Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I think that's a strategy coming from the use of advanced stats that make it obvious that if you are going to overpay (and you will overpay) for talent better to do it in the player's 20's vs his 30's.
yes...one big reason...a player in his 20's can still be tradable
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #42
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I hate to say it, but I don' think it's all that complicated (I wish it were more challenging) Just keep an eye of players current and future salaries, and dont's spend over what's designated for Free Agents (not that you really can) or contract extensions. If you have a guy making 16 mil, the is in the last year of his deal, and you know you aren't going to sign him, well it's obvious you will have cash on hand...but then again, I play as the Phillies, so finances probably aren't as big a deal to my team.
Well yea... playing with a large budget is a different ball of wax. When working with one of the cheaper teams in the league, I've had something as seemingly minor as losing 4 out of 6 arbitration hearings in a given offseason completely throw my free agency hopes to the wind. Now suddenly that $7-8m I hoped would be there to sign a solid middle of the rotation arm becomes $5.5m that you can't do nearly as much with. The challenge can be there when dealing with the penny pincher / economizer owners.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #43
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I though it the most recent patch, Markus has said there was some financial flexibility made for free agency??? Am i remembering this correctly? If not, what was the adjustment that was made?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #44
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I though it the most recent patch, Markus has said there was some financial flexibility made for free agency??? Am i remembering this correctly? If not, what was the adjustment that was made?
I think you are thinking of the change to allow teams to set the scouting and development budgets during the offseason and not just the preseason.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #45
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I think that's a strategy coming from the use of advanced stats that make it obvious that if you are going to overpay (and you will overpay) for talent better to do it in the player's 20's vs his 30's.
Well, generally speaking I don't think most teams overpay to buy out a player's arbitration years. The Buster Posey deal might be an exception... as he'll need to maintain elite performance at a demanding position until his mid-30s... Although I'd imagine he starts playing some 1B before then. But even so, Posey got less than Mauer did in 2010.

But most contracts like that, especially those for pitching, pay under open market value but the player has the money in hand and doesn't have to worry about a career changing injury during his arb years. The Rays offered Evan Longoria well before he was out from team control... and he will likely be considered underpaid well into his 30s if he keeps up roughly his current production. Verlander just got a big extension which ripped up some of his previous deal, but that previous deal he took well under market value for his first two seasons of what would have been free agency to pocket the guaranteed money. While injuries could always derail a career, these moves generally make sense for both sides.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #46
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
I think you are thinking of the change to allow teams to set the scouting and development budgets during the offseason and not just the preseason.
right, but doesn't this allow some cash to be freed up?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #47
Mantush
Minors (Double A)

Look at batter's BABIP before deciding whether to extend him, release him, or pass on him altogether. I noticed a disturbing trend in my rookie third baseman's BABIP during his four seasons with me. He started out really well, providing all-star level production at the hot corner. As his career progressed, I noticed that his production was slowly declining every year. When I took a look at his BABIP, it had dropped by nearly 50 points in a 4 year span. I decided not to tender him a new contract, despite him still having mediocre production. He signed on with an AI team for three years, and started only for the first year - he hit the trading block during Spring Training of the second, and hardly started a game after that. Why? The downward BABIP trend continued, despite his contact skill remaining what it was when he first made the show.

To replace the aforementioned guy, I signed a veteran coming off a bad offensive year where his OPS had dropped 100 points. Turns out, he was unlucky that year - signed with me, returned to his career norms, and then signed a better contract with a different team in the off-season and has played well thus far for them.

Free Agents that had bad years are going to sign cheap (in most cases); determine which of them are cooked and which of them are just unlucky, and then pounce on the latter group while ignoring the former.
Mantush is offline   Reply With Quote