Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Does the AI ever miss diving catches?

I haven't seen one yet. They nab them all.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
There are traps. I've never seen like a miss or error.

But again the visual is only a simulation of the pbp so if its going to be an error it probably just shows that animation
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

But again the visual is only a simulation of the pbp so if its going to be an error it probably just shows that animation

Or if it falls in for a hit the animation will show that.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
There are traps. I've never seen like a miss or error.

Yes I realize the visual is not the real representation of what happens as we go by pbp. I'm talking about statistically not failing a dive catch in 2 seasons of play. At the tail end of my second season and I haven't seen a diving catch miss or get an error. It seems automatic.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

what he is saying is that they aren't actually diving.. that's an artistic representation.

so, he didn't actaulyl dive that many times, most likely... and the error rate.. simply look at his fielding percentage. they make errors and those errors will split up in a proportionate way relative to your League Totals and modifiers. maybe even some other miscellaneous settings.

whether it's a blanket error % or it actually differentiates based on difficulty of the play somehow, i have no idea. i think it's just a blanket % relative to the player. not outlandish to think the random seed the batter rolled is important too a harder hit ball has to be more difficult right? plus, it already exists in game to some extent with how balls in play are dealt with - possibly.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
what he is saying is that they aren't actually diving.. that's an artistic representation.

so, he didn't actaulyl dive that many times, most likely... and the error rate.. simply look at his fielding percentage. they make errors and those errors will split up in a proportionate way relative to your League Totals and modifiers. maybe even some other miscellaneous settings.

whether it's a blanket error % or it actually differentiates based on difficulty of the play somehow, i have no idea. i think it's just a blanket % relative to the player. not outlandish to think the random seed the batter rolled is important too a harder hit ball has to be more difficult right? plus, it already exists in game to some extent with how balls in play are dealt with - possibly.
But they are diving because the pbp is saying they make a diving catch. I don't even pay attention to the animation. I watch pbp and it tells the story. It's successful way too much.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I see plenty of times where the PbP says the outfielder dives but comes up short or traps the ball.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I see plenty of times where the PbP says the outfielder dives but comes up short or traps the ball.
Haven't seen that once yet in 2 seasons. I must be unlucky.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Haven't seen that once yet in 2 seasons. I must be unlucky.
I saw one just now, but like others have said, it was a diving trap. I have not seen any plays where the fielder dives and the ball gets passed him.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:08 AM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it completely asthetic and superficial. don't read into it.

it probably is just triggered to happen X out of Y fly balls etc... in the pbp, and therefore 3d animation, but nothing to do with the actual engine determining results. i coudl relate to the engine too, iguess, but seems like a lot of work for a small aspect. it could be part of the calculations.. determining % of 'tough' catches and then reducing likelihood of success even further in that context etc etc.. but i don't think its resolution goes that deep.

it is most likely just for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-04-2019 at 02:11 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
Reed
All Star Starter

Last night, 2x in 4 games, player dove for ball in front of them and trapped it for a hit.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
tward13
All Star Starter

And I think what he's asking for is another 3D representation to make it more interesting. I watch the 3D and don't read the PbP. So how about a new animation so that on 1 out every so many doubles or triples the guy dives and it goes by him. Doesn't change the stats at all, just a new animation to make it more interesting
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #13
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Quote:

it probably is just triggered to happen X out of Y fly balls etc... in the pbp, and therefore 3d animation, but nothing to do with the actual engine determining results. i coudl relate to the engine too, iguess, but seems like a lot of work for a small aspect. it could be part of the calculations.. determining % of 'tough' catches and then reducing likelihood of success even further in that context etc etc.. but i don't think its resolution goes that deep.

I don't know if it's related, but the game has to get that expanded fielding stats from somewhere?

The game does use ball location, hit type, EV - could it all work into putting the chance in one of these buckets and then working the calculations use things like fielder range and foot speed?

Not sure it's related to the diving, but I could see some "hints" about what's going on under the hood being embedded in the text, animations, crowd reactions, etc.

Obviously, I know nothing for sure, but if the game isn't determining "chance difficulty" in the engine, where is it getting data for things like the expanded fielding?
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:

If it is in the PbP then it shouldn't be "superficial". I sure hope that when the PbP says "a lesser fielder wouldn't have made that play" that it isn't superficial. Likewise, when it says someone had to make a diving play then I should be able to infer that a lesser fielder may not have made that play or even that this fielder may only make the play a certain percentage of the time and he happened to get "lucky" this time.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If it is in the PbP then it shouldn't be "superficial". I sure hope that when the PbP says "a lesser fielder wouldn't have made that play" that it isn't superficial. Likewise, when it says someone had to make a diving play then I should be able to infer that a lesser fielder may not have made that play or even that this fielder may only make the play a certain percentage of the time and he happened to get "lucky" this time.
Good comment. My thinking is that if a lesser fielder is there then the play result changes. However I have read that the play result comes first then the "how did it happen" next. If that is so then I share your concern.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If it is in the PbP then it shouldn't be "superficial". I sure hope that when the PbP says "a lesser fielder wouldn't have made that play" that it isn't superficial. Correct Likewise, when it says someone had to make a diving play then I should be able to infer that a lesser fielder may not have made that play or even that this fielder may only make the play a certain percentage of the time and he happened to get "lucky" this time. I don't know for certain, but this is most likely correct.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote