hall Of Famer

It is an interesting question though. For the new generating players, what ratio is used? It's according to the major league teams? Junior league teams? All teams (major + minor + junior) together? Something else?

I suppose that the initial draft uses major teams' ratio, right?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #251
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
As I wrote, the majority of players will be from the teams represented, not all. So you still get some European players.

If you want reality, play the reality, it is all there.
Can you please answer the question. Can we edit player Nationalities?
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #252
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursixx View Post
Can you please answer the question. Can we edit player Nationalities?
Yes, you can.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #253
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDevil View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If we at least have the option to edit them, then I can deal with it..

These numbers are slightly different, but they are there....

Nationalities | NHLnumbers.com

Active NHL Players Totals by Nationality - Career*Stats
Wow I never would have thought the Swedes were the third highest.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #254
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
I don't think there is anything to "fix". It's not broken. When you do a fictional league based in certain countries, I think it's only logical that the players represent the teams nationalities ratio.
What other logic could there be? Maybe keep the same ratio as where? In the NHL? What if I want an European league or Czech one? Would I get many Canadians, less Americans and then some Europeans? It doesn't make sense, does it?

Of course, the best solution would be to let the user decide on the ratio when starting a new fictional game. I would love that! But we're not there (yet?). The developers want to have simpler but functional fictional mode.
That's where options are needed.
If I wanted to create a fictional WHA or NHL with various cities across North America, I don't want 75% of the players to be American still.

But perhaps that's where the junior leagues come into play.
If there are 24 CHL teams, and only 10 NCAA clubs, then perhaps the league has no choice but draft more Canadian kids.

Saying that, I'm guessing that when you start a fictional league, initially all the players generated on the Pro teams will represent the cities nationality.
In that regard, the first 3 or 4 years will feature top-heavy rosters filled with local talent.
It's not a game breaker, but it's disappointing.

I'd like to have realistic representation.

It would be odd and kind of off-putting if my Mexico Bandito's team was filled with nothing but players named Garcia, Lopez, Rodrigues and Gomez.
"Hector Melendez leads the NHL in scoring for the 10th time.
The whole world new he was going to be a star when his father Waltero would build him a rink outside his home to play on for hours and hours".
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #255
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
"Hector Melendez leads the NHL in scoring for the 10th time.
The whole world new he was going to be a star when his father Waltero would build him a rink outside his home to play on for hours and hours".
"Horas y Horas" that's funny right there my friend.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #256
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

I quickly glanced at some of this and I see the points. When I used OOTP way back before the roid era exploded I LOVED the farm system and made sure that my farm players were getting ready for the show this helped with injuries and players not cutting it on the pro level etc....Nationalities IS a factor in hockey. US born players unless they go through the elite Canada Junior system (OHL, QMHJL WHL) or even play (rarely) in Europe are NOT that likely to make it into the NHL (now some do and some opt for college level as well come draft eligible time. European players are styled different than North American players FACT! That is why in the NHL systems you are seeing more players from Europe head to the AHL FIRST (unless you are just that damn awesome). I am VERY interested in this system and will buy it when it comes out and will give it a chance and note comments then....
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #257
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
US born players unless they go through the elite Canada Junior system (OHL, QMHJL WHL) or even play (rarely) in Europe are NOT that likely to make it into the NHL (now some do and some opt for college level as well come draft eligible time.
The USHL/College along with the NTDP route is a very viable route for US born players even if they choose to not play in the CHL
Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #258
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

I wonder.. how does the player mix in the NHL compare to leagues overseas like the KHL? Is the domestic to foreign mix something that is unique to the NHL?

EDIT: The KHL at least is markedly Russian making up 60% of the players in the league. The next highest is 6% for Canadians. 40% of the league, however, is divided amongst 16 different nations though.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic

Last edited by AlpineSK; 05-11-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #259
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
I wonder.. how does the player mix in the NHL compare to leagues overseas like the KHL? Is the domestic to foreign mix something that is unique to the NHL?

EDIT: The KHL at least is markedly Russian making up 60% of the players in the league. The next highest is 6% for Canadians. 40% of the league, however, is divided amongst 16 different nations though.
Here's some current data on the makeup of the NHL Active NHL Players Totals by Nationality - Career*Stats

Basically 75% of NHLers are from North America, and the remaining 25% is spread among 16 different nations

Here's the list looking at Nations with 1.0% or greater
- Canada 50.3%
- USA 24.8%
- Sweden 7.9%
- Czech Republic 4.0%
- Finland & Russia 3.6%
- Slovakia & Switzerland 1.3%
- Germany 1.0%
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #260
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
Basically 75% of NHLers are from North America, and the remaining 25% is spread among 16 different nations

Here's the list looking at Nations with 1.0% or greater
- Canada 50.3%
- USA 24.8%
- Sweden 7.9%
- Czech Republic 4.0%
- Finland & Russia 3.6%
- Slovakia & Switzerland 1.3%
- Germany 1.0%

Here's some data from other Leagues...

AHL
- Canada 53.4%
- USA 31.3%