Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

Batters/Pitchers Aging/Developing. Speed

Will this be something we'll likely have to sort out again this year? Or could the settings we adjusted it to last year work out?
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

Last Years Settings.

We want players to be peaking at 27-32. Also don't want too many guys performing at a high level 35 + Especially pitchers..
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronA View Post
Will this be something we'll likely have to sort out again this year? Or could the settings we adjusted it to last year work out?
Not sure what you mean about this year/last year. Development and aging mods really don't affect much in 1 or 2 seasons. I check and may reset them every 5-10 seasons. If you start with default values + or - 0.05 it should be close for 2-4 seasons.

Quote:
We want players to be peaking at 27-32. Also don't want too many guys performing at a high level 35 + Especially pitchers..
Actual data suggests that peak is earlier across the board. See this data from 2011. Batters seem more evenly distributed than pitchers, but the peak is 24-29 for batters and 23-28 for pitchers.
Attached Images

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

I only got 4-5 years through in one of my leagues last year. Was just curious if I can stick with the same settings I used when creating a new league in the 14 version of OOTP.

Batting Ageing: .250
Batting Development: 1.000
Pitcher Ageing: .375
Pitcher Development: .900
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I only got 4-5 years through in one of my leagues last year. Was just curious if I can stick with the same settings I used when creating a new league in the 14 version of OOTP.

Batting Ageing: .250
Batting Development: 1.000
Pitcher Ageing: .375
Pitcher Development: .900
I can't tell you. Those are some funky aging numbers. I'd expect to see a lot of older players. It might take 3-5 seasons to show enough.

Why not import this league into v14? I've run mine since v10.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Isryion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I can't tell you. Those are some funky aging numbers. I'd expect to see a lot of older players. It might take 3-5 seasons to show enough.

Why not import this league into v14? I've run mine since v10.
I think these are Wolf's aging numbers.
Isryion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

Those that play the seasons out as a manager/GM.. Do the default settings work alright 5-10 years down the road?

Using the default settings in the past.. I've seen some elite players flame out in their lower 30's, which happens. I just don't want to see a healthy amount take a nosedive in their skill sets until 35+ if all possible.

Low contact guys that hit for power don't usually hold up as long. Just isn't very often that an elite contact hitter falls on his face at 30 years old.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I seem to recall a huge-mongus thread talking about this very thing a while back. I am sure it isn't all that hard to find. Might be hard to read though.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Each year prior to release I am running hundreds of test seasons and examine the aging / development results. And every year the engine is tweaked to that it produces the most realistic number when using the default settings. The problem, of course, is that everyone seems to have a different opinion on what's "realistic". There are numrous studies out there covering the topic of development / peak / aging, and so far they all come to slightly idfferent conclusions. So, there is no way to tell what's 100% realistic. I personally feel the default values in OOTP produce great results.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Part of the issue with aging, I am sure, is the same issue folks have found with NFL quarterbacks: for 30+ guys, something like half of the "drop off" occurs during a player's last season. That can mean that the shape is relatively flat until the end comes but it can also mean that if a 35 year old guy has an unlucky season, he's far, far less likely to be given a 2nd chance than if a similarly talented 25 year old has that kind of year. That's why I assume that even after Markus has set up aging so that it looks like real life, I will still flatten out the aging curve a bit for my game.

I had pretty good success with 1.1 development and .9 aging for both sides. The .375 is pretty radical, I think, although if you get good results with it...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Those that play the seasons out as a manager/GM.. Do the default settings work alright 5-10 years down the road?

Using the default settings in the past.. I've seen some elite players flame out in their lower 30's, which happens. I just don't want to see a healthy amount take a nosedive in their skill sets until 35+ if all possible.

Low contact guys that hit for power don't usually hold up as long. Just isn't very often that an elite contact hitter falls on his face at 30 years old.
I have imported my league version to version from v4 to v13 and will again import it into v14. I use default and have been happy with it though I admit I don't micro-analyze my players aging. My world feels real and too me and that is all that matters.

FWIW I play out every inning of every game so only get in 2-3 seasons per version. If I adjusted modifiers it would be a nightmare trying to figure out if they even had any effect. I think default is fine because of Markus' post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Each year prior to release I am running hundreds of test seasons and examine the aging / development results. And every year the engine is tweaked to that it produces the most realistic number when using the default settings. The problem, of course, is that everyone seems to have a different opinion on what's "realistic". There are numrous studies out there covering the topic of development / peak / aging, and so far they all come to slightly idfferent conclusions. So, there is no way to tell what's 100% realistic. I personally feel the default values in OOTP produce great results.
So in the end I trust Markus and his test results and the tweaks he makes from version to version. I have neither the time nor inclination to test and tweak when Markus has already done it for me. Over the course of many versions and many seasons in those versions my league may "drift" a bit up or down and that is ok with me.

YMMV
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

When I saw the post about the age modifiers being back at .375 and .25 I thought that was a bit extreme. Just for the hell of it, I gave those modifiers a shot, and though I don't have any fancy graphs those numbers produced extremely realistic players regression to me.

Plenty of guys still flamed out in their early 30's but there were those select few that played well into their late 30's and even early 40's. The default settings were good don't get me wrong, but when I adjusted them I was getting a 4000 hit guy every 50 years, or a 700 HR guy. That just rarely happened on the default aging modifiers for me.

So yes I want to transfer my league over to v14 and would like to know if the aging has been tweaked in this version. If it hasn't then thats perfectly fine and Ill use the modifies that the community put together and work so well. If it has been adjusted I guess I'll have to wait around for new modifies as I doubt the default settings at whatever they're at will produce the results the community settings did.
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroberts1991 View Post
, and though I don't have any fancy graphs those numbers produced extremely realistic players regression to me.
You do realize that without these not so fancy graphs (FYI the one I posted was RL data from RL baseball and had nothing to do with modifiers or OOTP) you have no clue what the modifiers you used did to the population of your league. Personal impressions are not data.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
phightin
All Star Reserve

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lb-league.html

FYI, For those wanting the link to the thread. IMO these settings we produced are superior to the defaults in terms of a realistic MLB modern day aging spectrum. If you look at the charts you can clearly see older players 30+ are not getting enough at bats and producing at a high enough level throughout the entire league. Pitchers are there too. There is a ton of data produced to back this up thanks to some great work by the people that contributed.

I have no idea if the default aging and development will be better this time around. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Even if it isn't, as long as the engine functions in a similar way I assume these settings may work, and/or, may need to be tweaked.

Also, I have simed hundreds of seasons ahead using these settings and there are not too many older players in my view. The average age of my league is still roughly 28 with some players able to have longer actual careers and produce in their 30s. IMO, using the default settings your league actually trends too young in terms of the production of your hitters. The defaults for pitching are not as off.

Last edited by phightin; 04-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.
phightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

I don't know the exact settings off the top of my head but I have been using the NABA fictional mod for OOTP 13 and the aging development settings on that have produced some outstanding results. The majority of players seem to be peaking/hitting prime years at 27-33 years old. But then even as they decline I am stilling seeing some nice batting numbers into their mid/late 30s although their fielding typically takes a nose dive (but not always). I have had several players be very effective even at 40 or 41 years old.

The only thing I don't like is that the players never seem to lose speed or base stealing. Maybe this is more of an OOTP thing than a settings thing. I think seeing players slow down as they age would be a nice extra touch (if it is not already there and I just haven't noticed).

Bottom line is I would suggest checking out the settings for the NABA mod, they have worked well for me.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote